Options

VUVOX collage maker and SmugMug

Ham1Ham1 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
edited June 8, 2009 in The Big Picture
We have been working with VUVOX on integrating their new Collage maker tool with SmugMug.

It seems to be really slick, but we would like feedack from others. Is this useful, how and why? What other functionality is missing? VUVOX has been really responsive to work with.

What else do people like or dislike?

You do NOT need a VUVOX account to play around with this tool. When/if you want to save the collage, then you need an account. (free & easy)

Go to this link: http://www.vuvox.com/collage/edit?tab=smugmug

Here is a sample that was created by the San Jose Mercury News: http://www.vuvox.com/collage?mural=47

Markham

More on VUVOX:

EXCLUSIVELY AT Smugmug !

( Free Trial Period )

Photo and Media Collage for the 21st century !

Create online dynamic media panoramas - using your Smugmug photos.

COLLAGE is a new creation suite that enables everyone to easily turn photos, videos, text and audio clips into rich interactive narratives.

Features include:

-- Drag and Drop Upload from your Smugmug account

-- Dynamic media positioning and layout tools

-- Image Cut-Out and Masking features

-- Layer positioning and Compositing

-- Ability to layer & position video with your photos.

-- Interactive 'Hot-spots’

-- Ability to add media details

-- WYSIWYG panoramic navigation

-- Embed & share in any website or blog

Whether you're a photojournalist,

photoblogger, or, a photo enthusiast...

COLLAGE is your photo expression space !

Comments

• Options
    PilznrPilznr Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    I'm playing with it right now and I have a lot of free time tonight. So Far it's really awesome. thumb.gif I like it. I'll probably have it on my website by the end of the night (10p in NJ)
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    I made a collage: http://www.vuvox.com/collage/detail/24942

It will not let me save the collage without a title at the top. I don't care if it says "created by Vuvox" but I don't want to have a title if possible.

My other big problem is getting it into the code so that it only appears on my home page. The slideshow I have right now is based out of a smugmug gallery and there's some other code involved that replaces the "biobox" with the slideshow. How do I get the Vuvox collage to appear in the "biobox" area. I looked around for some code, but all I found was the code that I already have which uses a smugmug gallery.

Other than that, the software is pretty cool and user friendly.
  • Options
    Ham1Ham1 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Pilznr wrote:

It will not let me save the collage without a title at the top. I don't care if it says "created by Vuvox" but I don't want to have a title if possible.

My other big problem is getting it into the code so that it only appears on my home page. The slideshow I have right now is based out of a smugmug gallery and there's some other code involved that replaces the "biobox" with the slideshow. How do I get the Vuvox collage to appear in the "biobox" area. I looked around for some code, but all I found was the code that I already have which uses a smugmug gallery.

I don't know the answer to either of these questions but I will try and find out and get back to you.

As for adding the code to your homepage, I have not played around with it enough to tell you how to replace your SM Flash slideshow with this collage.

Have you tried adding it as your header?

Markham
  • Options
    fubdogfubdog Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2008
    saving without a title...
    good catch. We tried to save with replacing it with a 'space' but no luck.
    It needs a character currently, but we'll try and update it so that you can save with the title being empty.

On another note, here's an embed tip: If you want to embed so that you can control the color surrounding the collage: here's the code to do it:

<object width="100%" height="386" bgcolor="ffffff"><param value="true" name="allowFullScreen"/><param value="http://www.vuvox.com/collage_express/collage.swf?collageID=24942&marginColor=0xffffff&quot; name="movie"/><embed width="100%" src="http://www.vuvox.com/collage_express/collage.swf?collageID=24942&marginColor=0xffffff&quot; allowfullscreen="true" height="386" bgcolor="ffffff" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

note that you can set the 'bgcolor='ffffff' (just set the hex # to the value you want to match the page you are embedding it on.

NOTE: we'll be adding a nice color picker GUI on the embed code GUI to make this easier.

