Options

New Lens or Camera? 5D or 40D?

kevincookephotokevincookephoto Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited January 18, 2008 in Cameras
Hey guys,

So right now I have the 30D. I have the 24-70L and thats about it right now.

Im debating on selling the 30D and buying the 5D or just getting a new lens (85 1.2). I'm not sure though what would suite me better. To be honest, there's not many times I switch lenses, and as I only have one camera, its hard to carry around a bunch while doing a wedding.

Also, what is the difference between the 40d or 5d? Should I go for the camera or another lens? Or both :x

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Well, I think the biggest thing would be ....

Do you need FF or not? I think that is the biggest question and difference among the two cameras. [of course there are more..]

I hear the ISO comparisons between the 40D and 5D are pretty good in comparison.

I personally would go with getting another lens to join your 24-70L
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,916 moderator
    edited January 17, 2008
    If you are shooting weddings with a single camera you, and your clients, are taking a terrible risk. You are depending on the continued service of a device that I guarantee will ultimately fail.

You really must have a backup camera or you will eventually get burnt. Cameras tend to fail at the worst possible time and for the weirdest reasons.

Backup is just so terribly important for:

Camera
    Lenses (overlap in focal length can suffice)
    Memory cards
    Flash

I suggest that a reasonable strategy for you might be the 40D for now plus a couple of extra lenses. Keep the existing 30D for your backup or second camera.

The 40D is a very respectable camera and my own testing indicates that the autofocus of the 40D is very nice, even in low light. The noise level, especially with the high-ISO NR turned on, is also very respectable and I think I will no longer require as much post-processing for candid JPGs.

I suspect that you might appreciate a faster and wider zoom as well. I recommend an addition of a more "standard" zoom like:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF)
    Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro

This lens range is a bit wider than what you have and allows shooting further up in the aisle during the ceremony with less obstruction from the pews and it allows larger group shots in smaller areas.

You can also do a little better "establish" shot of the church interior and exterior and the reception hall.

You also achieve enough range overlap to allow a backup function or second shooter if required.

Eventually I think you would also like to have a longer telephoto zoom, so maybe one of the 70-200mm lenses from Canon or Sigma.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    I want to echo Ziggy's advice about a back-up camera body. It's simply irresponsible to ask someone to trust you with their once-in-a-lifetime memories if you don't have a backup plan.

I'd go with a 40D and a lens, perhaps. I just got a 40D and a 70-200. Love them.

I wouldn't even consider a 5D until I saw what Canon unveils at the PMA show. It's a poorly guarded secret that they will have a new FF camera. Some rumors indicate that it will be less expensive, too, but I really have no idea.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Tommyboy wrote:
    I want to echo Ziggy's advice about a back-up camera body. It's simply irresponsible to ask someone to trust you with their once-in-a-lifetime memories if you don't have a backup plan.
    I know its not the advice you asked for, but its advice you really need to take. A few months back we hired a photographer for our wedding coming up in May. We would not even consider anyone without back-up equipment. You need a second body, second lens, and second flash. Minimum.

As per which body you should get as a back-up, one thing to keep in mind is the 1D line has a different user-interface than the 40D/5D line. This is a bigger deal than you might think. Do you really want to be scratching your head asking "which body do I have in my hand" when you need to switch a mode, change an aperture or shutter speed, etc.?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If you are shooting weddings with a single camera you, and your clients, are taking a terrible risk. You are depending on the continued service of a device that I guarantee will ultimately fail.

You really must have a backup camera or you will eventually get burnt. Cameras tend to fail at the worst possible time and for the weirdest reasons.

I totally agree - based on personal experience. I have had 2 experiences where something happened to my main camera and the backup saved the shoot both times. I always take 2 bodies.

ziggy53 wrote:
    I suggest that a reasonable strategy for you might be the 40D for now plus a couple of extra lenses. Keep the existing 30D for your backup or second camera.

Thats a good idea.
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I suspect that you might appreciate a faster and wider zoom as well. I recommend an addition of a more "standard" zoom like:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF)
    Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro

This lens range is a bit wider than what you have and allows shooting further up in the aisle during the ceremony with less obstruction from the pews and it allows larger group shots in smaller areas.

You can also do a little better "establish" shot of the church interior and exterior and the reception hall.

You also achieve enough range overlap to allow a backup function or second shooter if required.

I agree on this as well.

If getting a second body with a new lens is too expensive you could get a used 20D or XT or XTi and get a wider lens, and keep your 30D as your main camera. The 30D is a fantastic camera, and though the 40D has come out, that doesn't change the fact that you will always get wonderful results from the 30D. I shoot weddings and I can't do a lot of the shots I want without wider capabilities, and telephoto zoom. So you might put the money toward a nice wide lens like the ones Ziggy suggested, and get a 70-200. Then, just get an affordable backup body like the ones I mentioned.

It is REALLY nice to carry around 2 cameras at weddings. I carry one with my normal zoom, and my other with a prime or telephoto lens. I keep one around my neck and one over my shoulder. This way I can immediately have access to all the range I want for the situation without needing to fumble around with lenses and miss the moment.