Options

RAW or JPEG

3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
edited March 9, 2005 in Cameras
Can someone please tell me why I would want to use the RAW format on the camera? I don't see the advantage of using RAW.

Thanks
kc7dji

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    Have you ever missed the exposure, and needed to add some light, or lose some light? Have you ever messed up your white balance?

If not, then the advantages of RAW may be lost on you. But for the rest of us mere mortals, the ability to fix mistakes like white balance and exposure is a huge plus.

And for those with the right software, you can also more easily correct chromatic abberration and color noise. Shadows and highlights too.

In other words, RAW offers no advantages for the perfectly exposed photograph. But it does offer the photographer tools for fixing problem shots - problems which may not become apparent until you check the shot in post.

And you can use the exposure tool to your advantage. You can deliberately underexpose a shot in RAW to gain shutter speed, for example, knowing that in post you can push the exposure by a couple of stops and get the shot you wanted. You can also compensate for digital cameras' narrow dynamic range by making two exposures in RAW: one exposure for the shadows, a second exposure for the bright bits, then combining them in photoshop using Layers.

RAW is a great tool for saving shots, and for creatively solving problems.

I recommend your do a search for RAW here, and see how many posts there are which discuss this subject.

And welcome aboard!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    kc7dji wrote:
    Can someone please tell me why I would want to use the RAW format on the camera? I don't see the advantage of using RAW.

Thanks
    kc7dji
    Hi,

It all depends on your workflow. I shoot only in RAW because it gives me greater lattitutde in my postprocessing.

When you shoot in jpeg the camera applies the set white balance to the shot, it will compress the file, it will apply sharpending, etc to the picture. When you process the pic these settings can't be changed. When you shoot in RAW the camera records all the info captured by its sensors. Nothing is carved in stone as it is in jpeg and you can change the WB settings etc in your post processing.

RAW shots require a bit more post processing than jpegs but for me deliver higher image quality. A much clearer and better explanation can be found here http://luminous-landscape.com/essays/rawtruth1.shtml
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    what harry and waxy said deal.gif

i'll add:

if you can make your in-camera jpgs to your liking (sharpness, color, wb, and exposure) then shoot jpg... less work in post! i do this, but i also shoot raw+jpg, so that if i *want* to make adjustments in post (typically to w.b. and exposure / dynamic range) i have the ability to do so becuase i have the raw file. with storage so cheap, this makes good sense to me.
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    andy wrote:
    but i also shoot raw+jpg, so that if i *want* to make adjustments in post (typically to w.b. and exposure / dynamic range) i have the ability to do so becuase i have the raw file. with storage so cheap, this makes good sense to me.

I too have begun to shoot raw+jpg when I'm in situations where I'll have enough cf space to do so.

Once I got a handle on setting custom white balance, and getting my exposures right -- I was quite happy with my jpg results. I've still yet to see much benefit to raw -- but it's nice to have "just in case" -- and my skills with raw developing will improve.

Lee
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    Shooting RAW does require more work but for me, I can make adjustments as needed. With JPEG, you can't do as much.

Once you lose the information, you can't get it back. With JPEG, you lose some. With RAW, you lose nothing.
  • Options
    mslammersmslammers Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    One more reason
    JohnR wrote:
    Shooting RAW does require more work but for me, I can make adjustments as needed. With JPEG, you can't do as much.

Once you lose the information, you can't get it back. With JPEG, you lose some. With RAW, you lose nothing.
    With RAW, you are capturing a 16 bit (well 12 bit but captured at 16, and I don't know enough to argue this subject so I use 16 bit in my terminology) vs 8 bit image. Shoot one of each with the RAW+JPEG at fine level and then put the RAW image into PS CS. Check the histogram of each. Then edit each one equally. Then recheck the histogram. See all those gaps in the 8 bit histo? That is data lost forever. You don't lose as much with 16bit. Also with more to start with, you can produce better results, admitedly on the margin, but better nevertheless. However if you have never tried RAW and are happy with your JPEGs all the time, press on. I am like Andy. I capture both. If the JPEG makes me happy, then I just store the negative (RAW is the negative, JPEG is the print).thumb.gif
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    kc7dji wrote:

It depends on many things. What types of photos do you take? What are their intended use? Is the lighting difficult? And how many photos will you take in any given session with the camera? For example, if I'm going to shoot 2,000 photos at a race I shoot JPG. If I'm shooting 100 photos of portraits I tend towards RAW. And contrary to common notions, there is a lot of manipulation you can do in a JPG in post. White balance is very hard, but exposure and shadow corrections are all entirely possible. Noel Carboni has excellent Photoshop CS actions for this. http://home.att.net/~ncarboni/DigiPhoto.html

I like Andy's approach of RAW+JPG. Most of the time the JPG will be right, and as you learn to use the camera you will get JPG correct more and more often, needing the RAW less. One thing that I have found, however, with my Canon 20D is that I prefer the Canon EVU converter over Adobe's ACR. I think this is because I like the look of the in-camera JPG, and Canon's converter gets me this look with ease compared to ACR.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    kc7dji wrote:

Thanks
    kc7dji
    You've already gotten some good answers from the usual suspects. But before I answer, I'd like to ask you a question:

What type of photography do you enjoy? Snapshots? Art? Journalism? Landscapes? Still life? ear.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2005
    Reply to Fish.
    fish wrote:
    You've already gotten some good answers from the usual suspects. But before I answer, I'd like to ask you a question:

What type of photography do you enjoy? Snapshots? Art? Journalism? Landscapes? Still life? ear.gif
    Well lets see... mainly Landscapes and Journalism. I do tend to get a lot of portrait request in the form of Faimily Christmas photos and Wedding photos. I have a weeding to shoot in May. I've done a lot of weedings in the past but with the ole rugged film camera. This will be my first shot with Digital and I'm torn between the Rebel XT and the 20D.

