October 2007 API Contest WINNERS!

onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
We're awfully sorry this took so long - I had a new baby, SmugMug birthed a few more, and it took longer to install/configure/review the submissions than I thought.

But we do have winners for the October 2007 API Contest! And since it took so long, and the submissions were soooo good, we have *4* of them!

First up are the API toolkits/wrappers/frameworks:

- phpSmug by lildude. Great PHP wrapper for our API, which got special bonus points for having good documentation.

- Kallasoft Java API by rkalla. Great Java API that's already spawned another API built on top of it, Anton Spaans' SmugFig.

Next, the apps:

- SmugLuv by jf26028. Great idea, lots of fun to use and play with. Wish it handled portrait-oriented photos better, but there's always the next contest...

- SmugSync by ifotopro. Awesome use of Adobe's AIR platform to view, upload & sync. Bonus points for spider navigation and a Cover Flow-like view.

I was totally blown away by both the # of entries, and how cool they all were. We're working on another contest (one that will run 3 months this time) and will post details soon. Can't wait to see what people do next!

Love some feedback as to what you guys would like for prizes, too. Camera gear? More iPhones? Amazon gift certs? Something else?

Thanks again, and sorry!

(Winners, please contact the SmugMug help desk so we can figure out how to get you your prizes!)

Comments

• flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Awesome! :D
    Congratulations everyone!thumb.gif

Currently i'm working on an actual application that uses my SmugFig API (the application will be called SmugFig (without the API)). It'll allow adding/changing/deleting/configuration of accounts/categories/subcategories/albums/images and later also pricing, orders, etc. The GUI is an explorer style gui (explorer tree, workspaces and property sheets). Maybe i can submit that app in 3 months :)
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • mjohnsonperlmjohnsonperl Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Prizes...
    I'm still in the market for an iPhone... and with the SDK coming up I really want one to be able to see what I can accomplish with the SDK.

Having lived in a Windows nightmare for many a years, I would like to get a Mac Mini to do some Mac development on, and be able to get more familiar with the Mac platform.

You could always try giving away the Apple TVs to developers and then those developers will start banging on Apple's door to find a way to get SmugMug on the Apple TVs like they are currently supporting Flickr... GRR...

I like the idea of several prizes, that way several people getting rewarded to varying degrees.

If there was a way to get a discount on my pro account beyond the grandfathered price I'm currently at... or discounts on purchasing a new account, that might be cool too.

Camera gear is always cool.

I think it would be cool if there was a networked LCD photo frame that you could use to display photos, and then make it link to SmugMug so that the frame updates photos and caches them right off the site from wherever it is, like how cool SmugSaver is as a screen saver. Then you could offer those as prizes, because who doesn't want to show off their photos.
    edited January 25, 2008
    Is there a list of all the entries anywhere?
    edited January 25, 2008
    3 Months sounds like a much less stressful time frame for the development contest to take place.thumb.gif
    edited January 25, 2008
    Prizes...
    If there was a way to get a discount on my pro account beyond the grandfathered price I'm currently at... or discounts on purchasing a new account, that might be cool too.

From the original post starting the contest:
    Finally, don't forget that API developers get lifetime free Pro accounts, so there's no cost to play. :)

I hope all us API developers can get one mwink.gif

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Finally, don't forget that API developers get lifetime free Pro accounts, so there's no cost to play. :)

thumb.gif I took care of it, Anton.
    edited January 25, 2008

Yeah, I have my account for development that's free which is cool because I can test anything and know I'm not going to blow up anything important, and I also have my personal account which I pay for... but I thought wow... if I had a third account I could keep my professional photography separate from my family albums... which might be nice.
    edited January 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    thumb.gif I took care of it, Anton.

Wow, that was fast! And thank you very much!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    I think it would be cool if there was a networked LCD photo frame that you could use to display photos, and then make it link to SmugMug so that the frame updates photos and caches them right off the site from wherever it is, like how cool SmugSaver is as a screen saver. Then you could offer those as prizes, because who doesn't want to show off their photos.

There already are networked LCD photo frames. Here's a good thread on the current options, and their possible compatibility with SmugMug:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=75393

Also, congrats to everyone, although SmugSync keeps crashing for me. :-{
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Yeah, I have my account for development that's free which is cool because I can test anything and know I'm not going to blow up anything important, and I also have my personal account which I pay for... but I thought wow... if I had a third account I could keep my professional photography separate from my family albums... which might be nice.

We'll be happy to move albums for you to the api account, or make your personal account your api comp'd account, either way, and close the other account if you wish. Just let us know at the help desk.
  • jgeeksjgeeks Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 8, 2008
    when will the 3 months contest begin? :D
  • iotashaniotashan Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Hopefully not until after the next 1.2.2 release, so I can launch my application :D
    jgeeks wrote:
    when will the 3 months contest begin? :D