Options

Where's Nikolai?

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited January 31, 2008 in Assignments
You may be asking that very question....

Nik's offline for the weekend, due to a cable company snafu. He'll be back online on Monday, at the earliest. :thumb
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    You may be asking that very question....

Nik's offline for the weekend, due to a cable company snafu. He'll be back online on Monday, at the earliest. thumb.gif
    Thank you David! thumb.gif

I'm finally back. And at least I have something to show to justify my absence: mwink.gif

228611580.png
    (Got 15/15 deal from Verizon)

For the next few days I will be less frequenting dgrin during the day, very heavy situation at work, but as of Feb 2 everything should be back to normal :-)

Thank you everybody who noticed:-) iloveyou.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Welcome back!
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you David! thumb.gif

(Got 15/15 deal from Verizon)

Very nice, that's fiber, right?

3x my download, and 32x my upload speeds on cable!
    Chris
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    Welcome back!
    Thanks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Very nice, that's fiber, right?

3x my download, and 32x my upload speeds on cable!
    Yep, the fios thingie. I had 15/5 and they came up with a very cheap upgrade to 15/15 - of course I couldn't pass. But - they screwed the setting while upgrading, and of course it happend on Firday, and I only learned about it after the regular offices were closed, etc, etc. So finally today a guy came, called up a network tech, they have reset the connection - et voila, green lights al around! clap.gif Just too bad I had to wait 4 days...:cry
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    I check everyone once in a while... but it's still not available in my area. :cry
    Chris
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Okay, so I'm not totally up to speed on this-- but I did read in Newsweek that Japan enjoys internet speeds 13x what we have in the USA! Is that just a function of fiber optic connections? headscratch.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited January 31, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Okay, so I'm not totally up to speed on this-- but I did read in Newsweek that Japan enjoys internet speeds 13x what we have in the USA! Is that just a function of fiber optic connections? headscratch.gif
    Pete,
    Japan is a tiny densely populated country already covered with the extensive network of cell towers and other cabling systems.
    Scale does matter. Take the community where I live for example: we probably have 300 standalone family houses in our track. It took 6 weeks for Verizon subcontractors to lay down the fiber, which serves at most 1000 people (older folks mostly) and last time I checked I could only see 6 (!)connection points. Somewhere in Tokyo same amount of cabling would give them, I don't know, 10,000 active users? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Congratulations on the upgrade! Speed baby!!!:ian
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yep, the fios thingie. I had 15/5 and they came up with a very cheap upgrade to 15/15 - of course I couldn't pass. But - they screwed the setting while upgrading, and of course it happend on Firday, and I only learned about it after the regular offices were closed, etc, etc. So finally today a guy came, called up a network tech, they have reset the connection - et voila, green lights al around! clap.gif Just too bad I had to wait 4 days...:cry

That will teach you for doing changes on Friday. Glad that you're back on track ... I mean online.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2008
    yukio wrote:
    That will teach you for doing changes on Friday. Glad that you're back on track ... I mean online.
    Cuong
    well, it was in fact done on Thursday...:-) But it took them 24 hours to do it, hence it crawled in to the dreaded weekend-no-work-can-be-done zone ne_nau.gif