Options

XT or XTi for noob?

PackMulePackMule Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited June 2, 2008 in Cameras
Hello, folks.

I've long fancied a DSLR, and after much searching on this site, I've decided on a Canon entry-level. I was angling toward the XTi, but have started wondering if an XT 8mp might suffice? It would certainly allow me to pick up an extra lens or two (it seems the 50mm is a top pick, and I would also like a telephoto 70 --300mm as well).

Are there substantive differences between the XT and the XTi other than the MP? The more I think about it, the more I think the 8mp will be okay, unless there are other differences that I'm not aware of?

I briefly flirted with photography 15yrs ago, but the developing and film costs were too much for me to really play around the way I wanted to. I'm really looking forward to being able to experiment and learn about exposure, etc.

Thanks!!

Nate

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited February 3, 2008
    Nate,

Welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

The XT is still a fine camera and I use mine both professionally and personally (along with a 40D and 1D MKII.)

The XTi has some interesting features above the XT/350D, but I never found them compelling enough to warrant an upgrade.

Perhaps if you explain what type of photography you are interested in, you might get more opinion on the matter.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Nate,

Welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks!!

The XT is still a fine camera and I use mine both professionally and personally (along with a 40D and 1D MKII.)

The XTi has some interesting features above the XT/350D, but I never found them compelling enough to warrant an upgrade.

Could you elaborate on those features or point me to a comparative reference? ear.gif

Perhaps if you explain what type of photography you are interested in, you might get more opinion on the matter.

Good question. headscratch.gif

Most important subject matter will be the kids (2yrs and to-be-born in a few weeks), in every sort of situation you can imagine.

I tend to have an affinity for landscape shots and interesting compositions that catch my eye (shadows, lines, etc).

I also plan to play around a lot with the technical aspects of exposure (the kind of playing and learning I couldn't do with film).

I don't know -- is that a valid description of what I plan to do (or is that what EVERYONE does with a camera?) :giggle

Thanks,

Nate
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Oh, and I'd like to take photos like this on occasion:

2239801869_997da7c312_o.jpg

mwink.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited February 3, 2008
    PackMule wrote:
    ... Could you elaborate on those features or point me to a comparative reference? ear.gif

The biggest differences are that the XTi has a much larger and higher resolution LCD display, a slightly improved autofocus section and the shot buffer was doubled.

The additional megapixels might allow a little more cropping, but is otherwise not too significant.

If you really want to do moto-x and similar you might want at least the 30D. It is much more responsive overall and, with a faster focusing lens, should give you more total keepers.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    eyusufeyusuf Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    i would get a rebel (300D) if you just started out. it can be had cheaply these days; i think someone is selling one for sell than 250 bucks.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    XTi has a bigger LCD screen, which is a big difference IMO, slightly bigger buffer (important if you do a lot of action), a slightly faster AF system (maybe a factor for moving subjects), has a slightly better build feel, and has a slightly better viewfinder. Lastly, the XTi has a dust repellent sensor.

XT has less noise in my view and if you print no bigger than 8x12, I wouldn't even let the MP marketing ploy be a deciding factor.

If money is a factor and if you can live with a 1.8in LCD, then I think the XT would represent a better value. I'd rather have an XT with several lenses vs XTi with one lens.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    If money is a factor and if you can live with a 1.8in LCD, then I think the XT would represent a better value. I'd rather have an XT with several lenses vs XTi with one lens.

Thanks. I think this is the deciding factor for me, as nearly every n00b thread that I read (yes, I did read extensively before posting my question!) emphasizes glass (both quality, and variety).

I'll get the XT with the kit lens, and also the 50mm f/1.4. I think this will allow me to play with some fun portrait type stuff with the kids -- which will make Mrs. PackMule and the rest of the family very happy, as well as some general walkabout shooting. This should be in about the price range of an XTi kit, which my accountant (read: Mrs. PackMule) already agreed to (after shooting down my proposal for an XTi with the kit lens plus 70-300).

I'll aim for a longer lens a few months down the road. Presuming that I end up getting sucked into this as hard as I do my other hobbies, I'll eventually upgrade bodies down the line and have the beginnings of a lens collection going already. In the meantime, I'll take a boatload of pics with the XT, learning my way, and I'll have it to use as a utility/bike trip camera even once I upgrade.

Any flaws in this strategy? ear.gif
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    I agree with Ziggy53
    Ziggy53 states: If you really want to do moto-x and similar you might want at least the 30D. It is much more responsive overall and, with a faster focusing lens, should give you more total keepers."

I have both the XT and the 30D and I find that the 30D is more responsive, focuses faster and IMO is generally more enjoyable to shoot with. The 5 fps burst rate really helps when you ar shooting action.

However, as Ziggy also states, the XT is a fine camera and at the present prices for the body, is one heck of a bang for the buck.

I would prefer getting an XT with a better lens than a 30D with a less capable lens. I would not neccessarily opt for the kit lens except as a short term expedient.

Additionally, if you get the XT used in good condition for say $250 or so, you can alway use that camera as a second body somewhere down the line. The advantages of using two bodies are great and have been discussed pretty well in other strings.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    Thanks, RP!

Action shots are definitely a secondary, actually probably tertiary, subject-matter priority (although no doubt close to my passion for motorcycling).

With a second child arriving in a matter of days, money is definitely a prominent consideration. If a 30D or similar is good now, it'll be good (for me) in a year or two, too. I'm at a point in my life where I don't need to be on the bleeding edge of equipment, unless it's a case where I have the ability to use it to its full potential.

I should probably also think about some processing utilities. I'll be delving into the tutorials on this site as soon as I get the hardware ordered. nod.gif
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    If the 50mm is going to be your main lens, then get the f1.4 version.
    If you are going to use the kit lens as you main lens, then consider getting just the body and geting the 18-55mm f2.5-5.6 IS version for $175, it's much better than non IS version and get a 50mm f1.8 lens for $75.

