Boston Time Exposure

dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
edited March 25, 2004 in Landscapes
10 sec. exposure of Boston from the Longfellow Bridge...
Pretty happy with this shot.

-Doug

Comments

• fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2004
    dugmar wrote:

-Doug
    As well you should be! That's beautiful. Welcome to dgrin.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2004
    fish wrote:
    As well you should be! That's beautiful. Welcome to dgrin.
    Thanks Fish. This is going to be a regular hang out for me, I can tell.

-Doug
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 22, 2004
    dugmar wrote:

-Doug
    Great shot Doug.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • bikehikerbikehiker Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    Nice!
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    dugmar wrote:

-Doug
    Very nice Doug... what settings did you use and what time of evening was it.
    thumb.gifLynn
    edited March 23, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Very nice Doug... what settings did you use and what time of evening was it.
    thumb.gifLynn
    Thanks!

I shot this using my Canon Eos Digital Rebel. 10 second exposure, f/5.6, ISO 200. The time was 7PM. The overcast sky picked up the light from the city, giving the orange glow in the sky. Photo was not enhanced or altered in any way.

-Doug
  • TJAmyTJAmy Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    thumb.gif Very pretty.
    edited March 23, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    Thanks!

I shot this using my Canon Eos Digital Rebel. 10 second exposure, f/5.6, ISO 200. The time was 7PM. The overcast sky picked up the light from the city, giving the orange glow in the sky. Photo was not enhanced or altered in any way.

-Doug
    Ahh Ha... digital rebel.. I just bought one and love it. Was the shot on manual or apature Priority? I'm in Athol just up the road from you by the way.

Lynn
    edited March 23, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Ahh Ha... digital rebel.. I just bought one and love it. Was the shot on manual or apature Priority? I'm in Athol just up the road from you by the way.

Lynn
    I love my rebel too. Taken 1500 shots so far!

I just finished a photo class, we weren't allowed to use anything but full manual mode, so that is what I did. Just basically set ISO to 200 and balanced the shot. I was looking for a setting that would give me a 10 second exposure since that is how long it took a car to round that bend (on average.) It took me a while to get it right. I just wanted one car in the frame. Finally, one guy came driving along and I nailed it. His drivng speed was perfect, he got it to the second! He filled the bend in the road perfectly. If you look carefully, you will see the start of another car entering the turn, not too obvious though.

I am in Byfield, up by Newburyport.

Doug
    edited March 23, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    I love my rebel too. Taken 1500 shots so far!

I just finished a photo class, we weren't allowed to use anything but full manual mode, so that is what I did. Just basically set ISO to 200 and balanced the shot. I was looking for a setting that would give me a 10 second exposure since that is how long it took a car to round that bend (on average.) It took me a while to get it right. I just wanted one car in the frame. Finally, one guy came driving along and I nailed it. His drivng speed was perfect, he got it to the second! He filled the bend in the road perfectly. If you look carefully, you will see the start of another car entering the turn, not too obvious though.

I am in Byfield, up by Newburyport.

Doug
    Thanks Doug... lucky you getting to take photography class. I need one desperately...well more than one really, about 2000 would help.
    Lynn
    edited March 23, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Thanks Doug... lucky you getting to take photography class. I need one desperately...well more than one really, about 2000 would help.
    Lynn
    I took a night class at Northen Essex CC. Monday nights, 6 weeks. A total crash course. The instructor's name was Tanya Fusco. She is excellent and I learned a TON. I just ended, I miss it.

Check out her stuff. She is opening a studio very soon.
    http://www.fmcphotobydesign.com

-Doug
  • davemondavemon Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    Nice shot Doug, thanks for sharing. I pop in here once in a while and that is a sweet one. I like it even more because I live just to the left of where you were standing in Boston just off the Longfellow. It's evil though because my poor old C2100 Ultra Zoom maxes out at 2 seconds exposure I think. :)

Dave Spragg
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Lynn

New England School of Photography's spring classes start in the next two weeks. I signed up for Digital Portraiture. I'd actually rather take something on composition, but for the first class I thought it'd be good to take something that focused on digital techniques -- particularly post-processing. (Have to see if they really need Photoshop CS; hope not, that's a lot of money.)

You don't need 2000 classes. If the stuff you've been shooting was all untrained, you have a good eye to start with. Classes would probably help you figure out why the good ones are good, and that'll help you do it more consistently, but you've got a good baseline.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2004
    That's a fine shot, dugmar. I like the green glow.

I'm surprised at how little noise there seems to be at ISO 200. Just curious, why did you choose 200, if you wanted long exposures?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited March 25, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    That's a fine shot, dugmar. I like the green glow.

I'm surprised at how little noise there seems to be at ISO 200. Just curious, why did you choose 200, if you wanted long exposures?
    I was really just experimenting more than anything. I shot in 200, 400 and 800 and this one came out the best of all three. Plus, a balanced exposure was a perfect 10 seconds with 200 ASA with the available light. I needed about 10 seconds even for a car to pass on that section of road.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the photo appear to be more grainy in a higher speed ASA? Is that what you mean by "noise"?

200 usually gets me the most crisp looking images, so I am confused by your question, but eager to learn what you meant.

Thanks,

Doug
    edited March 25, 2004
    davemon wrote:
    Nice shot Doug, thanks for sharing. I pop in here once in a while and that is a sweet one. I like it even more because I live just to the left of where you were standing in Boston just off the Longfellow. It's evil though because my poor old C2100 Ultra Zoom maxes out at 2 seconds exposure I think. :)

Dave Spragg
    Hi Dave, it's Doug from Turner Motorsport. :)