Options

Crumpler bag opinion

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited March 10, 2005 in Accessories
Ok, been using the old Sony bag for carrying around my 20D with the lenses and it is extremely uncomfortable both physically and mentally. I have heard enough good things about the crumpler bags but I am not sure which one would best suit me. Here is my list of info, both that I have and that I am getting:

Laptop
20D
50mm 1.8
70-200 2.8 IS L
17-40L or 16-35L
one unnamed yet mid range L lens
580EX Flash
2 spare batteries
2 spare CF cards
Sandisk card reader

I'd prefer something that had the ability to strap on a mono or tripod but it is not a need presently since that is a bit out there still.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    Ok, been using the old Sony bag for carrying around my 20D with the lenses and it is extremely uncomfortable both physically and mentally. I have heard enough good things about the crumpler bags but I am not sure which one would best suit me. Here is my list of info, both that I have and that I am getting:

Laptop
    20D
    50mm 1.8
    70-200 2.8 IS L
    17-40L or 16-35L
    one unnamed yet mid range L lens
    580EX Flash
    2 spare batteries
    2 spare CF cards
    Sandisk card reader

I'd prefer something that had the ability to strap on a mono or tripod but it is not a need presently since that is a bit out there still.

bb, try the shrinkle. deal.gif
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    I have a few Crumpler bags, and they are great. A new name in the market is getting my attention, Kata.

Their products at B&H
    The bag I'm looking at
    Kata R-102 Review

I have the Crumpler Farmers Double..I think. It has a laptop compartment & some space for body/lens at the bottom. It doesn't have a way to mount the tripod. When I bought the bag, I didn't own a tripod, or care to own one, so it wasn't an issue. Now I have one & would take it more if I had a better way to tote it.

The other bag I have is the 15 Love. Awesome sling style bag. Doesn't look like a camera bag at all. Nice & light, and holds a few lenses & body. Perfect for the quick in & out photo trips.

Dave
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    I have the Brian's Hot Tub, took it out for the last couple of weekends and I really love it. I had it FULLY Loaded and went on a 3 mile hike and it was very comfortable. A waist strap would have helped a bit but I can't seem to find one for the bag.

Crumpler has a new bag coming out called the Karachi Outpost that will have a waist belt built in, but I have no idea on the size of it yet.

Dave, my wife has the Kata 102 and loves it, the bonus with that bag is that you have great access to the camera via a second zippered flap, the downsize is that it just won't hold much for the size bag that it is. The pockets were very poorly designed, be sure to find one and take a look before you order it.
    Ed

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    ehughes wrote:
    I have the Brian's Hot Tub, took it out for the last couple of weekends and I really love it. I had it FULLY Loaded and went on a 3 mile hike and it was very comfortable. A waist strap would have helped a bit but I can't seem to find one for the bag.

Crumpler has a new bag coming out called the Karachi Outpost that will have a waist belt built in, but I have no idea on the size of it yet.

Dave, my wife has the Kata 102 and loves it, the bonus with that bag is that you have great access to the camera via a second zippered flap, the downsize is that it just won't hold much for the size bag that it is. The pockets were very poorly designed, be sure to find one and take a look before you order it.
    Ed

Thanks for the great reply on the Crumpler & Kata. I love the Crumplers for how comfortable they are. I've had too many back operations & need to watch what I carry & how.

Is the Kata comfortable as the Crumpler to carry?

I don't have much gear that I tote around. I've really thinned down my lens collection. I have the D2H & 17-55 that I carry everywhere. In the bag I have a second body w/ my 70-210 attached. Then I'll just need room for the 50mm f/1.4 & lensbaby along with accessories. I'm sure I'll add another lens in the future, but this kit *should* not grow much. The tripod attachment is also a big deal for me.

Thanks again,
    Dave