Options

Numeric Keywords

Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
edited March 10, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I was recently at a sailing regatta shooting images. I need to be able to let people search out pictures that include their sail registration numbers. I have ensured that I have included the sail registration numbers for all boats that are in each frame as a keyword; however, when I search out the numeric keyword (69020 for example) I get zero results.

What gives? Are we not allowed to search for numeric keywords? Is there any way I can make that work? If not, that is really going to be a big problem for me since I stumbled onto a repeating gig of photographing regattas and boat owners (read: photograph buyers) like to see only those pictures that include their boats.

Also forgot to add, there were a dozen or so that I added the keywords directly into smugmug and there were 40 or 50 that I added the keywords via the file info editor in photoshop. All the keywords show up in the top 100 keywords box except for those keywords that are numbers.
Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/

Comments

• Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,747 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    It also seems to be the same where part of the keyword is a number

for example: "R1150GS" doesn't show either
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    GSPeP wrote:
    It also seems to be the same where part of the keyword is a number

for example: "R1150GS" doesn't show either
    Just tried it for myself. When you put such keywords in quotes like you did up there in your post they'll show up. Dashes, dots and other special characters still will be left out.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,747 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    I tried it with the quotes and it works fine.

Thanks for the tip thumb.gif
  • Options
    binicobinico Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 10, 2005
    Has this changed? I am still new but I thought it used to search the file name too. I also use boat #'s to name the photos and we used to use the search for the #'s with no quotes and it worked.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    I have to do the same thing with kart numbers. What I did was not use keywords. Rather I used captions, and I prefix the kart number with the word "kart". Users can then search for kart24, for example.

One thing I like about this approach is I'm not polluting my keyword list with a ton of keywords. The other thing is that I use iPhoto to organize my session into albums prior to uploading to Smugmug. And its very easy in iPhoto to change the "Title" field to include the photo name plus they "kartXXX" information.

Feel free to see my site and try it.

The only thing I wish is if the user had a way to constrain any search to either the whole site, a given category, a given sub-category, or within a particular gallery. I have ideas on how this can easily be done from a user-interface standpoint. For example, suppose you do two sailing events, and the same boat is in two events, and the customer wants to search for the photos from only the second event, not from both?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu