Un-official Unsolicited Vista and Windows 7 Advice Thread

Comments

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    So I'm trying syncback. I like it so far. I'm having one issue though.
    It tells me there's a file w/ invalid syntax in F:\$RECYCLE.BIN\*long list of junk I won't bother you w/*

So I type in F:\$RECYCLE.BIN\ in Windows Explorer address bar to manually delete this file and it let's me go to this folder (doesn't tell me it's an invalid location), so I know it exists even though explorer's not showing me this folder in the "standard" view mode. After I type in the address, it tells me there are no contents in this folder. I'm sure this all has to do w/ that $.

How do I make explorer show what's in there?

Can I change the name and get rid of the $ so it shows in exploere?
    I have explorer set to "show hidden files" too.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Uh isnt that just Recyle Bin? cant you just go into it and delete whatever is there? More importantly why don't you exclude it from the Synback list...why would you backup Recycle Bin?
    edited January 15, 2008
    Copy paste mistake. Check prefious post w/ corrections after you read this.
    It's the recycle bin. But it's on my second internal HD.
    I have two internal HD's one has the OS. THe other has documents. I have externals that I back up to but they aren't causing a problem.

Main HD> "C"
    Second HD> "F"

I don't even want to back this hidden folder up. But I don't see the option to not back it up since I do want a full backup of all visible files.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited January 15, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

I don't even want to back this hidden folder up. But I don't see the option to not back it up since I do want a full backup of all visible files.

In the task profile, click on filter. You can set a list of files/directories to ignore. I set mine to ignore my browser cache, for example.

BTW, I have found in the past that you can get around Explorer limitations by simply opening a DOS window. The command DIR /AH will show all hidden files. I would be wary of renaming or deleting hidden files unless you are very sure you know what you are doing, though. Most of these are put there by the operating system for a good reason.
    edited January 15, 2008
    Much thanks Richard!

Cheers,
    -Jon
    edited January 16, 2008
    So how many posts do you think this thread will have to get before it gets to be a sticky?:D
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    I wonder who at Microsoft got fired for defaulting Windows XP to "Clear Type" = off

IE6, Windows XP:
    20080118-kkhxmni7hqudcb25t92a8cqj54.jpg

Why on earth would a user have to go and specify such a thing, as to have to turn Clear Type On?
    edited January 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I wonder who at Microsoft got fired for defaulting Windows XP to "Clear Type" = off

Why on earth would a user have to go and specify such a thing, as to have to turn Clear Type On?

Because Clear Type does not always help, and can sometimes make matters worse. If you are using an LCD display at native resolution, it's great. If not, well, you may be sorry. I don't know what Msft did in Vista to get around the limitations it has in XP.
    edited January 18, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    So how many posts do you think this thread will have to get before it gets to be a sticky?:D
    wah wah wah

Stuck.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Because Clear Type does not always help, and can sometimes make matters worse. If you are using an LCD display at native resolution, it's great. If not, well, you may be sorry. I don't know what Msft did in Vista to get around the limitations it has in XP.
    Yeah, generally I like it turned off. Depending on the monitor, it can make everything look blurry instead of nicer. Only speaking from XP experience, though.
    Chris
    edited January 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I think the entire dev crew that made IE6 was canned.
    That whole browser was a disaster for people viewing the web and web developers that were learning web code at the time when IE6 was king. Thank God those days are long over! We just have to deal w/ that a little while longer hopefully and that headache will be replaced by IE7. Which in reality is a very nice browser. It's more standards compliant than most any browser out there. So if you can get your code to work in IE7. You practically guaranteed to have it work in all the major competitors. (except baby brother IE6).
    edited January 18, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    a little while longer
    I think corporations will keep this from being a "little while longer" and it could be "quite a while." :cry
    edited January 18, 2008
    That does pose a problem since most ppl that work on machines surf the web to a certain extent everyday (some more than othersmwink.gif). I didn't think about the corp aspect. Good point Andy. thumb.gif
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I think corporations will keep this from being a "little while longer" and it could be "quite a while." :cry
    Are you telling me the military is ahead of corporations???

http://www.acc.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-071206-013.wmv

See that first guy that gets interviewed, Capt. Charles Haag? I went to school with that dude. He's very..."intense" And very, very, very bad at web design. His designs are *EVERYTHING* everyone hates about myspace. lol3.gif

If you care...
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Thank God those days are long over! We just have to deal w/ that a little while longer hopefully and that headache will be replaced by IE7.