Thanks for the reply
    ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2005
    kc7dji wrote:
    Well lets see... mainly Landscapes and Journalism. I do tend to get a lot of portrait request in the form of Faimily Christmas photos and Wedding photos. I have a weeding to shoot in May. I've done a lot of weedings in the past but with the ole rugged film camera. This will be my first shot with Digital and I'm torn between the Rebel XT and the 20D.

Thanks for the reply
    ne_nau.gif
    Okay. For journalistic and family shots, it's probably just fine to shoot large jpegs. If you get the 20D, you'll find that the camera does a fantastic job on parameter 1 and you won't have to adjust the images much...which is great for volume shooting. For landscapes (and maybe even weddings) you may choose to shoot RAW to give you more flexibility in adjusting exposure and other settings (as have been mentioned before).

Some people only shoot RAW, some people only shoot JPEG, but I tend to shoot about 70% JPEG and 30% RAW, depending on how important it is for me to get the image "right" versus volume and speed. Like all other things in life, it's a tradeoff, and it's nice to have the option.

Does this help?

fish
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2005
    Thanks
    fish wrote:
    Okay. For journalistic and family shots, it's probably just fine to shoot large jpegs. If you get the 20D, you'll find that the camera does a fantastic job on parameter 1 and you won't have to adjust the images much...which is great for volume shooting. For landscapes (and maybe even weddings) you may choose to shoot RAW to give you more flexibility in adjusting exposure and other settings (as have been mentioned before).

Some people only shoot RAW, some people only shoot JPEG, but I tend to shoot about 70% JPEG and 30% RAW, depending on how important it is for me to get the image "right" versus volume and speed. Like all other things in life, it's a tradeoff, and it's nice to have the option.

Does this help?

fish

Yes it helps a lot. Thanks for everyone's input. Today is my first day on this site and I've got more questions than answers :D

Thanks again and hope to see you around.thumb.gif
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    You can see another thread where I posed this question.

That was before I got an L series lens and a decent prime.

I will only use RAW now. These lenses do not cause me extra work. Noise? Nah, almost non-existant. Having a fast lens is expensive, but the quality is awesome.

The ability to adjust exposure is key. Trust me, if want to get serious about this, use RAW. I was in the same position as you not more than a few days ago.
  • Options
    KeithAlanKKeithAlanK Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    My guide (if I had RAW) would be jpg for speed and RAW when I have time.
    :bigbs
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2005
    kc7dji wrote:
    Yes it helps a lot. Thanks for everyone's input. Today is my first day on this site and I've got more questions than answers :D

Thanks again and hope to see you around.thumb.gif

Glad to hear it, kc7dji. Welcome to dgrin. And remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people. :lol

Now start shooting and let's see some images. I'd also be interested to hear your thoughts after shooting some RAWs.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2005
    KeithAlanK wrote:
    My guide (if I had RAW) would be jpg for speed and RAW when I have time.
    I'm pretty sure that's what I said, just not as efficiently. :):

I just checked out your blog...wow, you've got some great shots! I look forward to seeing some more from you. Welcome to dgrin, KakTex.

btw, if you want to change your username to match your blog, let me know.

This one just absolutely rocks:

kaktexhoneyinprogress9sb.jpg
  • Options
    ndsimmndsimm Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    mslammers wrote:
    (RAW is the negative, JPEG is the print).thumb.gif
    I never thought of it like that. I'l be shooting RAW from now on, especially since I took some building shots and lost some detail I couldn't get back, thanks for the info
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 7, 2005
    fish wrote:
    ...remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

:whip
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    fish wrote:

That's the best advice I've heard of any RAW versus JPG debate yet.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    Does shooting RAW (or RAW + jpg) impede camera performance such as FPS and write time???
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited March 9, 2005
    PeterGar wrote:
    Does shooting RAW (or RAW + jpg) impede camera performance such as FPS and write time???
    Yes. You're writing 2 files to the memory card. Let's say you're shooting
    with a 1DMKII. The jpeg might be 2MB in size and the raw, 8MB.
    The 1DMKII's frame rate is 8fps. With camera buffering, you can shoot
    something like 13 frames before the buffer is full (RAW+L JPEG). If I shoot
    raw only, the buffering is almost 20 frames. JPEG only, 30+ (depending on
    jpeg quality).

Depending on the media you choose, performance may be enough to keep
    up with 8fps or not (again, depends on your image size/quality).

In my experience, spinning media, like a 4GB Hitachi MicroDrive, is significantly
    slower than an 80x Lexar card.

As always, YMMV.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?