Options

hammer thrower IR

gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
edited March 9, 2005 in Landscapes
this si a statue in the domain,melbourne.taken in sepia and autolevels brought it down to b/w,usm,contrast.
14125689-M.jpg
Latitude: 37° 52'South
Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    palm trees in ir are just so cool. thumb.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    Greg, I must have missed this. It looks great! Nice idea and execution.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 2, 2005
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    I am not normally much of a fan of the IR stuff. See alot of it on STF. But this was is pretty cool. I agree the palm trees are pretty cool in IR.

Thanks for sharing!

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    canonguycanonguy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Very cool pic. How do you shoot IR stuff. Can anybody post a link to some info. I have always wanted to learn more about it.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    ummmmm.... what does IR mean? ne_nau.gif
    I-Responsible ... look how close he was standing to the hammer thrower!!

Some people though, for some reason, think it stands for Infra-Red. Go figure ...

Fantastic shot Greg!! clap.gif

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    I-Responsible ... look how close he was standing to the hammer thrower!!

Some people though, for some reason, think it stands for Infra-Red. Go figure ...

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    thanks

i use a sony mavica 500 ,which is IR sensitive,and a hoya r72 ir filter and a tripod.i manually white balance from an 18% grey card and thats about it- a little photoshop and there we go.in this case i shot in sepia and then converted to B&W.There are lots of links around the place-sony talk forum in digital photography review has tons of links-andy gathered them together-but its scary in there!
    canonguy wrote:
    Very cool pic. How do you shoot IR stuff. Can anybody post a link to some info. I have always wanted to learn more about it.

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    infrared photography
    Angelo wrote:
    ummmmm.... what does IR mean? ne_nau.gif

you set up your camera to see the light in the infrared spectrum.

here are some of my infrared photos and if you'd like to know more, you can look here.

by the way, to embed a link, in a message, follow the instructions after you click on the blue globe/paperclip icon at the top of the message input window...
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    you set up your camera to see the light in the infrared spectrum.

here are some of my infrared photos and if you'd like to know more, you can look here.

by the way, to embed a link, in a message, follow the instructions after you click on the blue globe/paperclip icon at the top of the message input window...

Andy,

After doing some reading, it seems that the Canon drebel has an IR cut filter by default. Am I correct in saying that you must remove that internal filter for the drebel to be able to pick up IR with the sensor?
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    canon ir
    to check your cameras ir sensitivity,that is how much IR is let in through the internal IR cut filter, take a picture of your tv remotes' ir diode in operation-if you can see the light in your image then it is ir sensitive- to determine how much it lets through will require you to get a hoya R72 filter and to get outside with some bright,direct sunlight behind you.

I also suggest that you search through the links that andy has provided-i am pretty sure he has written a fair bit about his experiences with IR conversion,and probably dosen't want to go down the same path too often..?

if you want to go the whole hog you can have your ir cut filter removed totally and to get this done you should search for maxmax conversions.

good luck

greg

AN
    aero-nut wrote:
    Andy,

After doing some reading, it seems that the Canon drebel has an IR cut filter by default. Am I correct in saying that you must remove that internal filter for the drebel to be able to pick up IR with the sensor?

• Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    gtc wrote:
    to check your cameras ir sensitivity,that is how much IR is let in through the internal IR cut filter, take a picture of your tv remotes' ir diode in operation-if you can see the light in your image then it is ir sensitive- to determine how much it lets through will require you to get a hoya R72 filter and to get outside with some bright,direct sunlight behind you.

I also suggest that you search through the links that andy has provided-i am pretty sure he has written a fair bit about his experiences with IR conversion,and probably dosen't want to go down the same path too often..?

if you want to go the whole hog you can have your ir cut filter removed totally and to get this done you should search for maxmax conversions.

good luck

greg

AN
    Cool, I'll give it a try. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    further info
    a dslr may have some problems in IR compared to a digicam, so check the halls of wisdom and the techniques part of this site to get more info.