Options

quick release for monopod

magicpicmagicpic Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
edited January 24, 2008 in Accessories
the first question is can you use a quick release for with the heavy 70-200 lens and the second question is what quick release to buy I have a monopod
I would like a lilt to be able to shoot vert and hor thanks..janis
(2) Canon 20d, (1) canon 30d, 70-200is 2.8, tamron 17-50,canon 50mm 1.4
http://www.photographybywidget.com

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    I've found using the tripod collar of the 70-200 is the easiest and quickest way to switch between horizontal and vertical positions. If you're looking for a monopod head on a budget, I'd recommend the Bogen 3229, which gives you tilt and swivel with quick release. If money is not an issue, then look into RRS heads.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    yukio wrote:
    I'd recommend the Bogen 3229

I also endorse this head - great, well built, quick release, and it has a safety option so the quick release plate doesn't accidentally come off. I use it with some large telephoto lenses without any problem.
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    yukio wrote:
    I've found using the tripod collar of the 70-200 is the easiest and quickest way to switch between horizontal and vertical positions. If you're looking for a monopod head on a budget, I'd recommend the Bogen 3229, which gives you tilt and swivel with quick release. If money is not an issue, then look into RRS heads.

Cuong
    But, note that RRS strongly discourages the use of quick-release clamps with large lenses on monopods -- too much risk of accidental release. Also, their quick release clamps all have levelers, useless on a monopod, making them more expensive. They recommend a screw-in type of clamp instead.

Why do I know all this? Because my RRS gear is on a UPS vehicle somewhere between California and my house! :ivar
  • Options
    gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    KED wrote:
    But, note that RRS strongly discourages the use of quick-release clamps with large lenses on monopods -- too much risk of accidental release. Also, their quick release clamps all have levelers, useless on a monopod, making them more expensive. They recommend a screw-in type of clamp instead.

Why do I know all this? Because my RRS gear is on a UPS vehicle somewhere between California and my house! :ivar

But then what would you expect RRS to say about other quick-release clamps? They are trying to sell theirs you know. Plus a 70-200mm lens is not the "Really Long Glass" that RSS is talking about. I have used Manfrottos RC2 system for several years and never had a problem. The lever release on a monopod is no different than on a tripod, it works just fine. The only problem I have ever seen anyone have with the RC2 connections have been caused by operator error.

With that said, I use Arca-Swiss quick-release clamps now on my gear. I switched when I did get some really long glass. It makes finding the balance point easier, something that is very helpful with big glass to keep your arms from getting tired from supporting the offset load on a monopod.
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    But then what would you expect RRS to say about other quick-release clamps? They are trying to sell theirs you know. Plus a 70-200mm lens is not the "Really Long Glass" that RSS is talking about.
    I didn't say I was using the RRS with the 70 - 200 -- I hand-hold that. It will be for 300 f/2.8, which is "reasonably long glass" that in my experience isn't hand-holdable. And BTW, they don't say it about "other" quick release clamps, they say it about their own in comparison their cheaper but, in their view, better suited, model.
  • Options
    PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    I also endorse this head - great, well built, quick release, and it has a safety option so the quick release plate doesn't accidentally come off. I use it with some large telephoto lenses without any problem.

I use the 3229 head with my monopod + sigma 70-200 no problems.
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Sounds like the OP is wanting to do basically what my plan is. So, yes you can use a QR system, my preference is the RRS stuff. On a monopod, the Manfrotto 3232 head will get you the tilt, and an RRS screw clamp will be the preferred "quick release" as already discussed. All I have left to get is the screw clamp.
  • Options
    sacgarzsacgarz Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    My setup
    I shoot night high school football with flash. I too use the Manfrotto 3232 swivel head w/quick release. It supports my 1D MII and Sigma 120-300(nearly 6 lbs) plus my 580 all tied together with a Custom Brackets CB Junior. Needless to say, this is a beast setup. I am quite pleased with the support and performance. If you want more support, just take off the swivel head and mount the quick release directly to the monopod. I use the Manfrotto 681

Good Luck

Andy Garza
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    I have an out-of-the-package but unused Bogen 3229 for sale if you're interested.
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Monopod Quick Release...
    I use a Manfrotto 3421 "Long Lens Support" on my Manfrotto 681 monopod with my two long lenses (300mm f/4L IS and 400mm f/5.6L). The Manfrotto 3421 has its own built in quick release system that looks like an Swiss Arca Mount. In fact, the mounting plate might be compatible with an Arca mounting plate - I don't know since I have never seen an Arca Plate except in pictures. (Note: The Arca compatible plate seems to be the standard and is what RRS and Kirk, as well as some Giottos, quick release systems use). Here is the 3421 but, I use it with the open side of both "U" shaped supports up and the camera riding on the top of the inside "U". I like that better that the way Manfrotto pictures the 3421 with the camera riding upside down. http://www.adorama.com/BG3421.html?searchinfo=3421&item_no=1

I absolutely love this unit and when I purchased it in the Summer of 2007, the price was around $100 (with a supplied plate) while such mounts as the Black Widow cost in the area of $400 http://www.adorama.com/JDBWGL.html
    and a plate was extra for this mount. I was shocked the other day when I saw that the price of the 3421 had been raised to more than $182. That, IMO, is an obscene increase in a six month period.

The 3421 can be used on both a sturdy tripod (I use a Giottos MT-8180) and on a monopod (Manfrotto 681).

Panning and following fast moving subjects is very easy with the 3421 either Tripod or Monopod mounted. I recently shot hydroplane races and followed 150+ MPH hydroplanes with ease.

The 3232 would work, if you don't need the gimbal action of a mount like the 3421, and if your total weight of camera and lens is less than the 3232 can support (the unit is advertised to support 5.6 pounds but, I usually take manufacturer's maximum capacities with a grain of salt).

Many long lenses have tripod rings. Using the ring to switch from vertical to horizontal or to tweak the horizon is easy. The 3232 will allow you to point your lens up or down while still using your monopod perpendicular to the ground (which IMO is the steadiest way to use the pod).

If you are using more than one tripod ring equipped long lens, it is perhaps easiest to leave the tripod ring attached to whatever support you are using and just switch lenses by opening the tripod ring.