Options

Streets of Sighisoara

explorishexplorish Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
edited January 18, 2008 in Journeys
A walk through Sighisoara is like a journey back in time. The city was built by German colonists called "Sachsen" (Saxons), who settled in starting with the 12th century, invited by the Hungarian King to secure the borders of just conquered Transylvania. They came in, allegedly from the ares of today's Rheinland-Luxemburg and settled in well-organized villages and cities. They built a chain of city-fortresses, 7 of them more important, giving the German name of Transylvania - Siebenbürgen, i.e. "7 castles / fortresses". Sighisoara was one of them.

Today it is the only inhabited original medieval citadel in Central and Eastern Europe and one of the most beautiful towns in Romania. If you ask me, the most beautiful :).

The city was built on the top of a hill, surrounded by defense walls and towers. At the top, the most important buildings of a city - school and church. At the bottom, the less important - city hall :) and houses.

DSC_1644.JPG

Each defense tower was built and maintained by one of the city's manufacturer guilds.
The highest and strongest tower served till 1898 as a city hall, since then history museum.

DSC_1568.JPG

It is called the Clock Tower and it is the landmark of the city.

DSC_1590.JPG

The city is small, easily walkable in less than half a day. Its charm lies exactly in this walk.

DSC_1286.JPG

Usually, in summer streets are more and more crowded with tourists, albeit nothing like in famous European tourist centers - few people have, yet, heard of Sighisoara, and of those, even fewer get to go there, as it is not exactly on everyone's way home.

DSC_1287.JPG

But this winter, the narrow streets of cobbled stone were almost empty.

DSC_1281.JPG

Let's take a walk. Under arches

DSC_1282.JPG

and timegates

DSC_1405.JPG

passing by the House with the Stag

DSC_1288.JPG

up towards the school

DSC_1293.JPG

through the 176 steps long covered wooden staircase from 1642

DSC_1402.JPG

Most of the houses are from the late 16th, 17th and 18th century

DSC_1400.JPG

and some even look that old :)

DSC_1395.JPG

some don't.

DSC_1415.JPG

Time to stop at a local Inn for a rest and a hot wine with cinnamon.

DSC_1297.JPG

then we can go down

DSC_1554.JPG

to have a view at the citadel from... "downtown" :)

DSC_1240.JPG

and a look at the Tinners' Tower, the Joseph Haltrich High School and the Church from the Hill.

DSC_1253.JPG

back up

DSC_1603.JPG

for a view of "downtown" (actually, just a few rooftops).

DSC_1274.JPG

Finally, for New Year's Eve, a look at the fireworks from the top of the "Vila Franka" hill, from a restaurant a friend of mine called "Batman House".

DSC_2071.JPG

Happy New Year!

The best thing about a photo is the journey that brought you to it.

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Beautiful photographs !
    weldone clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    A feast for the eyes and soul, from your superb eye and sympathetic soul! You are a traveler who gives more than takes. My favorite is the little crooked street with the blue house '...some don't'.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Wow! What a quaint and special looking place! It seems your imagination could run wild in a setting like that. Thanks for sharing this journey!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Wonderful. The streets speak of the history.
  • Options
    explorishexplorish Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    thanks
    thank you all! i'm glad you liked it.
    on a "touristic" note it is maybe worth mentioning that Sighisoara is allegedly the birthplace of the Wallachian Prince Vlad Tepes ("The Impaler"), historic character which Bram Stoker based is novel "Dracula" on. I didnt mention it deliberately, to see what impression it makes without this information ;), as I think the city has a distinct personality by itself.

It just adds a certain "edge" for a certain fan group ;), as the house still exists. (the yellow one on the right, here in photo I took last year or so):

113323817-M.jpg
    The best thing about a photo is the journey that brought you to it.
  • Options
    pug8pug8 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    What a fascinating town. I like the variegated colours of the buildings; it really adds charm to the place.