BTW: nice looking collage! :D
    Pilznr wrote:

• Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    Ham1 wrote:
    Have you tried adding it as your header?

I have tried it as my header, so I know the code works. But when it's in the header code, it appears on every page. I'd rather not have that.

I'll keep looking back for tips on how to get the code to replace my "biobox" smugmug slideshow.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Pilznr wrote:
    I have tried it as my header, so I know the code works. But when it's in the header code, it appears on every page. I'd rather not have that.

I'll keep looking back for tips on how to get the code to replace my "biobox" smugmug slideshow.

Matt,

Cool Vuvox! And I recognize some of the shots from the DP community!

Ham1, I'll give it a try as well
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    This looks really cool!
    My head is literally spinning w/ ideas!

Subscribed to thread.
  • Options
    bwillbwill Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 12, 2008
    VUVOX Collage updated to support the new security changes
    Hi. We just updated VUVOX to now work with the changes SmugMug made to enhance the security of your images. If you tried it this past weekend and had problems with newly uploaded smugmug photos, we apologize!

You can check it out at http://www.vuvox.com/collage/edit?tab=smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    Other Examples (and uses) for collage
    Here's some other examples (and ideas) of how collage can be used. These are coming in from the VUVOX private beta. If you have any feedback for us, please let us know!

collage_examples_gallery.jpg

Examples:

<!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->Photojournalism / Feature – Willow Glen piece produced by San Jose Mercury News<o:p></o:p>

-Self Expression, political - personal blog, embedobama.com
    <o:p> </o:p>
    -Personal Expression (Band) – Great example of a personal profile example – in this case a young band
    <o:p></o:p>

-Family Albums & blogging – How to document family events

-Retail / Shopping experience – ability to link to ecommerce links, auctions and other e-commerce

o Traditional storefront – Example of traditional store

o Environment / Real-estate – a Good example of an environment.

o Virtual Galleries – Virtual Gallery 1Exhibit Gallery 2 – with links to sales/commerce.

• Options
    dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    This looks like an exciting format and opportunity to be creative.

I've been through the VUVOX website to learn about their offerings and I have some confusion. There was a lot of motherhood in terms like:
    'Publish'
    'mix it up'
    'create your vibe'
    'share your piece'
    which was a little hard to interpret.

I went to the terms of service and after reading them i have the following sort of questions to let me understand what I am agreeing to:
    What is the VUVOX model?
    Is the goal to sell a hosting service?
    For viewing photo slides?
    For creating photoslides?
    For storing photoslides or photoslide components?
    Is the goal to sell software?
    For viewing photo slides on personal computers?
    For Viewing photoslides on personal websites?
    Is it the goal to display banner ads?

What is the VUVOX implementation?
    What portions of user submissions are contained on the website?
    What portions of user submissions are accessed by reference?

Also, since the current terms of service are 'personal, non-commercial purposes only', aren't the following examples in conflict with the terms of service? Are the terms expected to change to allow commercial application?
    fubdog wrote:
    Here's some other examples (and ideas) of how collage can be used. These are coming in from the VUVOX private beta. If you have any feedback for us, please let us know!

Examples:

<!--[if !supportLists]-->...

-Retail / Shopping experience – ability to link to ecommerce links, auctions and other e-commerce

o Traditional storefront – Example of traditional store

o Environment / Real-estate – a Good example of an environment.

o Virtual Galleries – Virtual Gallery 1Exhibit Gallery 2 – with links to sales/commerce.

I have a large body of panoramic photos for which this might be a good creative match. I'd like to understand how this works and not invest a big chunk of time without knowing where it can go.

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    sub to thread, wanna watch where this goes...

i too would use it for landscape...
    one idea struck me, but it would take me a year to capture the images needed to put in use....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2008
    VUVOX site & messaging
    Dale,

We really appreciate your feedback and interest in VUVOX and our PRIVATE BETA COLLAGE platform.

