Options

Newborn Sitting

ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited February 3, 2008 in People
I had the privilege of shooting this adorable 1 month old and his twin two year old brothers. (Boy were they a handful!...Adorable, but a handful)

I had to share some of the shots with you. I loved the BW conversions of most the shots.

Thanks for looking. Would love to hear C&C...I'm always looking to learn and improve.

1. Used a soft PS filter...liked the effect
247711070-L.jpg
2. Shot may be used for birth announcements..."our family has grown by two feet"
247711806-L.jpg
3. Of course, getting them all to cooperate at the same time was a challenge...
247714672-L-1.jpg
4. When the twins would cooperate...then baby decided to squirm...
247714993-L-1.jpg
5. I did get a couple when it all came together
247715609-L-1.jpg
247713822-L.jpg
7. This is why I love my job! (sorry for the watermark..took the link directly out of the client's gallery)
246978176-L-4.jpg
Heather
www.heatherdunnphotography.com
My Blog My Facebook Page
GIVING BACK - How will you give?
"I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson

Comments

• Options
    edited January 28, 2008
    94 views and no comments...? Hoping it's not that they're that bad?
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Quite the contrary, they're lovely. The first one is my favorite, and the feet are pretty irresistible, too.

The shots with the boys (twins?) don't work solely because it appears they are manhandling the infant. I know they aren't, but the images contain an element of shock value that doesn't fit well with the subject.

Lighting and processing look good. Nice job.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Hi Heather,

I think the last one is great (glad you mentioned the watermark - it is very big a distracting from a lovely shot)

The others seem a bit over expossed on my monitor, I would like to see a little more detail. The feet shot is cute, but the black matting is dirty (fluff/lint) which keps drawing my eyes to it.

I like the shot of the baby on being held by the mothers arm.

Hope you don't mind my comments.
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2008
    Tommyboy wrote:
    Quite the contrary, they're lovely. The first one is my favorite, and the feet are pretty irresistible, too.

Thank You. I was getting a bit worried when everyone would look and no one wanted to say anything.
    Tommyboy wrote:
    The shots with the boys (twins?) don't work solely because it appears they are manhandling the infant. I know they aren't, but the images contain an element of shock value that doesn't fit well with the subject.

Lighting and processing look good. Nice job.

The boys were a handful. Shot 3 was included in this set to give people an idea of just how much of a handful they were to work with. One of the twins didn't seem to be feeling well during the shoot, even mom and grandma thought so. I would love to see what I could get on a day where they're all feeling well.

Shot 4 would have been cute with them kissing baby if baby hadn't started to roll over.

I think shot 5 is one of the only ones I got with all 3 participants at least trying to cooperate. The boys were rubbing his back, notice the one on the left with the "shhh" shape to his lips.
    christulk wrote:
    Hi Heather,

I think the last one is great (glad you mentioned the watermark - it is very big a distracting from a lovely shot)

The others seem a bit over expossed on my monitor, I would like to see a little more detail. The feet shot is cute, but the black matting is dirty (fluff/lint) which keps drawing my eyes to it.

I like the shot of the baby on being held by the mothers arm.

Hope you don't mind my comments.

The color versions of these are not at all overexposed. Maybe it's in the BW conversion....but on my monitors they seem ok. I just calibrated them a few days ago....

How do they look on other's monitors?

The few specks near the foot on the left I can clone out easily. The black fleece was brand new, until we did the naked shots of baby and the powder from in his diaper got on it.

I don't mind your comments at all....I asked for C&C. I always want to keep learning, and want to give my clients the best possible results.

Here's another one...I thought this was too cute. I know mom wanted everyone happy, but sometimes these are irresistible.
    246986466-L-3.jpg
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
  • Options
    Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    beautiful
    These are amazing! Thank you for sharing. I only have one comment. On #6, I find the diagonal cut of mommy's arm to be very distracting. It is a great photo except the diagonal cut of her arm over powers and makes me not like the picture.
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    That first shot is spectacular. I also like the last one in the first set except on my current monitor, the highlights look a bit blown but there is a good chance that it is just my monitor. :D It looks like you had a good time.
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    The Feet!! Love it, and first one is fantastic shot. Nice work thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    Thank You
    Thank you all for the feedback. I'm hoping mom comes into the studio today to view these. I'll let you know how it goes.

