Options

Sibiu - European Cultural Capital, 2007 (memories)

explorishexplorish Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
edited January 30, 2008 in Journeys
Sibiu is one of the most important 7 cities founded by German settlers at the beginning of the 2nd Milennium, around 1100. (here is a more detailed story of the German settlers in Transylvania).

Its "old town" is one of the largest and best preserved medieval city centers in Romania, and was recently restored and fancied up for the big year 2007.

The entrance to the old town is dominated by the high Protestant church tower.

DSC_3563.JPG

Defense walls surrounding the city have been integrated, at least on this part, into the urban landscape, once the city expanded beyond its initial walled-in limits

DSC_3565.JPG

Once up at the gate, a look back down is worthwile

DSC_3566.JPG

Once inside the old walls, we bump into a group of artists preparing a medieval theatre performance

DSC_3573.JPG

We leave them to their business and move along, below arcades

DSC_3579.JPG

into a small square

DSC_3581.JPG

where we find another group of... ahm.. long-legged ladies awaiting their colleagues, while being amusedly checked out by passers-by

DSC_3582.JPG

Giving in to the King Kong syndrome, I climb the tallest accessible point, in this case the white tower two pictures ago, for a view of the city roofs

DSC_3588.JPG

the main square

DSC_3594.JPG

and the church district

DSC_3597.JPG

Back down, entering the "Grand Square" ("Piata Mare")

DSC_3606.JPG

It has a legend behind it - it is said that a peasant claimed a piece of land, and the local landlord, wanting to make fun of him, told him "i will give you as much land as you can cover with the skin of your two oxen. (cattle were crucial to a peasant's life - no cattle, no work, no food). So the peasant agreed, then killed the oxen, cut their skin in thin stripes and made a big circle around what today is the Grand Square. The nobleman apparently held his word and gave the peasant the land.

Anyway, today it is the core

DSC_3609.JPG

of the city life

DSC_3621.JPG

I have no idea what those red blocks were about, but they sure look cool. I think they were supposed to be part of an outdoor art/design exhibition.

DSC_3622.JPG

Going through the main square, you quickly reach the old town limits

DSC_3635.JPG

and a more independently and impressively preserved part of the former defense system, with tower,

DSC_3640.JPG

wall, and all.

DSC_3644.JPG

Given the fact that a storm was gathering momentum above the city roofs,

DSC_3669.JPG

time to make our way back towards along the walls, towards and then beneath the Bridge of Lies, visible in the back

DSC_3695.JPG

Legend says that if you tell a lie while on the bridge, it might collapse. A follow-up on that tells that in the middle ages, if traders in the Small Square were cheating on the locals, and they found out, they used to come back, catch the cheaters and throw them off the bridge.

Avoiding even to think of a lie, this is where we leave Sibiu.
The best thing about a photo is the journey that brought you to it.

Comments

• Options
    brianhanleybrianhanley Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    i wish your pictures were bigger!
    Nikon D50 brianhanley.com
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    bigger
    hi,
    thanks for the visit and question :). in the meantime, i re-uploaded the higher res version here, but didnt change the links in the message any more. hope it helps, if not, let me know :).
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Fantastic series
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2008
    thank you!
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    Thanks for those, felt like I was there.thumb.gif