Options

Dealing with seamless paper background

eichert12eichert12 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited January 22, 2008 in Technique
Yesterday I setup my PVC paper stand and did some experimentation, despite not having sufficient lighting gear. So I got a 108" roll of seamless white paper, and built a paper stand out of PVC pipe. What was most surprising, although it probably shouldn't have been, was how amazingly hard it was dealing with a roll of paper so big! I think part of my problem was that I didn't put the roll of paper on the top cross bar but instead laid it on the ground behind the "stand" and had it go over the top cross bar and then down in front. Anyway, it led me to have the following questions

1) For those that have a stand built out of PVC, do you typically leave the roll in the top cross bar and then unroll it when you shoot?
2) What's the secret to rolling the paper back up and keeping it "tight" on the roll?
3) Do you always work with the whole roll, or do you unroll it to the necessary length, cut it, and work with the paper separate from the rest of the roll?
4) I was having problems with the edge of the paper ripping vertically, which was a major problem if I didn't cut above where the rip stopped horizontally. Is that typical, or was it just a symptom of a newbie not knowing how to handle the paper?

Thanks,
Steve

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Hey Steve,

I've actually built a few different type backdrop stands for different needs. I think they are great and incredibly sturdy unless you need to transport them. But there are bungee cord options for that. (Kind of like collapsible tent poles)
    1) For those that have a stand built out of PVC, do you typically leave the roll in the top cross bar and then unroll it when you shoot?
    No, backdrop paper as you discovered is surprisingly strong and can take quite a beating. I normally roll out a length that works. Then write the length of the paper somewhere on the PVC what length goes to where in sharpie. (more on your question in another answer lower)
    2) What's the secret to rolling the paper back up and keeping it "tight" on the roll?
    I don't use paper multiple times so I'm not positive. But I've worked in a large format printing company so I'm very familiar w/ heavier roll substrates (paper). Keeping even pressure on both sides is very important. Also if there's a way for you to provide tension on the unwound paper, that will help allot. I guess this would be a good reason to leave the roll of paper on top of your backdrop. The heavy paper would provide it's own tension w/ gravity. It would probably suck the life out of your arms though.
    3) Do you always work with the whole roll, or do you unroll it to the necessary length, cut it, and work with the paper separate from the rest of the roll?
    Unroll, cut, store the roll away so it doesn't get damaged. If I ever had to take a backdrop on location. I'd do the same and just get some large document shipping tubes and store your backdrop in one of those for transportation. Don't forget to pack two backdrops! Inevitably, one will be stained or get torn and you will be SOL w/o a backup.
    4) I was having problems with the edge of the paper ripping vertically, which was a major problem if I didn't cut above where the rip stopped horizontally. Is that typical, or was it just a symptom of a newbie not knowing how to handle the paper?
    It depends which way the grain of the paper is. Do a little test w/ a normal sheet of paper. Tear the paper one direction top to bottom then take an identical sheet and tear it perpendicular to your previous tear. You'll see that one way tears almost perfectly straight and easily and the other tears crooked and all over the place. Normally roll paper like this is manufactured w/ a horizontal grain since the manufacturer assumes you'll be using a sharp blade to cut edges. The fix? Just run a bead of gaffers (or duct) tape across the edge tight after you cut the sheet to size. This will give you all the strength you need.

Good luck w/ your new backdrop thumb.gif
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Hey Steve,
    Post photos of your stand.
    I never had the guts to use 104" paper. 54" is enough of a pita for me and my pvc stand. I usually use the top "rail" of my stand to hold the roll, and just pull down from there. I use a clip on either end to keep the whole damned roll from unspooling (don't ask me how I know it'll do that).
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    eichert12eichert12 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Thanks for the ideas. I was thinking that I should tape the edge to prevent the tearing, but with two kids running around I didn't have time to look and not have them knock everything over on top of themselves :)

When I started rolling the paper back up, quite unsuccessfully I might add, I decided to cut a piece of the appropriate length so next time I won't have to deal with the whole roll. It very loosely rolled at the moment so I need to attemp to re-roll is to it fits back in the tubing it came in to stay safe.

Regardling posting pictures of my stand, I'll try to remember to take some pictures of it and post next time I set it up. I don't have a permanent place for it, and for some reason my wife doesn't like the idea of me leaving it up in our living room?!?! I think I'll try the 54" paper next time, the 108" is a little much to deal with and the stand necessary to hold it is enormous.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • Options
    JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Well, I guess I use mine a little different than Jon does. Not saying my way is any better. For what it’s worth, here it is.

<<<For those that have a stand built out of PVC, do you typically leave the roll in the top cross bar and then unroll it when you shoot? >>>

Yes.

<<< What's the secret to rolling the paper back up and keeping it "tight" on the roll? >>>

I stand on a step ladder, grab the roll in the center, and roll it up tightly. If you get it skewed to one side, you’ll know it right away, stop, go back a little, and go again. It’s also a good excercise for your arms. When it’s rerolled tight, I put a little masking tape to hold it.

Always work with the whole roll. I don’t think I’ve ever cut it.

If you have a vertical rip that is going to in the image area, then I agree you have to cut it off horizontally. If it’s not in the image area, then I’d tape it.

I use Autopole 2 from Manfrotto as a stand. They work great, never had any trouble. I use white, black, light grey and dark grey seamless, all 9’ lengths. I put a long metal bar through the seamless roll, then place it up on the stand, then pull down the length I need, then I use clamps (clips) to secure each end of the seamless roll (keep it from unrolling). When shoot is finished, I roll it back up and re-use it many times.

I guess I’m pretty careful about paper handling. If the roll needs to come out along the floor (and not just down) so that I might have to walk on it, I take off my shoes.

<<< I don't have a permanent place for it, and for some reason my wife doesn't like the idea of me leaving it up in our living room? >>>

That’s a problem. What they heck are living rooms for, anyways? :D:D

Good luck, Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    JimW wrote:
    Well, I guess I use mine a little different than Jon does.
    I guess I’m pretty careful about paper handling. If the roll needs to come out along the floor (and not just down) so that I might have to walk on it, I take off my shoes.
    And that is where we differ. I always bring my paper down all the way to make an "endless" backdrop. So I'm not going to tell ppl to take their shoes off and be careful when walking on the paper:D
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Roll On Top
    I'm with JimW all the way. Roll on top, like a window blind. And if you have a problem with the paper bowing or curling-in on the sides -- not hanging flat -- just place another metal bar across the bottom to pull the paper a bit tighter. If it bows too much, the paper is getting too old and dried out.

I found PVC to be too flimsy. (It may even be more expensive than a nice stand set, with the price of PVC these days?) It's important to support the roll on a rigid bar so the tube has no chance to bend at all. Bending MAY be what's causing your vieticle tears.
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    xris wrote:
    vieticle tears.
    thumb.gif

Damn, another body part to worry about as I get older. I didn't even know I HAD vieticles, and now I have to worry about them tearing. eek7.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    Damn, another body part to worry about as I get older. I didn't even know I HAD vieticles, and now I have to worry about them tearing. eek7.gif
    Just give 'em the attention they crave and they won't grow any larger. wings.gif
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca