Options

Multiple exposures - minimalism- Digital Faerie

digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
edited March 11, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok, here's my go at it. I felt like I had to after writing a short paper on it :rofl

Here's 2 from tonight (3/9/05) both done with multiple exposure setting.

Click pics for EXIF

17212854-L-1.jpg

17212853-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    Great shots, Tanna. I really like the composition on the first one. The simplicity is really enhanced by the lack of color. Minimalism at it's best. I particularly like the dark field at the bottom. May I respectfully suggest you tone down and decrease the size of your text font for this submission. A small, subtle font would really complement the image.

mitch
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    Great shots, Tanna. I really like the composition on the first one. The simplicity is really enhanced by the lack of color. Minimalism at it's best. I particularly like the dark field at the bottom. May I respectfully suggest you tone down and decrease the size of your text font for this submission. A small, subtle font would really complement the image.

mitch
    why thank you!

concerning the text size, it's a direct reflection of me being excited over having something for the challenge at all, but I replaced it with a fixed version. that better? mwink.gif
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    I like them both. The black and white seems right for the topic. I think the first one is the most simple and therefore most minimal.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    nice shots tanna, i love the first one. it reminds me of two things, an outdoor ampitheatre with its semi domed top/back. and of course looney toons.

charlie
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    I like the first one best, just like it.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    For Charlie Brown....
    okie dokie charlie brown.....just for callin' me a "showoff" and how I get lucky, I'm going to prove to you a little dilligence goes a long way! rolleyes1.gif

"showoff"....hmmph! umph.gif

17217000-M.jpg

plus, I wanted to take this opportunity to show off my fantastic skills at being a smartarse! rolleyes1.gif

oh cb 1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    thanks you guys! :D
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    okie dokie charlie brown.....just for callin' me a "showoff" and how I get lucky, I'm going to prove to you a little dilligence goes a long way! rolleyes1.gif

"showoff"....hmmph! umph.gif

17217000-M.jpg

plus, I wanted to take this opportunity to show off my fantastic skills at being a smartarse! rolleyes1.gif

oh cb 1drink.gif

only a real showoff would take the time to prove she isnt a showoff...ne_nau.gifwink. looks like a good set up, whats that big tripod lookin thing? yall actually use those? you dont hand hold yer stuff? hmmm.

charlie
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    only a real showoff would take the time to prove she isnt a showoff...ne_nau.gifwink. looks like a good set up, whats that big tripod lookin thing? yall actually use those? you dont hand hold yer stuff? hmmm.

charlie
    it's a good think I tend to like big goobers! :lol4 thanks sweetie, I know it's a compliment (hey, you think anyone here will think we're havin' some big affair?)
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    it's a good think I tend to like big goobers! :lol4 thanks sweetie, I know it's a compliment (hey, you think anyone here will think we're havin' some big affair?)
    probably, but i could do worse, and well you could do better. and dont tell anyone about my "goober" no matter what the size. iloveyou.gifmwink.gif:D1drink.gif :uhoh rolleyes1.gif

charlie
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    dont tell anyone about my "goober"
    eek7.gif
  • Options
    canonguycanonguy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    I like the concentric semi-circles. Great first go around. Very minimal. Don't take this the wrong way, but, it doesn't move me. if you applied the same concept to a wave shape or open curve, something a bit more organic, i think you will get a really moving shot with the same concept.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2005
    canonguy wrote:
    I like the concentric semi-circles. Great first go around. Very minimal. Don't take this the wrong way, but, it doesn't move me. if you applied the same concept to a wave shape or open curve, something a bit more organic, i think you will get a really moving shot with the same concept.
    nothing taken the wrong way at all!

although, after my mini dissertation in Mitchell's thread on minimalism....I got to thinking "I have to think like a minimalist" and I started to shudder, and came up with this idea.

I will look around for some other things to shoot.....this is what's bothering me about this challenge. Ginger's "pretty in pink" shot has this softer element because of the color. A b&w version wouldn't do it a well I don't think, but the color evokes a positive response while staying minimalist.

I have another shot from that set that I may work on....thank you for the feedback!
  • Options
    canonguycanonguy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    Open curves = sexy. that is one of the most powerful biological motivators. do something minimal that is "sexy", you got yourself a winner for sure.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2005
    canonguy wrote:
    Open curves = sexy. that is one of the most powerful biological motivators. do something minimal that is "sexy", you got yourself a winner for sure.
    funny you said that. I had planned on doing a silhouette this weekend of my best friend or boyfriend for this challenge. we'll see!
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    They both work for me. I look foward to seeing what else you come up with..
  • Options
    Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    Ha-ha-ha
    funny you said that. I had planned on doing a silhouette this weekend of my best friend or boyfriend for this challenge. we'll see!
    You've made me laugh this dull spring (much more looking like winter) evening, DF!
    Spasibo (Thank you in Russian)
    clap.gif
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    I personally like the second better. Maybe that's because it reminds me of some number theory about whole numbers that a good friend has often discussed with me ( and left me in the dark most of the time when he gets going on that stuff) but it seems to me he mentioned something about how the pattern of 3 x 3 is the smallest that can not be further reduced (mathematically) so that would fit nicely into the minimal theme.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    Both are overflowing in coolness.thumb.gif
    Tim
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited March 10, 2005
    Boone/Atlanta? It could happen :lol4
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    joechiujoechiu Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    How is it shot?
    I like both entries. The second one reminds me of phases-of-the-moon or something like that.

Thanks for the picture of your setup. How do you do multiple exposures on a digital camera?
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2005
    joechiu wrote:
    I like both entries. The second one reminds me of phases-of-the-moon or something like that.

Thanks for the picture of your setup. How do you do multiple exposures on a digital camera?
    it's a setting the camera has. I can take several shots over each other as long as I have the setting turned to on and keep hitting "next" after each frame. I can't find my manual right now so I'm not too sure just how many I can do in a frame but it's pretty cool!

thanks for the comments everyone!
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    Hey df.. I love 'em both.. I'm entirely jealous...clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Hey df.. I love 'em both.. I'm entirely jealous...clap.gif
    :lol4 we seem to have that effect on each other!
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 10, 2005
  • Options
    trippy64trippy64 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    Boone NC....Atlanta GA, yup, only a 5 hours drive or so I reckon, so sure, you two are getting it on. I see it in all your posts.
    trippy64.smugmug.com
    A man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills.

An opinion should be the result of thought,not the replacement of it.:scratch
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2005
    trippy64 wrote:
    Boone NC....Atlanta GA, yup, only a 5 hours drive or so I reckon, so sure, you two are getting it on. I see it in all your posts.
    5 hours ain't that bad....besides, it's gettin' serious.
  • Options
    DawnLandDawnLand Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    likewise
    I likewise agree that these are great! I am drawn to both of them in different ways. Are we allowed to enter more than one image per contest? Because I think it would be difficult to choose from these two. dawn
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2005
    5 hours ain't that bad....besides, it's gettin' serious.

serious id say so, im late this month...eek7.gif