Options

Engagement picture

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited February 6, 2008 in Weddings
I am doing this couples wedding in about a month. this is their engagement photo. Comments welcome

251396462-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Good pose
    A couple things to make it better......soft focus here could be toned down....would really like to see a bit less skin softening, sharper eyes, lips and hair. Second....the centeredness of the pose with black sides takes me away from reviewing again and again....don't know if there is much that can be done but typically strong portraits have a bit of separation between subject(s) background. I've done plenty of the black background though and really its a personal preferrence thing. Guess it depends on the pose, the people, the skin tone, etc.

Some food for thought.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    This doesn't feel like an engagement photo to me. I normally see more intimacy in the shot- facing each other- one holding the other- the back to back seems to brother- sister like. ne_nau.gif

As far as the shot itself- I don't like the halo effect between them and the black background- it is quite soft especially here hair, their eyes, and his shirt- they also seem a bit red -at least on my screen.

Don't mean to sound harsh- that is just how I see it.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    I agree, I like the shot but there is not much intimacy between them ... If it's not too cold, I would take them (or your next couple) outside the studio, couples are usually much more relaxed somewhere outside, and will show you their real personality.

• Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    hmmmm

You like this one any better?
    251398712-M.jpg
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    yes...
    Engagement photos aren't as much about the portrait side of capturing the image - it's about the new love and excitement and emotion. This is a step in that direction. I love to have them looking at each other more than at the camera. Still need to tone down the red a bit.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    The intimacy is better, though they are interacting with the camera rather than with each other. For my taste, I like engagement shots where the couple pretty much ignores the camera.

As for the portraits as portraits: I'm thinking the softening in the first is a bit much. In the second, a little softening would have made for a more flattering portrait of her. Tone down the red a bit. This shot appears to be entirely front-lit. On a black background, especially with dark hair, it's usually a good thing to add some light from behind to seperate the subjects from the background.
  • Options
    brianhanleybrianhanley Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    the first shot looks more like a sports promo photo than engagement.

and should she show the ring??
    Nikon D50 brianhanley.com
  • Options
    VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    They look like a happy couple, very photogenic... buit its boring... sorry to say... its an engagement photo right? I'd like to see the guy with his arms around her, both facing the same direction with something in the background. Outside on some steps or something like that... something that says "hey we're in the real world here", and rule of 3's...