Options

New Application for Photoshop Elements Users

pe2smugmugpe2smugmug Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
This is a new program to allow uploading photos from a Photoshop Elements 4.0 database to SmugMug. While PSE 5 can directly upload to SmugMug, older versions lack such functionality. So the goal was to provide some of this functionality to those of us with older versions. One of the important goals of mine was to allow Tags from PSE to be inserted into SmugMug as keywords along with other metadata.

This is a .NET application and reuses a significant portion of the code from Send To SmugMug (so special thanks to Omar Shahine).

This is an “alpha” release, so I’m looking for feedback on what features people like and what can be improved (and of course what bugs people find :(:)

Use should be pretty straight forward, after launching, connect to smugmug using the File->Connect dialog. At the bottom left, you should see a directory tree of items in your PSE database. After you select a directory, the files in that folder should appear in the next dialog allowing you to select what files to upload. Once the appropriate files are selected, just hit “upload” at the bottom right. (note: the cancel button doesn’t work yet….sorry)

I will try and update this thread as new releases are made available.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pe2smugblog/

Updated: Current version is 1.0.2

Comments

• Options
    Ham1Ham1 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    yeehaw!
    pe2smugmug wrote:
    This is a new program to allow uploading photos from a Photoshop Elements 4.0 database to SmugMug. While PSE 5 can directly upload to SmugMug, older versions lack such functionality. So the goal was to provide some of this functionality to those of us with older versions. One of the important goals of mine was to allow Tags from PSE to be inserted into SmugMug as keywords along with other metadata.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    This is a .NET application and reuses a significant portion of the code from Send To SmugMug (so special thanks to Omar Shahine).
    This is an “alpha” release, so I’m looking for feedback on what features people like and what can be improved (and of course what bugs people find :(:)
    Use should be pretty straight forward, after launching, connect to smugmug using the File->Connect dialog. At the bottom left, you should see a directory tree of items in your PSE database. After you select a directory, the files in that folder should appear in the next dialog allowing you to select what files to upload. Once the appropriate files are selected, just hit “upload” at the bottom right. (note: the cancel button doesn’t work yet….sorry)
    I will try and update this thread as new releases are made available.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pe2smugblog/
    Evan this awesome!! clap.gif

I need to hunt down a version of PSE 4.0 to try it out. I would love to hear from others hear that try it out.

I will add this to our API page: http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/API

Thanks and keep us posted.

Markham
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2007
    New release available from sourceforge.net (0.1beta).

Changes:
    Added ability to autorotate images based on EXIF Orientation flag.
    Also, displays correctly rotated thumbnail within the application.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2008
    New Release
    New Release - Version 1.0.2

So I first posted this program back in May, and I never heard back from anyone (not one single user). Which really didn't bother me too much, I primarily wrote the program for myself. Anyway, I continued working on the software adding features as I needed them, but not really packaging it, because I didn't think anyone was using it.

Anyway, I finally took a look at the sourceforge site, and saw that it had been downloaded (and was still being downloaded) a fair number of times (far more then the zero I was expecting). Anyway, I tried to clean things up, added some features and am posting my latest release!

Changes are too many to post (really haven't kept track of them all), but the major ones are as follows:
    1) Fix auto-rotation of images
    2) Support for version stacks
    3) Support for Image stacks
    4) The cancel button works :D
    5) Better progress bars, and ability to recover from a disconect or network error
    6) The Biggie: Syncronization (at least from PSE -> SmugMug). Its pretty inteligent and if you just change the image tags/keywords, it will only change them, and NOT resend the entire file.rolleyes1.gif

Anyway, download and play with. Requires .NET 2.0 runtime. It should insall over the old version, but you might have to remove the old one first.

So the moral of the story is, if you are using software, saying anything to the developer is always a plus. Its nice to hear that people like/hate your software.

-Evan
  • Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    pe2smugmug wrote:
    So the moral of the story is, if you are using software, saying anything to the developer is always a plus. Its nice to hear that people like/hate your software.

OK, I'll bite... I'm a Lightroom user, so I'm not a target user of your app. That said, I love the idea, and hope to see a similar thing for Lightroom from someone at some point. Nice work. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2008
    wellman wrote:
    OK, I'll bite... I'm a Lightroom user, so I'm not a target user of your app. That said, I love the idea, and hope to see a similar thing for Lightroom from someone at some point. Nice work. thumb.gif
    Whoooho, replies!

So, the short answer is that I want to move over to lightroom. I like the raw processing, and completely non-destructive edits. The problem is that I don't know how to get edited files out of lightroom. Correction: I don't know how to export final images from an external program. You can do it from a lightroom script (how the current Lightroom -> SmugMug procedure works), but not externally; which limits what I can do. I took a look at the lightroom DB structure, and I can easily locate the original files (unedited), but that doesn't seem quite as useful. So until I (or someone else) figures out how to get lightroom to export images, its a no go. sorry. :cry
  • Options
    wuttrainwuttrain Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 31, 2008
    Upload
    Hi Evan,

First of all, I'd like to thank you for the hardwork developing this .net library.

I tried using the Image upload method and it worked fine when I ran it from development (using VS 2005 VB.net), but when I deployed the page to my website, I'm getting an error: "Image does not exist...".

Is there any setting I should set on my web.config, or is there another method that uses the file stream to upload?

Please let me know.

Thanks!
    Sherwin
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2008
    wuttrain wrote:
    Hi Evan,

First of all, I'd like to thank you for the hardwork developing this .net library.

I tried using the Image upload method and it worked fine when I ran it from development (using VS 2005 VB.net), but when I deployed the page to my website, I'm getting an error: "Image does not exist...".

Is there any setting I should set on my web.config, or is there another method that uses the file stream to upload?

Please let me know.

Thanks!
    Sherwin
    Hi Sherwin,

I replied to your post in the other thread on the .NET library. See http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=740044#post740044

-Evan