Options

Second lens for dRebel Kit

PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
edited March 11, 2005 in Cameras
I have a 300D Digital Rebel with the 18-55mm kit lens. I'm getting ready to buy my second lens and need some advice on what I should get.

I want a zoom lens that's good for nature and portrait shooting. One that will get me in closer to distant subjects. One that I can use handheld without too much shake.

The two I am considering are:

EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 USM

and

EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM

Any suggestions? Even a lens other than the ones I listed?

Comments

• Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    My second lens on my 300D was a Sigma 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Macro. It runs about 200 bucks brand new and has a very broad range of capabilites. Do you have a maximum budget?
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    My second lens on my 300D was a Sigma 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Macro. It runs about 200 bucks brand new and has a very broad range of capabilites. Do you have a maximum budget?
    Thanks for the reply. Yep, I have a budget of about $200. I'm trying to stay within the $150 - $200 range. After all, I still need to afford a Speedlite flash and a good tripod.
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2005
    Is Tamron and Sigma actually worth my consideration versus Canon? Does Tamron or Sigma offer something close to L series quality for much less moolah?

I'm soooooo confused on what lens to buy. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2005
    What will you mainly be shooting? Do you want used or new? Is 200 your maximum you want to spend?
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2005
    I'll mostly be shooting nature, landscape, and portrait. You know, the more I read the more I realize I'm going to have to pay over... well over, $200 for something good. New or used... doesn't matter as long as it is in good shape.

This is such an expensive hobby!!! :cry
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2005
    If you are in LA, I would rent a couple lenses from a photography place before you spend TOO much money on a lens. The good thing is, if you buy used, and keep it in good shape. You can almost sell it for what you bought it for :)
  • Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    I'm in a similar situation...I think my first lens purchase will be the 50mm either 1.8 or 1.4 (probably the 1.4). Why? I tend to find the zoomed end of the 18-55 is what I usually use in composing shots, and I'd like to have better low-light/indoor shooting capability. It seems like a pretty decent portrait lens also.
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2005
    I have the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and I love it! thumb.gif