You visited our VUVOX.com site, which is a consumer facing site. This site has a different mission and business model than where we are taking COLLAGE. COLLAGE is a platform that is being targeted toward a more professional, prosumer and serious photo enthusiast. We are excited to work with SmugMug to introduce COLLAGE to photographers like you, who want to take digital photography to a new level.

The goal for both VUVOX and SmugMug in this initial private test is to receive customer feedback in order to evaluate how best to offer COLLAGE to SmugMug Users. We hope to be able to expand our relationship with SmugMug in order to offer COLLAGE through their outstanding services...but, that is still under consideration.

While we can't pre-announce VUVOX's plans and strategy, we are putting in place a very solid answer to all your questions. You shouldn't look to the current VUVOX.com site in order to assess our strategy going forward with COLLAGE. We can say that our solution will meet all your requirements.

Like all our platforms, the produced pieces can be published and embedded into any web site or personal page. If we are able to establish a closer working relationship with SmugMug this will ease your ability to work with COLLAGE in a way that is complimentary to your current workflow. You can count on the SmugMug media upload tab to be there going forward.

To answer your other questions:

- What portions of user submissions are contained on the website ?

VUVOX creates instances at screen rez of your media. The original images all remain in your SmugMug albums. Our database manages the content structure of the complete COLLAGE file AND keeps links to the originals incase you want to save any new creation back to SmugMug or other print (higher res) service.

- What portions of user submissions are accessed by reference ?

You can direct your COLLAGES to be private or public. Right now we do not offer a public search capability for individual authors or COLLAGES.

If you have other questions, please feel free to contact me direct at:

dane at vuvoxnetwork dot com

Best,

Fubdog
    :D

dbd wrote:
    This looks like an exciting format and opportunity to be creative.

I've been through the VUVOX website to learn about their offerings and I have some confusion. There was a lot of motherhood in terms like:
    'Publish'
    'mix it up'
    'create your vibe'
    'share your piece'
    which was a little hard to interpret.

I went to the terms of service and after reading them i have the following sort of questions to let me understand what I am agreeing to:
    What is the VUVOX model?
    Is the goal to sell a hosting service?
    For viewing photo slides?
    For storing photoslides or photoslide components?
    Is the goal to sell software?
    For viewing photo slides on personal computers?
    For Viewing photoslides on personal websites?
    Is it the goal to display banner ads?

What is the VUVOX implementation?
    What portions of user submissions are contained on the website?
    What portions of user submissions are accessed by reference?

Also, since the current terms of service are 'personal, non-commercial purposes only', aren't the following examples in conflict with the terms of service? Are the terms expected to change to allow commercial application?

I have a large body of panoramic photos for which this might be a good creative match. I'd like to understand how this works and not invest a big chunk of time without knowing where it can go.

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com

• Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    I initially tried to use it and could figure out how to get a second row of photos. It seems limited to one row. That is very limiting. I got frustrated trying to figure things out and quit.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    Please elaborate on your point of 'frustration' and why you think it is limiting. As we are in private beta, this is very important for us to hear. Was it a User interface issue or that you wanted a '2nd' row?

This panoramic collage is designed as single row of photos and video. You can click on *any* piece of media on the stage to position, resize and arrange the way you want. It is endless in terms of allowing you to tell a sequential story or layer your images.

Your feedback will be most welcome.

thanks,

the VUVOX team

bham wrote:
    I initially tried to use it and could figure out how to get a second row of photos. It seems limited to one row. That is very limiting. I got frustrated trying to figure things out and quit.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2008
    fubdog wrote:
    Please elaborate on your point of 'frustration' and why you think it is limiting. As we are in private beta, this is very important for us to hear. Was it a User interface issue or that you wanted a '2nd' row?

This panoramic collage is designed as single row of photos and video. You can click on *any* piece of media on the stage to position, resize and arrange the way you want. It is endless in terms of allowing you to tell a sequential story or layer your images.