Sorry Andy! :nah
    Ballmer heard SloYerRoll and thought it was a great idea. Every employee at every company should have IE 7. Who cares if you have WSUS? IE 7 will automatically install next month, even in corporations who have told it in the past NOT to! You have to Opt Out to Opt In to keep IE 6. deal.gif :bs
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited January 19, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    You have to Opt Out to Opt In to keep IE 6. deal.gif :bs
    Can you give me a viable reason why you should use IE6 besides as a testing platform for web dev? ear.gif
    edited January 19, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Can you give me a viable reason why you should use IE6 besides as a testing platform for web dev? ear.gif

Sure. Imagine you are the CIO of a large corporation with, say, 50,000 copies of IE6 running--among other things--hundreds of custom built applications with Web front ends that are known to work properly. The COO wants to know why the SAP implementation is three years behind schedule and the legal department has just requested a top-to-bottom review of your document retention policies and practices. And those are only two of a dozen competing "number one" priorities. Why on earth would you go and fix something that isn't broken?

As for me personally, I just run Firefox.

Cheers,
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Sure. Imagine you are the CIO of a large corporation with, say, 50,000 copies of IE6 running--among other things--hundreds of custom built applications with Web front ends that are known to work properly. The COO wants to know why the SAP implementation is three years behind schedule and the legal department has just requested a top-to-bottom review of your document retention policies and practices. And those are only two of a dozen competing "number one" priorities. Why on earth would you go and fix something that isn't broken?

15524779-Ti.gif Absolutely!

Plus I think Microsoft is just wrong to force companies to do this. Should be an Opt In to Upgrade, NOT an Opt In to keep your WSUS running the way you configured it. "In their ongoing effort to keep their apps blah blah blah ...". Next thing you know they will make us upgrade to Vista, to protect us from ourselves.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited January 19, 2008
    OK so that's about 10,000 ppl max. And if your the CIO of a company, you should know what your doing or your soon to be parted w/ your prestigious position.
    Any reason for the other 6.6+ billion fellow inhabitants?
    ?
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    OK so that's about 10,000 ppl max. And if your the CIO of a company, you should know what your doing or your soon to be parted w/ your prestigious position.

I know one company alone that was just described to a T in that post, WAY over 10,000 employees... more like 450,000 world wide. In most of these companies teh only people that could even think about asking the CIO to resign are his fellow board members, who all look to the CIO as their compu-nerd... they take his word as gospel on these matters, so of course he's right. Anyway it's time to tee off, they can talk about that complaint from Joe Blow Nobody about the payroll deductions page not working with his "fireblocks" thing after the round. More likely is a serf uprising as the peons in the trenches revolt... sadly the draconian BT/CIO office has methods to deal with those. I suspect the inhouse web developers are cheering for this one... they're probably the only ones inside.
    Any reason for the other 6.6+ billion fellow inhabitants?

Other than they don't know how much pain they're causing web developers? Hey, I did my part and finally got my parents off the IE version that came with win2k... what was that? 4? I won't go into how I did that on this thread. ;)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
    edited January 20, 2008
    cabbey wrote:
    Other than they don't know how much pain they're causing web developers? Hey, I did my part and finally got my parents off the IE version that came with win2k... what was that? 4? I won't go into how I did that on this thread. ;)
    I was talking about 10,000 CIO's globally. Not every employee that belongs to said company.
    No need in :deadhorse at this point. Hopefully someone else will mercifully change the subject.
    edited January 20, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Hopefully someone else will mercifully change the subject.
    I'll be glad to. Slashdot is running an article on specs that have been leaked on the new Lenovo Thinkpad X-300 ultralight. It isn't as cool looking as the Mac Air, but it is a much more serious machine. Highlights: up to 4GB RAM, 64GB solid state drive, 13.3 backlit LED (1440x900) complete wired and wireless connectivity, built-in DVD burner, and a whole lot more at between 2.5 and 3 pounds. Available with XP or Vista. No price or availability mentioned. It sure looks great, but I imagine it will have a price to match.

