Options

Winter Road Rally

Fishin MusicianFishin Musician Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited February 4, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Took my new Canon 40D out for the first time today. They have a road rally here in my hometown in northern Michigan this weekend every year. Racing on snow and ice covered back roads, what a blast. Heck, my brother and I have been doing that for years. Well not so much since we have gotten older.

I do think I am going to like the 40D, but I have a lot of learning / re-learning to do.
Definitely going to have to get the media pass for next year so I can get to the better shooting spots.

Here are a few shots, thanks for looking.

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

[FONT=&quot]IMG_0688.jpg[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Took my new Canon 40D out for the first time today. They have a road rally here in my hometown in northern Michigan this weekend every year. Racing on snow and ice covered back roads, what a blast. Heck, my brother and I have been doing that for years. Well not so much since we have gotten older.

I do think I am going to like the 40D, but I have a lot of learning / re-learning to do.
    Definitely going to have to get the media pass for next year so I can get to the better shooting spots.

Here are a few shots, thanks for looking.

Now that looks like fun, cold fun :D
    The snow looks pretty deep for racing, is that normal for this kind of thing?
    I'm sure you will enjoy the 40D, I need to get out and use mine too.

Thanks for sharing your Road Rally, hope you get the media pass you want next time thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2008
    Skippy, actually it’s not that deep, unless you run off the roadway. The road is plowed and scraped; they are our everyday driving roads. They close off portions to the general traffic, so they can race certain stages.

The snow in woods was a foot or better deep. From the distance of the specator area it makes the cars look like they are driving through a foot of snow. If I get the media pass next year, should be able to get better shots as I will be able to get closer to the roadway.
  • Options
    Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Cool shots, how did Pastrana do?
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    One is awesome!
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited January 28, 2008
    Matt...the results on the Rally America site shows Travis as DNF, "Did Not Finish"...so I went over to his website and read that with a 2 minute lead and 11 miles to go, a deer lept out from the woods onto his hood, taking out the light bar, radiator, hood, pulley, and motor and they coasted to a halt.

Canadian Antoine L’Estage won the event this year.

FM
  • Options
    kangamanguskangamangus Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Winter rally is awesome!!

I like pic 3, really gives a good idea of the action!

Looks like you have a few good ones!!!

They hold a rally up here in NH and Maine every year!
    One of my favorites is ice racing!
  • Options
    PackMulePackMule Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Matt336 wrote:
    Cool shots, how did Pastrana do?

Uh.... (WARNING: PETA members don't bother clicking...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsLllQznkG8
  • Options
    blalorblalor Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Matt...the results on the Rally America site shows Travis as DNF, "Did Not Finish"...so I went over to his website and read that with a 2 minute lead and 11 miles to go, a deer lept out from the woods onto his hood, taking out the light bar, radiator, hood, pulley, and motor and they coasted to a halt.

Ah, I saw that on Jalopnik. Pastrana screamed like a little girl (and I can't say I blame him!). :D