I soooo wish she had come in for maternity shots. I'm now on a mission to find someone that will allow me to do maternity shots, and call me when they are going to the hospital, and then come in for studio newborn shots......I would love to put together an album telling the whole story. There's an example from a WPPI album competition HERE The photographer was Theresa Sacks. She was awarded first place for an event album. I absolutely adore this album and would love to expand my business into this type of series. (mom's sister-in-law is expecting......now if I could just convince her.....)

I truly love what I do. I love working with children, and infants are just precious. It's wonderful to have a family into my studio and not have to rush through a sitting. My little town hasn't had a photography studio before. Sure, lots of people working out of their home doing on location shots only, but no studio. I've found people have become used to (doesn't mean they like it, just have settled for it) the shopping mall type studio where they get rushed in and out. I'm getting such great feedback from parents for taking the time to help their child feel comfortable and get the right shots. I love my job!!
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
  • Options
    magicpicmagicpic Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    Shudderz wrote:
    Thank you all for the feedback. I'm hoping mom comes into the studio today to view these. I'll let you know how it goes.

I soooo wish she had come in for maternity shots. I'm now on a mission to find someone that will allow me to do maternity shots, and call me when they are going to the hospital, and then come in for studio newborn shots......I would love to put together an album telling the whole story. There's an example from a WPPI album competition HERE The photographer was Theresa Sacks. She was awarded first place for an event album. I absolutely adore this album and would love to expand my business into this type of series. (mom's sister-in-law is expecting......now if I could just convince her.....)

I truly love what I do. I love working with children, and infants are just precious. It's wonderful to have a family into my studio and not have to rush through a sitting. My little town hasn't had a photography studio before. Sure, lots of people working out of their home doing on location shots only, but no studio. I've found people have become used to (doesn't mean they like it, just have settled for it) the shopping mall type studio where they get rushed in and out. I'm getting such great feedback from parents for taking the time to help their child feel comfortable and get the right shots. I love my job!!

what lighting di you use? thanks janis
    (2) Canon 20d, (1) canon 30d, 70-200is 2.8, tamron 17-50,canon 50mm 1.4
    http://www.photographybywidget.com
  • Options
    LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    Shot 5 is great! If they were mine, that's the shot I'd want on my wall. The loving response of the older boys is charming.
  • Options
    ob_3ob_3 Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    My wife and I are expecting 'an addition of two feet' in mid march... I can not wait to take pics such as these, you have given me a lot of ideas... thanks for sharing.

i love the one that they are thinking about using for the announcement

:)

regards

tom
    -say cheese !

Nikon d200w/ grip, 18-70 Nikkor , 85mm 1.8 , 50mm 1.8, tokina 12-24
    Nikon n80 w/grip, 28-200 Tamron
    Fuji z6900
    old school Olympus OMG-1
    Sony DSC-H3 point and shoot
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2008
    magicpic wrote:
    what lighting di you use? thanks janis

I used a softbox slightly camera left, and a white reflector to camera right.
    LilleG wrote:
    Shot 5 is great! If they were mine, that's the shot I'd want on my wall. The loving response of the older boys is charming.

And it's one of only a couple shots out of 75 or so taken of all three of them where all three were cooperating!
    ob_3 wrote:
    My wife and I are expecting 'an addition of two feet' in mid march... I can not wait to take pics such as these, you have given me a lot of ideas... thanks for sharing.

i love the one that they are thinking about using for the announcement

Congratulations on your upcoming addition! Did you take a look at the link to the album in one of my previous responses in this thread? It's an award winning album at the WPPI conference in 2005. It tells the whole story of the family addition...from maternity shots, to the photog in the hospital with them, going home, and then studio shots of the new addition. I wish I'd done something like it when my two were born.

I have a couple friends that are expecting. I'm trying to convince them to let me do this for them. Then once I have a sample I will see about marketing to the local OB-GYNs to see if I can leave info in their offices.

Thank you all for the kind feedback. I'm still waiting for the boys' mom to see these. I can't wait to see them in print!!
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    I love them... I wonder if it would be easier for you to work without the parents and/or grandma there. I find that I usually have more control over the kids without the parents.
    The feet are wonderful, very nice angle, and perfect depth of field...
    The one where the boys are kissing its back is intriguing too.
    I don't like the arm at all as it seems as if the baby could fall off any moment, it does not look comfortable, not for the person holding it, nor for the baby.
    Great series... Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    Great shots. I love the black background. Nice contrast with the babies skin.