Options

Prime lenses for the dSLR

HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited March 11, 2005 in Cameras
I need some schooling.

My Nikon D70, like a lot of dSLR cameras, has a magnification factor of 1.5, which essentially means all my images are cropped by the Nikon software before I even see ‘em. It is said that a dSLR user should take the focal length of a given lens and multiply that number by 1.5 to determine the “actual” or “effective” focal length. I’m leaving a lot out here, I know. My question: Is a 28mm lens on my D70 optically equivalent to a 42mm lens on a 35mm SLR? Does a 70mm “become” a portrait-friendly 105mm on my camera? Or are things not that simple?

As you may have guessed, I’m considering shopping for some (used) prime lenses, but I want to know what I should be looking for first.
Tim

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    Hey Tim,

The Nikon cameras have a 1.5 mag factor so my 3000mm becomes a 450mm my 50mm becomes a 75mm and so on .Thta is a factor you will have to consider when choosing your pirmes.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    For all practical purposes, yes, a 70mm lens can be treated like 105mm lens and a 28mm can be treated as if it were a 42mm. Just take the focal length of whatever lens you are considering and multiply by 1.5.

However, it is not a software issue, this is a hardware/optical crop. The portion that is cropped is outside the image sensor and is never recorded.
    I need some schooling.

My Nikon D70, like a lot of dSLR cameras, has a magnification factor of 1.5, which essentially means all my images are cropped by the Nikon software before I even see ‘em. It is said that a dSLR user should take the focal length of a given lens and multiply that number by 1.5 to determine the “actual” or “effective” focal length. I’m leaving a lot out here, I know. My question: Is a 28mm lens on my D70 optically equivalent to a 42mm lens on a 35mm SLR? Does a 70mm “become” a portrait-friendly 127mm on my camera? Or are things not that simple?

As you may have guessed, I’m considering shopping for some (used) prime lenses, but I want to know what I should be looking for first.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2005
    However, it is not a software issue, this is a hardware/optical crop. The portion that is cropped is outside the image sensor and is never recorded.

Thanks for the clarification. I told you I needed schooling. :D
    Tim
  • Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    We'll learn you up real good.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    I need some schooling.

My Nikon D70, like a lot of dSLR cameras, has a magnification factor of 1.5, which essentially means all my images are cropped by the Nikon software before I even see ‘em. It is said that a dSLR user should take the focal length of a given lens and multiply that number by 1.5 to determine the “actual” or “effective” focal length. I’m leaving a lot out here, I know. My question: Is a 28mm lens on my D70 optically equivalent to a 42mm lens on a 35mm SLR? Does a 70mm “become” a portrait-friendly 105mm on my camera? Or are things not that simple?

"Portrait friendly" is really defined by the perceived perspective in the features and that is determined by how far you stand from the subject. The lens the gives you the best use uncropped of the frame thus becomes a portrait lens. For the tiny sensors in consumer dcams that might be 9mm and for a medium format (6x6) it might be 300mm. (note #1) The 35mm and the APS sized D70 or drebel fall inbetween.

All of which is to say yes you can just multiply by 1.5 for your 35mm equivalent. HOWEVER, when considering depth of field (DoF) the actual natural focal length of the lens should be considered.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    For what it's worth, my own experiences.. I previously had a Pentax K1000 film camera fitted w/ a 50mm f/2 lens. Nothing special, yet a great combo in my mind and it was a lot of fun to play w/ this lens. When I finally found the pennies and dimes to get a digital I settled on the DRebel, which has a 1.6x 'crop factor' much like your Nikon's 1.5x. I planned on getting the kit lens w/ the camera but wanted a simple fast prime to play w/. Basically I wanted to use my Pentax 50/2 on my Canon. Well, that just isn't gonna happen, so I went out and bought a Canon 35/2 instead. The crop factor makes the 35 just a touch more tele than 50mm on my DRebel, but I find it just as useful. The FOV and DOF both seem comparable. .. So yeah, I'd say things are really that simple..
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2005
    NHBubba wrote:
    For what it's worth, my own experiences.. I previously had a Pentax K1000 film camera fitted w/ a 50mm f/2 lens. Nothing special, yet a great combo in my mind and it was a lot of fun to play w/ this lens. When I finally found the pennies and dimes to get a digital I settled on the DRebel, which has a 1.6x 'crop factor' much like your Nikon's 1.5x. I planned on getting the kit lens w/ the camera but wanted a simple fast prime to play w/. Basically I wanted to use my Pentax 50/2 on my Canon. Well, that just isn't gonna happen, so I went out and bought a Canon 35/2 instead. The crop factor makes the 35 just a touch more tele than 50mm on my DRebel, but I find it just as useful. The FOV and DOF both seem comparable. .. So yeah, I'd say things are really that simple..
    Exactly. I can get a Nikkor 28/2.8 or 35/2 for not too much money. I want a simple, good lens that I can just walk around with and experiment. The lack of zoom or telephoto will force me to use my head and feet to compose a shot. Back to basics with my digital camera. :D
    Tim
  • Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    Exactly. I can get a Nikkor 28/2.8 or 35/2 for not too much money. I want a simple, good lens that I can just walk around with and experiment. The lack of zoom or telephoto will force me to use my head and feet to compose a shot. Back to basics with my digital camera. :D
    I hear ya there HM. The ONLY lens I have currently for the d70 is a 25 sumthin y/o nikkor 50mm prime. No AF, no data for the camera. It turns the camera into a 25 sumthin y/o camera, more or less! But it is alot of fun, the lens is SO clear, and it really, really makes one work for their shots. I have enjoyed the limitations, actually.

I didn't get the kit lens because I had a very sweet deal on body alone (new - $675), so I'll be adding some different glass sooner or later. I had my eye on a 24-85, and maybe something longer as well, but, I have a hard time being motivated! I love that 50mm lens, it's just so crisp!! (Course, having things like AF and the ability to actually USE that camera like it was intended do come into play. I don't even have a meter!)
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg