Options

Bay Area photo walk/shoot out thingie

BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
edited January 24, 2008 in The Big Picture
Shizam and I are thinking about heading out to the ghost town that is out on the bay past Alviso, probably some time on Saturday. If anyone else is interested in joining us, we can probably put together something more organized and pick a time and meeting place. :D

Here's a silly little video to show you the place I am talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxnCpUQY4bQ
Smug since 2003

Comments

• Options
    edited January 17, 2008
    Ben wrote:
    Shizam and I are thinking about heading out to the ghost town that is out on the bay past Alviso, probably some time on Saturday. If anyone else is interested in joining us, we can probably put together something more organized and pick a time and meeting place. :D

Here's a silly little video to show you the place I am talking about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxnCpUQY4bQ

nobody? everyone is going to leave me alone in a scary place with Shizam? :cry
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    time???

I'll try and clear out my schedule!
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    and there is a thread about this... illegal and not really a safe way to get there. Shmoo really wants to go.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    and there is a thread about this... illegal and not really a safe way to get there. Shmoo really wants to go.

Sam knows a way in... if we get "caught" we play innocent (and delete this thread rolleyes1.gif)

we hadn't really settled on a specific time, probably sometime in the afternoon. I think Sam is thinking 2 hours before sunset or so. Is there a time that works best for you?
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    For me, early morning works best.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    tisun wrote:

It's going to be cold (for our area), perhaps as low as 32 degrees in the morning.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    Yes she does!

For the countless'th time, I wish I were on the correct coast. Good luck and have fun you guys. Hope to see some shots from you next week. :D
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    tisun wrote:

I don't think Sam does early morning, especially not when his wife is out of town. :)

(I am not keen on leaping out of bed too early either)
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2008
    Shuck... Hope you have a good shoot and won't get caught.
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    So I'm aiming to be there at 2:30pm cuz its a 1hr walk and sunset is 5:15, I'll call around and confirm with people. Also, tisun I'd go out sunday morning for sunrise to get a different perspective. Sunrise starts at 7:20 so I'd like to be there at 7:20 which would mean meeting at the place at 6:20. Shoot me a PM and we can try to make it happen.

Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2008
    Shizam wrote:
    Also, tisun I'd go out sunday morning for sunrise to get a different perspective. Sunrise starts at 7:20 so I'd like to be there at 7:20 which would mean meeting at the place at 6:20. Shoot me a PM and we can try to make it happen.

Sam

Ack. I saw this message Sunday night... too late!
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    Welllllll how did this turn out? It is now the Wednesday after I thought you planned to go do this.

Thanks
    Jane B.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2008
    Jane B. wrote:
    Welllllll how did this turn out? It is now the Wednesday after I thought you planned to go do this.

Thanks
    Jane B.
    It went really well. It ended up just being Sam and I, but given the late notice that wasn't too surprising. I am sure Sam got some great photos, but he is lazy in processing them. I mostly played tourist and snapped a few shots here and there.

246563045-L.jpg

246563063-L.jpg

Sam almost dumped his gear (and himself) in the muddy ditch, but it all worked out well in the end. :)
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Ben wrote:
    It went really well. It ended up just being Sam and I, but given the late notice that wasn't too surprising. I am sure Sam got some great photos, but he is lazy in processing them. I mostly played tourist and snapped a few shots here and there.

clap.gif

Is that water on the ground in the second one? Water always makes for great stories. :D
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    clap.gif

Is that water on the ground in the second one? Water always makes for great stories. :D

Yeah, that particular building had the entire floor under water. I loved how it made some of the walls decay to the point where they just hovered right over the water line.
    Smug since 2003