Options

My 40d Hit The Pavement

saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
edited January 14, 2008 in Cameras
My Canon 40D hit the asphalt today as it wrapped itself around my ankle (forgot it was by my feet!) and jumped out the car before me. It didn't fall far, and fortunately I had a lens hood on. However, the live display monitor is not working now. Even though it was taking photos okay, I changed lens to make sure the lens was not part of the problem. It seems okay. I can display the camera menus and the playback, but I cannot see any live display. I am hoping there is some button I have hit that is causing this and it doesn't have to be shipped off for repairs, but I can't think of what could cause it? Any ideas? Will Canon cover me drop-kicking my camera? :huh

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited January 13, 2008
    Does it "play back" images OK?

If so, I wonder if the camera reset itself? Check the "Live View function settings" in the second "wrench" menu.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2008
    Ziggy, when I checked it said "Disable". I toggled back and forth and could get no difference. .... I've never played with this feature in the settings. Nothing appears to change display-wise. headscratch.gif

Yes, the playback works.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2008
    There is a tiny nick on the bottom corner of the camera where it hit the asphalt and it is right next to the playback/display button. I'm wondering if it is somehow stuck in playback mode even though I am able to toggle the button.
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    I'm totally bummed for you. It sounds as though it could have been much worse, though.

By any chance do you have the camera on "green" program or one of the custom functions? Live view does not work at these settings. It's long shot, but I thought maybe. . . .
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Canon in Irvine
    I am sorry to hear that the camera got injured....If you are in Orange, you are fortunate because Canon repair is in IRVINE right off of the 5 near the Irvine Spectrum.

I've driven down there and they have always repaired or serviced for me while I've gone to have lunch. They are most accomodating in person.
    Tommyboy wrote:
    I'm totally bummed for you. It sounds as though it could have been much worse, though.

By any chance do you have the camera on "green" program or one of the custom functions? Live view does not work at these settings. It's long shot, but I thought maybe. . . .
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2008
    Tommyboy wrote:

It's set on AV which I normally use and don't stray from much. I tried other modes, but nada! Thanks.....I'm always hopeful it could be something simple that I'm not thinking about!
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    I feel your pain. I was once on a spendy snowboard, and skated over a small protruding lava rock at Mt Bachelor, and that sound it made, the scraping,--I just knew. I'm willing to bet that's how you felt when you heard it clatter, and realized. As much as it sucked, my board only took a bit of petex to repair. Hope your injury is purely cosmetic also.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited January 13, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    I am sorry to hear that the camera got injured....If you are in Orange, you are fortunate because Canon repair is in IRVINE right off of the 5 near the Irvine Spectrum.

I've driven down there and they have always repaired or serviced for me while I've gone to have lunch. They are most accomodating in person.

Thanks ChatKat...at least I won't have to worry about mailing it in! I've always heard good things about Canon's service and that's comforting. I can't believe I did what I did! I've dropped my 20D a couple of times at much higher drop and not hurt it at all. Guess my luck ran out. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    I feel your pain. I was once on a spendy snowboard, and skated over a small protruding lava rock at Mt Bachelor, and that sound it made, the scraping,--I just knew. I'm willing to bet that's how you felt when you heard it clatter, and realized. As much as it sucked, my board only took a bit of petex to repair. Hope your injury is purely cosmetic also.

Yeah, I know that feeling...right as it's happening you are kicking yourself!!! I'm hoping it's not too bad....funny that all the display functions work, menus, etc. Thanks for your concern!
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Maybe a long shot, but did you try taking out the main battery and the little button battery and letting it sit for a while so it will reset itself?

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Having had a similar experience myself I now insure all my gear.
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    I was luckier...
    I fell on the street and my 220# body landed on top of my camera. The "L" lens hit the ground (actually asphault - not concrete) and the generic, round-metal screw-in lens hood hit first.

The hood was toast (eight bucks down the drain) but the 30D camera and the 70-200mm f/4L IS lens came through unscathed (a couple of thousand bucks saved).
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    My Canon 40D hit the asphalt today as it wrapped itself around my ankle (forgot it was by my feet!) and jumped out the car before me. It didn't fall far, and fortunately I had a lens hood on. However, the live display monitor is not working now. Even though it was taking photos okay, I changed lens to make sure the lens was not part of the problem. It seems okay. I can display the camera menus and the playback, but I cannot see any live display. I am hoping there is some button I have hit that is causing this and it doesn't have to be shipped off for repairs, but I can't think of what could cause it? Any ideas? Will Canon cover me drop-kicking my camera? eek7.gif

I'm suffering in sympathy, saurora. Hope this bad will quickly pass and you're snapping happily again soon!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix