How to Post a Pic on dgrin

123578

Comments

  • asdasd Call me Andrew Posts: 115Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    I've been troubleshooting a linking issue related to Internet Explorer and my vanity URL--if I link to an image within a gallery and leave off the "www", IE gets me to the gallery but not the right image. Firefox and Opera don't seem to be affected by lack of "www".

    Any clue why? The two links below theoretically both take you to (a larger) image of that plane, but in IE7 you'll end up on the gallery's first photo instead.

    179923003-Th.jpg

    #1: URL Link is to http://www.asdavidson.com...

    #2: URL Link is to http://asdavidson.com... and IE7 fails.
  • wxwaxwxwax Immoderator Posts: 15,471Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    asd wrote:
    I've been troubleshooting a linking issue related to Internet Explorer and my vanity URL--if I link to an image within a gallery and leave off the "www", IE gets me to the gallery but not the right image. Firefox and Opera don't seem to be affected by lack of "www".

    Any clue why? The two links below theoretically both take you to (a larger) image of that plane, but in IE7 you'll end up on the gallery's first photo instead.

    179923003-Th.jpg

    #1: URL Link is to http://www.asdavidson.com...

    #2: URL Link is to http://asdavidson.com... and IE7 fails.

    Both links are to the gallery. Neither is to an individual image.

    On most web pages, a link to an image will end in .jpeg, or .gif etc.

    The URL showing at the top of your galleries doesn't include a .jpeg. I'm not technical, so I don't know why that is. But if I go into Properties and copy the URL, I do get one that ends in .jpeg.

    179923003-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • asdasd Call me Andrew Posts: 115Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Both links are to the gallery. Neither is to an individual image.

    On most web pages, a link to an image will end in .jpeg, or .gif etc.

    The URL showing at the top of your galleries doesn't include a .jpeg. I'm not technical, so I don't know why that is. But if I go into Properties and copy the URL, I do get one that ends in .jpeg.

    179923003-L.jpg

    Oh, oops, I think I might have been unclear in explaining my question--I can embed an image in the forum just fine; I was just wondering why if I want to provide a link back to that page in my gallery, I need the "www" on the URL for IE to work (left out, IE takes me to the gallery but doesn't highlight the right image), but not Firefox or Opera. So the links #1 and #2 I provided were for clicking through in IE or Firefox to see the issue. The thumbnail was just to demonstrate what image those links *should* take you to.
  • IcebearIcebear Major grins Posts: 4,015Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    How to Get EXIF
    I often see reference to EXIF when people are commenting on posted photos. I don't need a tutorial on what EXIF is, but how does one get it off the DGrin posts? What am I missing?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • DavidTODavidTO Mod Emeritus Thousand Oaks, CAPosts: 19,160Registered Users, Retired Mod Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    I often see reference to EXIF when people are commenting on posted photos. I don't need a tutorial on what EXIF is, but how does one get it off the DGrin posts? What am I missing?


    Check out the tutorial linked in my signature.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • IcebearIcebear Major grins Posts: 4,015Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    Guess I'm dense
    I looked all over the many tutorials in your signature, and read thru several, and while there's good info to be found on how to post, I still am in the dark as to how to read EXIF data on photos posted by others. Clearly others aren't having this problem, because I see reference to it all the time. I also see posts where a responder actually modifies a posted photo. I know the answer is probably right there for me to see, but, hell, I'm 60 yrs old. My eyes ain't what they were.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • DavidTODavidTO Mod Emeritus Thousand Oaks, CAPosts: 19,160Registered Users, Retired Mod Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    I looked all over the many tutorials in your signature, and read thru several, and while there's good info to be found on how to post, I still am in the dark as to how to read EXIF data on photos posted by others. Clearly others aren't having this problem, because I see reference to it all the time. I also see posts where a responder actually modifies a posted photo. I know the answer is probably right there for me to see, but, hell, I'm 60 yrs old. My eyes ain't what they were.


    Ah. I get it now. Reading is hard. :D

    If they haven't embedded the EXIF into the post, then you need to find your way to the original gallery, which isn't easy unless they link you to it. But for an image that is simply embedded without the EXIF or gallery link, you're going to have to ask, AFAIK.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • shadeoflightshadeoflight Beginner grinner Posts: 9Registered Users Beginner grinner
    edited September 26, 2007
    My picture files are too big, how do I change that? Sorry just am not savy on any of this, but will catch on rolleyes1.gif
  • photojen1photojen1 Fiat lux Posts: 16Registered Users Big grins
    edited September 26, 2007
    Exif info on attached image file
    I think I understand how to attach the exif if I'm using an uploaded file however my file is attached. Think I will get a Smugmug account but in the meantime, I have a posted image without an exif. I moved the image from Nikon's Picture Perfect to a file in my backup hard drive. When I open it with Photoshop I can find the File Info but haven't been able to embed(?) the information with the image. Any suggestions? I've searched but perhaps it's in one of these forums so any directions would be appreciated. Thanks! Jen
    Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts.
    --Rachel Carson
  • AllenAllen "tweak 'til it squeaks" St. Louis, MoPosts: 9,720Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 26, 2007
    My picture files are too big, how do I change that? Sorry just am not savy on any of this, but will catch on rolleyes1.gif
    When you pasted this photo link in you could of changed the size like below.

    http://www.asdavidson.com/photos/179923003-L.jpg


    http://www.asdavidson.com/photos/179923003-M.jpg
    http://www.asdavidson.com/photos/179923003-S.jpg
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website | My Blog
  • DavidSDavidS Major grins Posts: 1,279Registered Users Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Picture won't post
    I am trying to post a picture and it won't work. I have don't it hundreds of times before, but not with a Pro Account. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Please help.

    http://DavidS.smugmug.com/photos/217799159-L.jpg
  • DavidTODavidTO Mod Emeritus Thousand Oaks, CAPosts: 19,160Registered Users, Retired Mod Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    DavidS wrote:
    I am trying to post a picture and it won't work. I have don't it hundreds of times before, but not with a Pro Account. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Please help.

    http://DavidS.smugmug.com/photos/217799159-L.jpg


    It's got nothing to do with Pro account, you're using URL tags instead of IMG tags. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • DavidSDavidS Major grins Posts: 1,279Registered Users Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    It's got nothing to do with Pro account, you're using URL tags instead of IMG tags. thumb.gif

    Thanks. How do I get an IMG tag instead of a URL tag? I am clicking on copy link in Smugmug and pasting it into insert image on DGrin. I must be losing my mind. I could swear that is how I have always done it.

    Here is the link to my post. It looks like it has an IMG tag. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=75901
    Doesn't the image tag get added when you use insert image on DGrin?
  • DavidTODavidTO Mod Emeritus Thousand Oaks, CAPosts: 19,160Registered Users, Retired Mod Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    DavidS wrote:
    Thanks. How do I get an IMG tag instead of a URL tag? I am clicking on copy link in Smugmug and pasting it into insert image on DGrin. I must be losing my mind. I could swear that is how I have always done it.

    Here is the link to my post. It looks like it has an IMG tag. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=75901
    Doesn't the image tag get added when you use insert image on DGrin?


    The easiest way is to just type it, IMO.

    Remove the *'s:

    [*img]http://DavidS.smugmug.com/photos/217799159-L.jpg[*/img], and you get this:

    217799159-L.jpg

    For more information on how to post a pic on dgrin, see the link in my signature. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • wxwaxwxwax Immoderator Posts: 15,471Registered Users Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    DavidS wrote:
    Thanks. How do I get an IMG tag instead of a URL tag?


    Click on the yellow icon. It's in a slightly different place since I took this screen shot, but it looks the same.

    1993513-O.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ColzColz Beginner grinner Posts: 4Registered Users Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2007
    199869341-S.jpg
  • Marisa HeymachMarisa Heymach Big grins Posts: 39Registered Users Big grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    http://bindingimage.smugmug.com/gallery/3909880/1/226876138
    I am a new member looking to get feedback on my photographs but I haven't quite figured out how to post my galleries on Dgrin. Here's an attempt.ne_nau.gifbowdown.gif Can I send them to particular Dgrin galleries?
  • DavidTODavidTO Mod Emeritus Thousand Oaks, CAPosts: 19,160Registered Users, Retired Mod Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    I am a new member looking to get feedback on my photographs but I haven't quite figured out how to post my galleries on Dgrin. Here's an attempt.ne_nau.gifbowdown.gif Can I send them to particular Dgrin galleries?


    Well, a couple of things.

    1) You can't put an image in the title of a post, it has to go in the message

    2) You need to use the correct URL for the image and enclose it in the proper tags. Read the tutorial at the beginning of this thread, or the one linked in my signature, and then ask any questions you may have.

    3) Which galleries are you talking about? ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • jkcashinjkcashin Big grins Posts: 68Registered Users Big grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Test post
    A friend of mine who I have been nagging to get on dgrin says he can't post pics and was wondering if the pic had to be hosted at SmugMug to be postable. I said no, but decided to try a test anyway:

    IMG_2408.jpg

    Exif: Dunno how to link to that, so here's a link to original: http://jamiecashin.com/gallery/main.php/v/OurCarHabit/PlaceDOrleans20060830/IMG_2408.jpg

    I can see it on my browser, just wondering if anyone else can.

    Jamie

    PS: I was surprised to see Dgrin doesn't have a "Testing" forum for this.
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkPosts: 50,153Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    jkcashin wrote:
    Exif: Dunno how to link to that, so here's a link to original:
    Jamie

    PS: I was surprised to see Dgrin doesn't have a "Testing" forum for this.
    We see it :)

    And here you are in the testing forum thumb.gif
  • jrockjrock Beginner grinner Posts: 6Registered Users Beginner grinner
    edited January 26, 2008
    I see it too
    jkcashin wrote:
    A friend of mine who I have been nagging to get on dgrin says he can't post pics and was wondering if the pic had to be hosted at SmugMug to be postable. I said no, but decided to try a test anyway:



    Exif: Dunno how to link to that, so here's a link to original: http://jamiecashin.com/gallery/main.php/v/OurCarHabit/PlaceDOrleans20060830/IMG_2408.jpg

    I can see it on my browser, just wondering if anyone else can.

    Jamie

    PS: I was surprised to see Dgrin doesn't have a "Testing" forum for this.

    "I see photographs, I see them everywhere, only they don't know they're photographs!" - a line from the the epic blockbuster, "The Sixth Lens"
  • jkcashinjkcashin Big grins Posts: 68Registered Users Big grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    We see it :)

    And here you are in the testing forum thumb.gif
    Hey, thanks Andy.

    Jamie
  • changkho3010changkho3010 Beginner grinner Posts: 5Registered Users Beginner grinner
    edited February 13, 2008
    demo , i m newbie
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Ignorance is truly bliss. Posts: 1,347Registered Users Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Just an FYI, I just started using pBase and my first link to a gallery there was in a forum here on dgrin. The instructions at the start of this thread work for every other site I've used but not for pBase. If you copy the URL from right clicking on the image in a gallery, it doesn't work. You take the address right out of the browser address bar (or whatever you call it) or you can go into their Image Edit window to pick up the URL. They've got instructions on the Help pages as follow.
    To get the direct linking URL for an image, view the image and add .jpg or size.jpg to the end of the URL.

    This works just like linking to an image page but append .jpg to the end of the URL.
    example: www.pbase.com/image/image number.jpg
    example: www.pbase.com/image/image number/size.jpg

    Note: to direct link to a .gif, use the .jpg extension also. It will still send the gif file.

    You can also easily get the direct linking URL by viewing the edit image page and looking in the top right corner of the page, where the URL for linking to the medium size of the image is given.
    Dan

    My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • I SimoniusI Simonius WeatherSealedPhotographer Posts: 1,034Registered Users Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    here we go again
    OK sorry about this but I haven't got time ( today ) to read the whole thread: I have never been able to get the 'insert image ' thingy to work but Im a gonna have a go here and see if I can';t finally grok it
    here we go...

    copying the URLs directly from what shows in the browser window

    here is a pic i the gallery:4384146_fvmDQ#257441963
    - here's the link itself: http://Digital-Finger.smugmug.com/gallery/4384146_fvmDQ#257441963

    here is a pic in lightbox:4384146_fvmDQ#257441963_a7NpX-A-LB
    -here's the link itself : http://Digital-Finger.smugmug.com/gallery/4384146_fvmDQ#257441963_a7NpX-A-LB

    well there's a surprise - it didnt work

    So quite clearly what I always try to do just doesn't work. (why can't life be simple like me?)

    SO any instructions apart from "read the thread"? (ok ok just say 'read the thread' then - whatever:rutt)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • I SimoniusI Simonius WeatherSealedPhotographer Posts: 1,034Registered Users Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    I just posted about my ineptitude here, should it have been here instead?
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • DavidTODavidTO Mod Emeritus Thousand Oaks, CAPosts: 19,160Registered Users, Retired Mod Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    I just posted about my ineptitude here, should it have been here instead?


    I've merged the two threads, so now they're the same place! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • I SimoniusI Simonius WeatherSealedPhotographer Posts: 1,034Registered Users Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I've merged the two threads, so now they're the same place! thumb.gif

    Hurrah - So.. OK why don't my pics show up?
    (anyone?)

    same thing here when I tried to link a piccieheadscratch.gif

    Tis has been baffling me for a long time - I gave up before but gotta get this sussed now!
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • DavidTODavidTO Mod Emeritus Thousand Oaks, CAPosts: 19,160Registered Users, Retired Mod Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    Hurrah - So.. OK why don't my pics show up?
    (anyone?)

    same thing here when I tried to link a piccieheadscratch.gif

    Tis has been baffling me for a long time - I gave up before but gotta get this sussed now!


    You're not using the correct links. Re-read the top of this thread, or you can check out the tute linked in my signature.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • I SimoniusI Simonius WeatherSealedPhotographer Posts: 1,034Registered Users Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    You're not using the correct links. Re-read the top of this thread, or you can check out the tute linked in my signature.

    aaahhm goonna go for the tutethumb.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
Sign In or Register to comment.