Cheers,
    edited January 21, 2008
    4GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro not recognized for readyboost?
    I've ran a full (not quick) format in NTFS first and it didn't show me the option to use this for readyboost.
    So I formatted it for FAT32 and it STILL doesn't show me the ability to run this as readyboost.

Specs for my machine are here in case you need it for any reason. Running Vista Ultimate.

I've used my 2GB (same exact type USB) for readyboost and it was just P&P.

What gives?
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    yeah i am sure there is some publication in MSDN or something that explains what it takes to be Readyboost ready...but I have found many cheap thumbdrives are not ready for some reason. I do have a Sandisk cruiser micro 1GB, and when I plugged into the HP laptop with Vista, it told me Readyboost was supported with this thumbdrive.

For some reason, a 1GB Sandisk Ultra II SD card is NOT readyboost ready...go figure.
    edited January 22, 2008
    Thanks for the answer. That is really annoying.
    http://www.sandisk.com/Products/ProductInfo.aspx?ID=1925
    That's the sandisk I have on both 2GB & 4GB versions.

The 2GB version works like a charm for RB. but the 4GB doesn't?
    That sounds pretty lame to me.

Thanks again,
    -Jon
    edited January 23, 2008
    I'm reposting the following question since it got lost ina flurry of posts. I've been going over all Rhuarc's software "recomendations". Man I'm like a kid in a candy store!
    Slo.. wrote:
    I'm sure you'll think I jsut crawled out from under a rock. but what's so cool about UltraMon? I've never heard about this app that needs no introduction. I've been running multiple monitors for quite a while now and the Nvidia control panel seems to be just fine.

?
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I'm reposting the following question since it got lost ina flurry of posts. I've been going over all Rhuarc's software "recomendations". Man I'm like a kid in a candy store!

UltraMon remembers everything. If I use Outlook on the right-hand screen and IE on the right, it remembers. If I have windows sized weirdly and in specific positions, it remembers. One click to move a window from one monitor to another. One click to have it span multiple monitors. A "smart taskbar" that creates a taskbar on the bottom of all windows and puts the taskbar-application-box on the same display as the application is currently displayed on.

Years ago Windows was really, really terrible at multiple monitors. It may be that the Nvidia control panel does a much better job, but I can't imagine anything being better than ultra mon. Give the free trial a shot and see. Maybe we're hooked on functionality that we could get for free now-a-days, but I doubt it.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/tour/
    edited January 23, 2008
    So before I download. I assume I should download the 3.0 Beta version.
    I'm not big on putting Beta stuff on my main machine though. How do you feel it works as far as stability?
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    So before I download. I assume I should download the 3.0 Beta version.
    I'm not big on putting Beta stuff on my main machine though. How do you feel it works as far as stability?

Yeah, if you're using Vista you need the beta, otherwise the "Smart Taskbar" has trouble.

I've been running it for weeks without problems. The one bug I noticed in an earlier beta was corrected in the 1/15 version.

Of course, this is coming from a guy who's running the Vista SP1 beta on his main machine! ;)
    edited January 23, 2008
    Thanks Pupator,

Already downloaded and waiting to hear thatthumb.gif

On another note. I tried syncback and it stopped the b/u process every time it ran into an issue it couldn't resolve. I was able to work around this, but it was a tedious task and didn't put a good taste in my mouth.

So I moved onto synctoy. WOW! that app is great! It feels a bit dumbed down so you don't even feel like your doing anything intelligent. But it works like a champ. Resolving it's issues w/o stopping the copy process.
    I now have complete backups on an external drive that I only connect to my machine at the end of any work night! (finally).
    I'm still gonna buy a drobo eventually. But that just became much lower on the priority list.

Thanks for the cool links guys. I'm checking out logmein tonight since wifey is always asking me for technical support on her machine. I can do most things verbally. But it would be allot quicker if I could just log into her machine and a few clicks. Done!

Cheers,
    -Jon