Options

Havana Street Scenes

MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
edited February 2, 2008 in Landscapes
I spent several days wandering the streets of Havana on my trip.
Everything is beautiful even though - or maybe because - it is falling apart.

Here are some of my street pics.

249423428-L.jpg

249440677-L.jpg

249469186-L.jpg

I also made a separate post for people and will do one for dogs too...ended up with a lot of dog pics.

Comments

• Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    Very nice set Moni. I'd love to have that '57 Chevy :D

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    Jack'll do wrote:

Most of the cars there are held together with good intentions. There are a few tho that are in good shape. Here's one:

249498202-L.jpg

And here is one that is not doing as well:

249481697-L.jpg
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    Jack'll do wrote:

Actually Jack that is a '55 Chevy...

I have been saying for a long time that if we ever lift the trade embargo car enthusiasts will decend on the island in droves to buy up the old cars that seem to be pretty rust free.

As Moni says they are held together by a lot hard work but the Cuban drivers are renowned for being able to rebuild a 3 speed manual transmission in the street in a couple of hours with about 5 wrenches, pliers, screwdriver, and a jack.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    dmmattix wrote:

I have been saying for a long time that if we ever lift the trade embargo car enthusiasts will decend on the island in droves to buy up the old cars that seem to be pretty rust free.

I said the exact same thing! Try to get your hands on that 55 Chevy. Even the interior is pristine.
    Keeping the rust away is a tough job tho...the gulf mist along the Havana shoreline means that owners have to wash their cars pretty often.

There is a company there called Grancar that is a taxi service using the old cars. They look lovely.
    Another taxi service for the locals also use old cars but those cars are in much worse shape.