Options

so here is my day at work (WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES)

Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
edited March 10, 2005 in The Big Picture
first of all...

WARNING!!! GRAPHIC SURGICAL PICTURES ENCLOSED.

I am hoping that that will serve as fair warning to anyone with a sensitive stomach with regards to blood. So today at work, someone brings in a dog that has been in a fight. This dog, who actually belongs to someone i know and not as we say just another client, was bitten by a breed called the Presa Canario. These Presas are beautiful and powerful animals, think of a large very athletic pit bull and you have the general idea of the Presa. Anyway, this dog that was brought it was piced up by its neck and shaken arround for a minute or two, and remarkable only had one puncture wound on the top of its neck. There was bruising like you wouldnt believe, really, it was bad. More so than that was the (and forgive me for the jargon) subcutaneous emphasema, pneumo-thorax, hemo-thorax, and massive tissue trauma. I can go into detail about what was wrong with this dog, but for now ill skip to the massive tissue trauma. What do I mean when i say this, well i want you to think of a dog in its parts, we have skin, muscle and connective tissue, organs, nerves, and skeletal tissue. Since this dog was bitten in the neck, we can limit this to muscle/connective, skeletal and skin tissues. Now as i said before, there was only one puncture wound on the head, making one think that the bite wasnt that bad, well my friend it was. The problem was internally, not externally, which is bad. Now i want you to think of a corn dog, yup a corn dog. You have the corn bread part, which will be the skin for us, the hot dog or the muscle and connective tissue, and you have the stick, or the skeletal tissue. now i want you to immagine that corn dog as this dogs neck. You with me? OK. The skin is intact, other than bruising, and is generally ok despite the emphasema. The cervical spin was, thankfully, intact and as i like to say, "as cool as a cucumber." Now we come to the massive tissue trauma. You still thinking of the corn dog? Good. I want you to pretend that the entire left side of the corndog is mangled, destroyed and generally unrecognizable as normal. This is what we found when we cut the dog, it was, well, it was bad. Just about the worst wound ive ever seen, the only thing keeping this dogs head on was its spine, and what little tissue there was that was unharmed on the right side. This was not a small god that was attacked either, oh no, it was a 45# springer spaniel. The trauma was so bad, that i would have easily put a soft ball in the cavity left by the mangled flesh. We did fix it though, and the last time i talked with another tech at the hospital, she was doing well. now onto the pictures...yes i took pictures. I like to take pics of this stuff, its how i teach people at work and how i tech the clients about their animals injuries. Harsh? Maybe, but it works and it gives a real sense and scope to what we are telling people. these really arent that bad, as far as blood and guts go, but still i thought id warn yall.

without further ado...surgery shots.

this first shot shows the initial incision and what we found, i cant repeat what we said as this is a family friendly site.

This second shot shows the severity of the wound, it is, very very deep, and very very bad. If you are good at anatomy you will be able to recognize muscle, ligaments, nerver bundles, areties, veins, and toehr various bits and pieces. OUCH!

now these last two shots are of us attatching what we can as best we can.

I hope you enjoyed coming to work with me today, if you want im working 14 hours tomorrow, so you can go to work for me-I wont mind.

Charlie

images were removed per andy's request.

I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.

Comments

• Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    first of all, now that you've horrified me with the plight of this little doggie, you now have to keep all of us posted on how this dog is doing and I hope it survives all of this ok. :cry

as much as I love animals, I would make the worst vet in the world, all I would be able to do is cry all the time.

on a lighter note, I enjoyed that as a medical transcriptionist in training rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    first of all, now that you've horrified me with the plight of this little doggie, you now have to keep all of us posted on how this dog is doing and I hope it survives all of this ok. :cry

as much as I love animals, I would make the worst vet in the world, all I would be able to do is cry all the time.

on a lighter note, I enjoyed that as a medical transcriptionist in training rolleyes1.gif

the dog will be incredibly luck to live through this. generally, im game for anything but it was very difficult for me to tell a friend that she will be lucky to see her dog alive. its not a good feeling to have someone well an entire family in hysterics knowing there is only so much that we can do, and the rest is up to the dog. not a good day at work to say the least.

im glad you enjoyed you transcriptionist training. that will be $799.98

charlie
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2005
    update for those that care.
    she is doing very very well.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    she is doing very very well.

that's great, i hope she progresses well. wow. i'm fascinated by anyone who can do this type of work, my hat is off to you cb. thanks for the story.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    good news, chuck. keep us posted. that's some amazing heroics.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson