Options

An example of beautiful form...

SirGeorgeSirGeorge Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
edited February 9, 2008 in Sports
Hi all,
Thought you may appreciate these examples of beautiful form and effort. Taken at the RI High School Freshman Championship on Tuesday night.
Regards,

20080205-Ross_494_020508_Freshman-1.jpg
20080205-Ross_136_020508_Freshman-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Nice panning George.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Great shots! The only problem with shot 1 is the person in the background is pretty distracting. The pan technique worked very well, but stride later and they would have been out of the frame and the result would have been better. Second shot is a great shot as-is.
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif. The 2nd one also has nice teeth and facial expression of intensity.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    Immovable objects
    John,
    I couldn't agree more with your comments but the problem with shooting runners looping a 148 meter track is that there is always someone on the other side and I try very hard to shoot the gaps. This is one where the great stride happened just before the gap. I could have posted the next shot in pan below, and while as great, the right leg is leading - the money shots for me are left leg leading.

By panning, I try to isolate the subject from the background knowing that there will almost always be somene there and by panning on a bend I cannot see the folks who walk into my line as my camera is pointingaway from the point where I will pull the trigger. (Does that make sense?)

I personally like this shot but parents like to see the faces of here kids!

I greatly appreciate the C and C because it does make me think more about composition.

20080205-Ross_496_020508_Freshman-1.jpg
    johng wrote:
    Great shots! The only problem with shot 1 is the person in the background is pretty distracting. The pan technique worked very well, but stride later and they would have been out of the frame and the result would have been better. Second shot is a great shot as-is.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    I personally like this shot but parents like to see the faces of here kids!

I sell alot of shots of kids backs, I used to delete them all but in the spirit of getting them on the site faster I stared leaving them, and they sell, a surprising amount of them. Believe it or not I actually had one mom tell me she loved the shots I get of the girls backs.
    This past meet I actually tried to get good shots of the girls focussing on their hair, the thought was that the moms spend alot of time getting it done, the shots didn't do as well as I thought but whatever.

George, how are you doing on sales of school stuff?
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Nice shots- but isn't the right leg leading in BOTH photosheadscratch.gif

Gene
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    Your other right,
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    right-left-right
    Good catch guys - I meant to write "arm" and not "leg"

On the business side - this is my first year and at this point my road race shots produce more dollars but I have a buiness plan and it is moving along - but it can always be better, that's for sure. I am only comfortable shooting RAW indoors but i shot JPEGs at road races which means the workflow time is much, much. less.

At this point in time, I am more concerned with building a quality portfolio of sports images and my business network rather than year one dollars. I hope that makes sense.

George.

beetle8 wrote:
    Your other right,
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    I meant to write "arm" and not "leg"
    George,
    uhm...
    the arms are the same in both pictures too.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    Lesson learned
    :) Lesson learned - when lying home in bed with Flu don't try and make sense!

I hang my head in shame.
    beetle8 wrote:
    George,
    uhm...
    the arms are the same in both pictures too.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2008
    :) Lesson learned - when lying home in bed with Flu don't try and make sense!

Ahw...where's the fun in that,

I asked about the School stuff cause I just started a few school events. The nice thing is they are a lot more relaxed with access, when they see you with the big rig they don't ask questions. I got a lot of great shots but traffic and sales on the site have few.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    beetle8 wrote:
    Ahw...where's the fun in that,

I asked about the School stuff cause I just started a few school events. The nice thing is they are a lot more relaxed with access, when they see you with the big rig they don't ask questions. I got a lot of great shots but traffic and sales on the site have few.

Keith,

From my experience sales are directly proportional to the time and money the PARENTS invest. You're not going to see the success you see in gymnastics because the parents aren't as obsessed. Gymnastics and swimming are pretty good money makers. Travel teams are also pretty good - assuming the team is good (remember we want obsessed parents). You'll always find parents that if they know your product is there they'll buy - even in HS.

I shoot HS sports for sales but also as stringer to a local paper. My editor is aware I sell and completely OK with it. If I wasn't also making money from the paper I wouldn't shoot HS sports - it's not as lucrative. Just my .02. In other areas it may be COMPLETELY different.