Your feedback will be most welcome.

thanks,

the VUVOX team

I sent you a pm. I didn't see anywhere before that had said it is JUST a panoramic. You may be limiting yourself and its potential uses by this. If it is just a panoramic tool, then it doesn't fit the needs of what I was looking for but looks like it could be very usefully for those who do.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    I'm in the same boat ... I found it very NON intuitive ... I didn't like the default random overlapping of images ... I found it very tedious and time consuming to deoverlap them and with no "snap to" functionality impossible to keep them lined up evenly.

And, I find it odd that SmugMug is participating and evaluating the site somehow, but it is not an option for uploading media from the web. When it does become an option, I might come back and look for improvements in usability.

I left a bunch of comments on the site and took the survey which scored very low. Definately not for me at this time.

Chuck Cannova
    http://chuckinsocal.SmugMug.com
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    Maybe a little step by step video how to create one of the panoramics and what options you DO have. I was lost with no place to turn. That is why I got frustated and quit.

Also in the original post it said collage maker, not panoramic maker, so I was anticipating what I considered a collage maker. A panoramic collage maker would have more acturately descibed the tool.

I think you would find most people would want the collage maker to have the ability to be taller. The only benefit of that much(could go on forever, or seemed like) of a panoramic would be to tell a story from beginning to end. Not all potential collages would work best in a beginning to end format. And if you create those long panoramics you are significantly limiting their ability to print them. Not many places do panoramas, and definitely not that long but very short. I believe most here would like to create something that they could then have the option of actually printing. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    Hi, Chuck. The overlapping of images is a bug - we don't always know the size of the images before they've been loaded, so if you add the photos quickly, they often overlap. Definitely something we will fix... But if wait for the image to load, you don't have to unoverlap them.

One of the hidden features is a 'nudge' function. You can select any layer and use the arrow keys to move it. Hold down the shift key to move it faster.

We're working on exposing our help videos from within the app - right now, you can find them at http://www.vuvox.com/collage/home in the learn more section.

I'm in the same boat ... I found it very NON intuitive ... I didn't like the default random overlapping of images ... I found it very tedious and time consuming to deoverlap them and with no "snap to" functionality impossible to keep them lined up evenly.

And, I find it odd that SmugMug is participating and evaluating the site somehow, but it is not an option for uploading media from the web. When it does become an option, I might come back and look for improvements in usability.

I left a bunch of comments on the site and took the survey which scored very low. Definately not for me at this time.

Chuck Cannova
    http://chuckinsocal.SmugMug.com
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    I stumbled across VuVox today and was blown away by the ease of use. I liked the multiple input sources but had a problem with my Smugmug images.

I opened the file that contained 199 photos from a parade I covered Monday.
    But I can only access the first 24. I as in the Express portion later on and it had 'page' button that let me move from page to page to select my Flickr photos. This appears to be missing on the Smugmug pages.

I tried using IE and Firefox, no difference. If you would like a screen shot of what I am seeing just let me know where to send it!

Edit: Here are 2 screenshot. 1 of the Smugmug interface and 1 of the Flickr interface.
    3570141314_4e1a4a29f8_o.jpg

3569329217_fdf639848e_o.jpg

The drop down arrow to select a different page is not accessible on the Smugmug interface.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    Thanks for the screenshot. The little arrow is there, it's just unfortunately underneath the "click or drag" message. You must have an album with a long title, which is why the drop down is so wide. As a workaround, you could expand the window so the arrow and the message don't overlap (that may be larger than your monitor). I'll try to get an update out shortly that will fix this.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    bwill wrote:
    Thanks for the screenshot. The little arrow is there, it's just unfortunately underneath the "click or drag" message. You must have an album with a long title, which is why the drop down is so wide. As a workaround, you could expand the window so the arrow and the message don't overlap (that may be larger than your monitor). I'll try to get an update out shortly that will fix this.

I tried a few changes to make the window configure differently but the arrow was never accessable. I tried shorter gallery names but that did not help either.

Thanks for the response! I'll check VuVox periodically to see if there has been any change.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009