Best to put most money into your most often used lens if you can.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    If the 50mm is going to be your main lens, then get the f1.4 version.
    If you are going to use the kit lens as you main lens, then consider getting just the body and geting the 18-55mm f2.5-5.6 IS version for $175, it's much better than non IS version and get a 50mm f1.8 lens for $75.

Best to put most money into your most often used lens if you can.

This is the 50mm f/1.4 I was looking at -- is this the right one? Seems to be very well-regarded from the reviews I read, and I think it will get a lot of use.

I'll have to look into the price difference of getting a body instead of the kit and tacking on the IS 18-55mm. Seems like the cost difference between the IS/non-IS is only about $35 if purchased separately?
  • Options
    nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Rebel XT
    Hi, I'm still "new" to photography as well, at least the digital sort anyway, and for the same reasons as you, didn't get into film as much either. I find this forum to be a HUGE help and is often my "bible" when I'm stuck and need help, advice and opinions. Everyone here has been great. To get to the point, I just wanted to say that I think you'll be fine with the REB XT to start. That was my first DSLR a year and a half ago and I still own and use it in addition to my newly purchased 30D. I think it's a great camera to learn with and if you're happy with it, it will suit your needs just fine for what you want to do. I used my REB XT for sport shots (among many other types of shooting) and I was quite happy with the results. On the otherhand, if you do jump into photography full-force, you will begin to see what it is you need to upgrade to. That being said, the 30D is an awesome camera, especially with the reduced prices since the 40D has been released. I myself bought the 30D as it was such a steal and for now, it more than meets my needs. I do strongly recommend purchasing the best lens' that you can afford, IMHO, as I have noticed that the better quality lens' are well worth their weight in gold! Enjoy your new purchases and don't forget to show us your pics!! :D
    Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    The 50mm f1.4 is optically a bit nicer and built much better than the 50mm f1.8. If this is going to be your main lens, then I'd probably get the f1.4 version you are considering.

However, on a cropped sensor body like the XT/XTi, a 50mm will feel more like a 80mm lens and it may be too long for normal stuff except for headshots/portraits. If you intend to do a lot of portrait of your kids, this may be a fine choice. If not getting a cheaper 50mm f1.8 and buying a much nicer "Kit" lens that you use daily may give you more bang for the bucks.

Here is a direct comparison between the two 50mm lenses.
    http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/50v50
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    nightspidy wrote:
    ...To get to the point, I just wanted to say that I think you'll be fine with the REB XT to start...I think it's a great camera to learn with and if you're happy with it, it will suit your needs just fine for what you want to do...On the otherhand, if you do jump into photography full-force, you will begin to see what it is you need to upgrade to...I do strongly recommend purchasing the best lens' that you can afford, IMHO, as I have noticed that the better quality lens' are well worth their weight in gold!

I completely agree with this. Still shooting my XT and have passed up the XTi and the new XSi because the XT still does well, and it has indeed shown me what features I want when I upgrade in a couple years. I did upgrade my lenses, which was really the key to getting the shots I wanted out of the XT (or any body). If you have to save money, save it on the body but don't get a cheap lens.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    The goods are in the mail
    Well, in doing my due diligence in researching a seller, I missed the XT kit I was going to get by a few hours. Couldn't find another comparable deal on the XT, but a good one on an XTi body fell into my lap. It's on the way, as are the lenses detailed below:

Tee Why wrote:

BTW, should this read 3.5-5.6? That's the only one I could find. headscratch.gif

Hopefully they get here before the baby does! :baby

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm looking forward to getting my new hobby started!
    clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    Yea, the old kit is a 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 mark II. The new one is 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS.
  • Options
    BuddyBuddy Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    good read, off to buy a XT with a 18-55 :D

now? black or silver :D
  • Options
    BuddyBuddy Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    order placed, will have it next week :D
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Is this the same PackMule that's running the ADV RR "Hall of fame"? bowdown.gif

I've got an XT, and have found it to be pretty incredible. While the XT & XTi are too close for me to justify upgrading, the extra MP in the XTi make it easier to post-process pics that need to be cropped down, rotated & straightened, etc. and salvage what would otherwise be a less than good shot.

You didn't ask about post-processing SW, but I'll toss in my two cents there: If you're going to take lots of shots, then Adobe Lightroom is well worth the price. It enables you to process and manage hundreds of pics easily, and do most of the usual basic post-processing activities one would do. In particular - you can get one image adjusted to what you like, copy the settings, and then apply those settings to other pictures taken in similar circumstances. This is a huge time saver compared to trying to make the same individual adjustments to a set of pictures by hand.

It's a bit more than Photoshop Elements, but well worth the price.

Congrats on the new kid thumb.gif and enjoy the camera!
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    PackMule wrote:
    Hello, folks.

I've long fancied a DSLR, and after much searching on this site, I've decided on a Canon entry-level. I was angling toward the XTi, but have started wondering if an XT 8mp might suffice? It would certainly allow me to pick up an extra lens or two (it seems the 50mm is a top pick, and I would also like a telephoto 70 --300mm as well).

Are there substantive differences between the XT and the XTi other than the MP? The more I think about it, the more I think the 8mp will be okay, unless there are other differences that I'm not aware of?

I briefly flirted with photography 15yrs ago, but the developing and film costs were too much for me to really play around the way I wanted to. I'm really looking forward to being able to experiment and learn about exposure, etc.

Thanks!!

Nate

nvm problem solved.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    I just sold my XT and bought the new XSi. Check it out before you make your purchase. It will cost you a few hundred more, but in the long run you might find it worth the investment. Both are great. :D