Options

Metting the Sun and the Moon in Mexico

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited January 25, 2008 in Journeys
Hola! Its me again!

Well I have lots to write in my next post which is still going to take a bit to get together because it has taken me 2 days to upload the pictures! Its been quite the venture for sure. However I do have this one to post in the meantime!

I waited in Mexico City for Shasta to arrive and when she did we didnt waste any time getting out and enjoying Mexico. First we went to [SIZE=-1]Teotihuacan pyramids about an hour by bus from the City. The pyramid of the Sun is apparently the 3rd largest pyramid in the world and you can walk all the way to the top. In the picture is both the Pyramid of the Sun in the front and the Moon in the back.
244231550-L.jpg

It is a nice walk to the base of the Pyramid with lots of old ruins around. We really enjoyed walking around in them because they have seem to have a life to them when you enter. You can almost see the color of the city beaming thousands of years ago.
244235417-L.jpg

We walked up the stairs which ascended to the summit of the pyramid. Shasta wondered at what kind was allowed at our point when the city was alive with its ancient people. Surely this was a temple to the sun god, would the lonely peasent be allowed to stand amongst the gods?
244239261-XL.jpg

The summit of the Temple of the Moon loomed over a kilometer away. You could see the trace of people as they walked toward making their own blessings, aware of it or not.
244215366-XL.jpg

the Temple of the Moon had a large base with many large structures surrounding it. The area in front of the temple seemed more of a meeting place then did that of the Sun temple. We both preferred sitting and enjoying the sun atop the moon temple moreso then the others.
244218438-L.jpg

The temperature seemed perfect for a lay in the sunshine so we layed with the Moon and watched the sun settle itself over the temple which bore its name.

244220744-L.jpg

Another picture of the enormous temple that is the Temple of the Sun. Apparentlywhen the excavation of the temple was being done in the 1900´s someone messed up and they added five layers to the temple instead of 4.
244223304-L.jpg

Well we deemed ourselves unworthy to walk among the gods any longer and made our retreat back to the city. On the way back we decided to stop at the Lady of Guadalupe Church site. I am not a very religious person so Shasta tried her best to explain the signifance of the site to me. I enjoyed the flowers.
244224898-L.jpg

As did Shasta, I should have a lot more pictures of the site to post but I only ended up with these two that I really enjoyed. That mixed with the fact that each picture takes me around 10-20 minutes just to bring to everyone to see I am a bit more selective on those I choose!
244243708-L.jpg

We headed back to our hostel and then caught our night bus to Monterrey where we would be climbing in Potrero Chico, Hidalgo. Those pictures are next and I dare say I am excited to make that post!

[/SIZE]

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited January 23, 2008
    You certainly get around. Enough so that you could write a travel book of
    your own :D

I've enjoyed the past couple of installments. Thank you!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    HaryHary Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    nice :D I'm really happy that i found this thread as I'm getting prepared to visit Mexico again, this time with a good camera. It's really a magical place can't wait to go! Thanks!