Options

Nikon D60 announced + new lenses

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited January 29, 2008 in Cameras
Nikon has released the D60 and five (three of them tilt-shift) new lenses.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    I was hoping the D60 would take the place of the D80 and be crippled version of the D300. I didn't read anything about it having AF in the camera body. I have some good AF glass that I have grown fond of.

My D50 is breaking down on me so I need a replacement. This was going to be a candidate but I am not so sure now. My contenders now are the D80, used D200 or used D2h. I would love a D200, but I am used to the battery life of the D50. I am using an old D1h and love the quickness, but not the batter life. D2h is a contender because I don't need large megapixels for the newspaper which I make my money. D300 is what I want but can't afford now and thats why I wanted this to be a toned down version. Ughhh! Maybe I could use the tax rebate to make up the difference for a D300.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    I was hoping the D60 would take the place of the D80 and be crippled version of the D300. I didn't read anything about it having AF in the camera body.

My D50 is breaking down on me so I need a replacement. This was going to be a candidate but I am not so sure now. My contenders now are the D80, used D200 or used D2h. I would love a D200, but I am used to the battery life of the D50. I am using an old D1h and love the quickness, but not the batter life. D2h is a contender because I don't need large megapixels for the newspaper which I make my money. D300 is what I want but can't afford now and thats why I wanted this to be a toned down version. Ughhh! Maybe I could use the tax rebate to make up the difference for a D300.

The D60 is :snore. The battery life on the D200 isn't that bad. I have never run out of juice in a day with it (of course it usually was my second body). The D80 has the best high ISO perforance of your 3 contenders, the D2H has the best AF and you can shoot for two days on its battery.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    D60 schmixty.

Check out those T&S..
    Drool...
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited January 28, 2008
    Here is the Nikon site information about the D60:

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25438

It does not appear to have an on-board AF drive mechanism. Otherwise, It compares nicely to other entry level cameras.

Nice metering system specs.
    ISO 100-3200
    Active D-Lighting
    3 point AF?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    kodacrome25kodacrome25 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Looks to be an upgraded version of the d40x
    headscratch.gifFrom what I can see on the specs, the only major change between the d60 and d40x is the dust cleaning system. Now if Nikon could put AF motor in the body, and still maintain the physical size, I believe that would be a winner.
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    I think this camera is a good example of the possible future of upgrades - they may not be monumental anymore. But, looks like a nice little cam.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    The battery life on the D200 isn't that bad. I have never run out of juice in a day with it (of course it usually was my second body).

I have read it can get around 400 shots if you don't use the LCD much. The reason battery life is important to me is carrying a spare battery is one less thing to carry. I get so focused on taking pictures I sometimes put things down and forget about them. I have a Canon EOS Mark II d available for my full time work. I have left my camera bag on an assignment TWICE with the 70-200 2.8 lens in the bag because I put the bag down. I know I should keep up better, but a lifetime experience with myself tells me it's going to happen again.

That's why I like the Nikon and 18-200 VR combo so much because it can handle 90% of most situations and I don't have to carry gear. The other 10% I know in advance what I need. That's why the D80 is the lead candidate. If I need a pro camera, I can use the canon, although I would like to own a Nikon pro for myself.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    I have read it can get around 400 shots if you don't use the LCD much.
    I've read allot of different sources and none of them were that low. Can I ask where you read that? ear.gif
  • Options
    JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    I figured they would add a screw drive for the upgrade but, it is a D40X with Dlighting the antidust BS. I already fired off a are you nuts email to them. I understand it is only entry level but, still it should be able to use all the lenses in AF. rolleyes1.gif
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    BrascoleBrascole Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    headscratch.gifFrom what I can see on the specs, the only major change between the d60 and d40x is the dust cleaning system. Now if Nikon could put AF motor in the body, and still maintain the physical size, I believe that would be a winner.

Which is a good thing. Unlike Canon and the xts. As a Canon owner (20D) if I had purchased the 40D I would be a little ticked off. As someone stated the trickle down of the major improvements to the consumer dslr. Is the 40D worth $500 more than the xts imo no. I still have and use my Canon gear and use it for different purposes for the lenses I have. This time around I went with the D300 and I did it for the technology. If the D60 was put out with some of the bells and whistles and major improvements as the D300 for $1000 less than the D300 I'd be pissed. I was hoping for upgraded versions of the 80-400, 300 f4 and 85.

I posted a reply in your post because I notice your a VNV. Today is the 40th anniversary of the 1968 Tet offensive. Was at TSN AFB 68-69 III corps.