Options

The Best Way to Sell

esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
edited January 25, 2008 in Cameras
I am thinking about selling my 20D and a lense and use that cash to put towards purchasing the 40D.

What is the best way to sell?

Here or maybe on ebay?

I live in NYC and B&H offers to buy equipment. Anyone ever do this?

Thanks. :D

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    its easy to get a quote from B&H
    expect the quote to come in at about 25% of what it is valued.
    try the flea market...here at dgrin.
    then shoot for ebay if nobody shows interest
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2008
    Thanks. I already got the quote back- $225. That seems really low to me.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    You can sell it here on dgrin.com. mwink.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2008
    I think I may do that. I just have to minimize the time between no 20D--->40D.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2008
    If you have the means...

You can always buy the 40D now while you have the 20D on sale. Or use the 20D as a backup. Of course that is the ideal plan..
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2008
    If you have the means...

You can always buy the 40D now while you have the 20D on sale. Or use the 20D as a backup. Of course that is the ideal plan..
    I have the means, but not necessarily a willing fiance. deal.gif
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Another option would be Craigslist.com for your area. That way you could have the safety of a cash deal and no fees.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    B&H and Adorama came in extremely low when I asked them for a quote. And then when it hits the used department, it will sell it for 2 to 4 times more than they pay you for it. I bet they will sell that 20D for $550 which you can may be able to get for it if you list it yourself. On the other hand you don't have to worry about a fraudulent transaction. I'd try here. Definitely not Ebay.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    esc2476 wrote:

Eric, sometimes it's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask permission.mwink.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2008
    yukio wrote:
    Eric, sometimes it's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask permission.mwink.gif

Cuong
    rolleyes1.gifI'm still new at this...
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    esc2476 wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifI'm still new at this...

Just like photography, it takes practice. Here's your opportunity to try it, and good luck.:D

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    Fred MaurerFred Maurer Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Another option: Fred Miranda Buy/Sell forum http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2008
    esc2476 wrote:

Then...

I am so sorry. :cry That 40D needs a new home! tell your fiance, that you are saving an orphan!! Want to start a family properly, with a spiffy camera!

..course.. don't take my word, cause... I am not married. haha
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    esc2476 wrote:

:D:DHave you taken a very close look at the difference between theses 2 words: FIANCE & finance.......this should give you the reason why she is not the most willing to part with your hard earned money:D:D
    Make her think of it as an investment with gainable dividends......that usually helps..........:Dmwink.gifwink:Drolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Take advantage before you get married!

thumb.gifdeal.gif

or this will be you

bowdown.gif - pretty please please please please - :cry
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Make her think of it as an investment with gainable dividends......that usually helps..........:Dmwink.gifwink:Drolleyes1.gif

Uh huh. My wife asks me every year when we get to reap the rewards of my NHL PSL - like they are supposed to send us a check.:nah

BTW Art: When I read the above I thought it said "Think of her as an investment with gainable dividends......that usually helps". And I'm thinking "No that would be an operating expense, maybe a depreciable asset" 11doh.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    BTW Art: When I read the above I thought it said "Think of her as an investment with gainable dividends......that usually helps". And I'm thinking "No that would be an operating expense, maybe a depreciable asset" 11doh.gif
    Ouch!!! I DARE you to tell your SWMBO that she is a depreciable asset! That's a sure way to the poor house - as in - go directly to divorce court, do not pass GO, do not collect $200!
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Depending on the extent of tech 'savvyness' of future swmbo - buy the 40D. black tape over the 2 ... yep got the drift ...

...quietly sell 20D at your leisure

<< taken a very close look at the difference between theses 2 words: FIANCE & finance >>

Depending on various factors (accent / pronunciation / dialect / cultural bg etc), possibly dangerous ground ... as the N could be construed as Hen ... as in pecked / chicken legs / clucking etc :)

best of luck

pp
  • Options
    RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Don't listen to them :nono , they're just going to get you in trouble with your fiance nod.gif .

Sell the 20D on Ebay. Just be sure to set your buyer restrictions, and spell out payment terms clearly in the ad. I've been using Ebay for the past 10 years, and have found items usually sell for more than you think they will.

You'll love the 40D!
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I wouldnt stirr the pot with the fiance. Not a good idea... Sell the cam here or on ebay, you will get a decent price on it.
  • Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I can't help you with the SO as I'm oft in trouble for gear related purchases...although I would suggest some sort of covert slush fund (ING, PP account...)

I do buy and sell gear online quite often and I can offer a few tips to that end. I'm not a big fan of ebay for selling. The upside to it is that uneducated buyers can drive a price up, but I think it is much more beneficial to buy and sell via online forums due to the more reliable nature of the community. Sure, feedback works just like it does on ebay, but the community is much closer knit and it does not take long to develope contacts via b/s boards that you know and trust well.

Besides, you may realize that by buying used you save a ton of $$ each time even if the prices appear close to retail cost. Every time you buy used you know you can sell at about that price ove a reasonable amount of time (exceptions exist:D )...but for a lens that period can be quite long. plus you save on shipping an tax each time. Over several transactions this will begin to really add up. I figure by avoiding them it allows me to stay in the B/S game much longer on my limited income...

I would post listings here, on FM, and on CPOTN. I post here first usually to give those I know first dibs but if the board is crawling along and I'm not getting lots of hits I post shotgun ads. Picka post on the FM b/s board and then check back in a half hour/ hr and compard how many views the ad got in that short time. It can be impressive.

Here are a few other hints I can give about buying/selling online:

-The less established you are on the board the more info you should provide(although more info almost always equals better ad). Selling that 20D? Post pics of multiple angles and include samples from the camera. Be able to approximate # of actuations.

-on price: check what prices the item you are selling has been going for recently and cmopare the age/condition of your camera. This is a great place to start your pricing. Also dont be desperate and cave in to lowballers/price police. If your price is a joke it wont sell and that will be all the info you need. Also remember to clearly define who pays paypal and shipping fees. Sometimes its better to inlcude that in the price and say: 20D for $x shipped and paypalled...

Hope that this rambling helpsrolleyes1.gif

-j
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2008
    Big help everyone! I'll digest all this and see.

Thanks so much. thumb.giflust