Options

Three Cunard Queens in NYC

esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
edited January 24, 2008 in Journeys
Last Sunday night, a chilly, rainy and windy night in NYC, the three Cundard Queens (the QE2, the QM2 and the Queen Victoria) united for the first (and only) time in NY Harbor.

To celebrate the event, fireworks were lit and a number of tour operators ran boats. I dragged my fiance out and captured some pictures, though the quality of many leaves something to be desired.... rocking boat + moving ship = difficult pictures, though I am sure with increased skill some may have come out better. I also didn't bring a tripod because I didn't know how strict they would be, so everything is handheld.

While we were docked at South Street Seaport, we could see the QM2 docked in Brooklyn.

244395687-L.jpg

Anyway, we began the night traveling up the East River (purposefully in the wrong direction) to kill time...

244395107-L.jpg

244395448-L.jpg

244396451-L.jpg

After a 45 minute wait (with open bar), we headed back south....

244396548-L.jpg

And we swung up the Hudson River...

244397509-

First, the Queen Victoria emerged from her bearth...

244398096-L.jpg

Followed by the QE2...

244398597-L.jpg

244399887-L.jpg

Then the rain started coming down pretty hard and the wind whipped up.....just in time to try and get some fireworks photos! I put my makeshift rain kit (plastic bag with rubber band) on my camera and gave it a go...

244400613-XL.jpg

Crooked, I know...

244400723-L.jpg

After the fireworks ended, we followed the QM2 to see her leaving the harbor towards the Verrazano Bridge:

244399492-L.jpg

All in all, it was a fun night, if not too favorable for photography.

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Good effort to capture a historic event.thumb.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    nice...too bad it had to rain and spoil the night, ya got some great shots though anyhow... good job!
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Nice pics.thumb.gif Thanks.
  • Options
    cunarder534cunarder534 Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Not bad for the elements. Such a shame the QE2 will be leaving us. Thanks for the images.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Not bad shooting handheld at night on a moving boat.
    The imeages may be a bit overexposed and the white balance a touch too warm. I'd consider turning both of those down a touch and see how they look.
  • Options
    WorkingClassHeroWorkingClassHero Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 19, 2008
    Shame about the lousy weather. Pretty good shots under the circumstances. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    LIPhotomanLIPhotoman Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Nice Shots - wish I was there.
  • Options
    534534 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 24, 2008
    GREAT photos! We were aboard the QM2 and about froze to death but SO glad we didn't miss it. Sure wish they had Elizabeth lead us out not follow behind.