Options

Zürich & St. Moritz

explorishexplorish Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
edited January 25, 2008 in Journeys
My friend G. came for a week-end visit, so we took a walk through Zurich. It seems I only get to see the city when friends come over – which is cool, every time I discover something new.
Beautiful sunny day, trickily reminding of spring in the middle of January. The lake was quiet,

IMGP3289.JPG

ready for the song of a bicycle-troubadour,

IMGP3298.JPG

while I was getting fascinated by some weird shapes in those hibernating trees.

IMGP3310.JPG

Ducks were sleeping, as were boats.

IMGP3312.JPG

Funnily, pigeons were all aligned, have no idea what they were preparing for. An attack, most probably.

IMGP3316.JPG

Back towards the center, the view unfolding up on the Limmat river,

IMGP3319.JPG

with the dominant 3 churches.

IMGP3320.JPG

We climbed the largest, the cathedral with the two towers, for a view of the Zurich lake

IMGP3325.JPG

and downtown Zurich.

IMGP3328.JPG

At the railway station, we met a Guggenmusik band, a colorful tradition related to the approaching Fastnacht / Carnival season. (for the sound, here)

IMGP3338.JPG

Later at night, we took a small tour for some night shots

DSC_2613.JPG

DSC_2614.JPG

including some from Lindenhof, an “observation point” I discovered only now, with G.’s visit.

Time to go to bed. Good night!

(St. Moritz will follow)
The best thing about a photo is the journey that brought you to it.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited January 23, 2008
    I think we're missing a few shots?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2008
    yep, there was a problem at the beginning; now i see them all - 13 in total.
    thanks for the observation :)
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2008
    Winter Monaco
    Only 248 of 350 were open. 248 kilometers. Of slope. All in the same resort. They say it's the oldest mountain resort in the world, host of the second Winter Olympic Games edition in 1928.

DSC_2570.JPG

If it wouldnt have been for G.'s visit, I probably wouldnt have gone to St. Moritz too soon. I went there 3 summers ago, and it didnt knock me off my shoes. Nice and all, green, mountains, but I didnt see anything special.

Luckily G. had a "thing" for St.M., so we went on Sunday, and I had the revelation: winter is not like summer :).

Engadin, the area of Eastern Switzerland encompassing the Rhaeto-Roman language area, is one of my favorites, the "parallel Universe". And now I added the winter dimension to it.

Following the King Kong syndrome, we climbed the highest easily accessible point around, Piz Nair (="the black peak", in a delicious rhaeto-roman language), for a view on the St. Moritz valley and the Alps surrounding it.

DSC_2393.JPG

After a tomato soup and some älplermakkaroni, which tasted special at 3057m :), I headed down on skis (G. took the cabin back). I managed to NOT avoid the steep slope I had seen from the funicular

IMG00090.jpg

but I survived

IMG00091.jpg

with a little slip outside the slope in the big snow - an oddly familiar sensation from last winter.

The delight was finding the way down among numerous slope options, all with entertaining names - this language is so funny to me it drives me nuts. "Trais Fluors", for example, is clearly "Three flowers", it is pronounces almost identical to "trei flori" in romanian, it resembles all other "latin" languages, but it not like any one.

IMG00082.jpg

Speaking of the language, on the way back we listened to Radio Rumantsch, in this language (reminder: it is almost extinct, spoken by ~40,000 people, but it is still one of the 4 official languages of Switzerland). It is an odd combination of spanish, portuguese, italian, with some weird germanic sounds like "ü" sprinkled across. Very entertaining.

But before heading back, we checked out the "city center", where usually there is some "activity" - and indeed, there was a group of folk dancers,

DSC_2437.JPG

DSC_2454.JPG

DSC_2455.JPG

DSC_2456.JPG

who came on horse carriages now waiting for them on the side

DSC_2425.JPG

DSC_2426.JPG

DSC_2430.JPG

We went down to the lake level,

DSC_2476.JPG

to admire the resort upwards,

DSC_2532.JPG

the horse rider making rounds on the snow-covered hypodrome

DSC_2514.JPG

and the mysterious "snow dust" rising towards "downtown".

DSC_2520.JPG

Like G. put it, it is like a "winter Monaco".

DSC_2503.JPG

We left the mountains just before it got dark,

DSC_2594.JPG

And got home 3 hours later. Back to work.

Anyway, now it's clear - for some things, season matters.

DSC_2566.JPG
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    Just to let you know I still get 13 red X's in your first post in this thread. Others in it show up fine.

• Options
    edited January 24, 2008
    Jane B. wrote:
    Just to let you know I still get 13 red X's in your first post in this thread. Others in it show up fine.

Sorry about that! Fixed it again, hope it works...
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Some really great shots. Lovely.