Options

Concert Photos - Thank you Art Scott

Jonathan R. WalcherJonathan R. Walcher Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited January 28, 2008 in People
Well folks at the encouragement of this thread reply I've slowly been building my concert photography portfolio. I recently got my first big break and was allowed to shoot stage side for a number of touring acts. Here are some of the shots that I got.

I will say that as Art mentioned in his post, the bands and their crews have been amazingly cordial. Honestly, it's kinda baffling...from the venue management to the security guards...everyone is polite and nice. The shows I've been covering have been mostly hardcore thrash metal and the security guards are even nice enough to tap me on the shoulder as crowd surfers come crashing over the gates.

A special thanks to Art for his post...it was his post that pushed me over the edge and made me realize that I could do this. I figured I would share the fruit of his encouragement with you guys.

These are just a few of my favorites...let me know what you think.

247033399-L.jpg

244851180-M.jpg

244854871-M.jpg
Focusing on Event, Portrait, and Humanitarian Work....
www.jonathanwphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    92 view and no comment?!

I'll say.. I love the 1st, really nice.

#2... Although the mic stand is part of the stage, without it in this pic would be better. Too contrasty for my taste also.

3.. ahh.. nice photo, just doesn't do anything for me either way.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    I really like the 1st and 2nd one. The 3rd one is okay as said above.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    #1 and #2 just, uhm, ROCK!!

Can you sum up the quick technical tips that made these shots successful?

(one minor thing just to double check: if #2 actually has the highlights that appear on my monitor it might not print on paper properly. Just check that if you're going to do a CD cover or what have you)

Great work! clap.gif

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    These are fantastic photos that show an incredible amount of energy. The lights, the movement, everything. WTG!
    clap.gif
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    I agree with Schmoo. All it takes is that one person to light a fire under you sometimes to help you believe in yourself and go for it. Thanks for sharing.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    Jonathan R. WalcherJonathan R. Walcher Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Appreciate the Feedback...
    I really appreciate the comments...it's always a joy to get other peoples input.

I agree on the mic in the second shot...the lighting though was just too nice to trash it.

For those of you that commented, if you get a chance you might take a look at the galleries that those photos came out of...shot 1 is from this gallery shots 2 and 3 are from this gallery. I picked what I thought were some of the best shots but I'd be interested to see if you thought there were better ones.

Regarding the technical aspects...both shows were shot with a 20d and 17-55 2.8 IS lens. Everything moves ridiculously fast and the lighting changes every second...so usually I shoot in full manual mode, 1600 ISO, aperture wide open (2.8) and adjust the shutter speed on the run/constantly. I will say the the Image Stabilization of the lens is what makes the shots possible because I don't (and usually am not allowed) shoot with a flash. That being said, my shutter usually ranges from 30 to 120. Given that setup and shooting in RAW...I average about a 30% keep rate. I usually shoot 250 images per band...at a 3 song, stage side limit.

Thanks again for the input....
    Focusing on Event, Portrait, and Humanitarian Work....
    www.jonathanwphotography.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    THESE ARE REALLY GOOD!!!!bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifclapclap.gifclap glad my little post was a help to get you going....................Now where's my da** check....:D:Drolleyes1.gifrofl

Keep shooting it will only get better and if there are any celeb golf tourneys in your area....well that is a great place to get some recognition also......
    Key board Player for the Original line up of Uriah Heep was here at a golf tourney and his aging Dad was his coach.....I poped a couple of shots of them on the putting green......I mailed them to him as he was then living in St.Louis and I found out those were the last pics taken of them together......Sometimes things like that greatly out weigh any monetary value.

Expecting to see morte great stuff from you and this gives me something to reach for with my own concert photos as soon as I get where I can attend again (need less hours on the "real" job....:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website