Street: Crossings, Scenes from Puget Sound Ferries

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited January 15, 2008 in Street and Documentary
Crossings: Travels on Puget Sound

243378998-X2.jpg

243377629-X2.jpg
Bremerton to Seattle Ferry | January 12, 2007 | Thomas Hyde

I think this could end up being a long-term project and although this kind of subject has been photographed ad naseum, i hope i'm bringing a little bit of my own style to it. What do you think ... is this interesting to you, do you think it holds promise as an extended essay project?

Input greatly appreciated :))

tom

Comments

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    I ride the ferries quite a bit...and I like these. B/W works so well on Puget Sound. Boy, the ferry system here is in the news almost daily, isn't it. Our fleet is getting old, and the powers that be need to find some money, because the WFS is so vital here.
    Growing with Dgrin

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 14, 2008
    yes-
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    I ride the ferries quite a bit...and I like these. B/W works so well on Puget Sound. Boy, the ferry system here is in the news almost daily, isn't it. Our fleet is getting old, and the powers that be need to find some money, because the WFS is so vital here.

Right, bad weather can make for good photos, especially in B & W. I rarely ride the ferries but am amazed at the photo possibilities everytime i do ... quite probably because i do it so rarely, it always seems fresh. thanks for the input :))
    edited January 14, 2008
    gefillmore wrote:
    yes-

lol-thank you-
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    I don't know how you nail such dramatic lighting but your photojournalistic shots always look so film noir thumb.gif
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 14, 2008
    seastack wrote:
    lol-thank you-

welcome-
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    this is definitely interesting to me. awesome stuff.

keep doin whatever you're doin because it is outstanding
  • kelsowkelsow Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Love these.

Yes, they would make a great essay.
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    thumb.gifthumb Two thumbs up! These are fantastic!! Thanks for sharing.
  • -Oy--Oy- Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Love the lighting on these! clap.gif
    Wherever you go... there you are!
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Phenomenal! I am always amazed at the sheer artistry and realism you manage to produce from every day situations. A true photojournalist and artist! If you decided to do a series on paper bags I'd gladly pull up a chair.:D
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • VicksterVickster Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Love that second shot posted! I felt cold looking at it . . .
    I'm from the PNW too and maybe the ferry thing has been overdone in this area but only with the typical mundane standard kind of shot . . . yours are not mundane or standard by any means. Most ferry shots make our boats look so glamourous and modern . . . HA!
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Phenomenal! I am always amazed at the sheer artistry and realism you manage to produce from every day situations. A true photojournalist and artist! If you decided to do a series on paper bags I'd gladly pull up a chair.:D
    thumb.gifclap

Awesome! I really love both of them...
    edited January 15, 2008
    What is this?
    Wow, thank you all for the encouragement!!! Didn't really expect all the posts so i'm charged up now. I'm off to the ferry again this afternoon, and i'll see if there are some paper bags lying around ;-) thanks again!

And ...

Discovered an odd little thing in one of the above pictures, can't quite figure out what the heck this is?, have an idea but not sure, very strange, i waited for the seagulls to be in the right spot for this shot and got a little lucky but what else is in here? ... here it is blown up and sharpened as good as it's gonna get ....

243772980-L.jpg
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Just wanted to chime in that I think these are fantastic!!! As far as the mystery in the window...at first I thought maybe just bird poo, but it looks like a mangled gull falling from the sky! eek7.gifheadscratch.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography