looooong exposures / bulb

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited March 26, 2004 in Technique
So how do you guys that have the awesome star trail pics do it? I think I've picked up this: tiny aperture, very long exposure, right? Well, the only problem is, for bulb, I have to hold the shutter open. Not only does my finger want to fall off, but i make the camera shake as I adjust. I've been contemplating rigging up some zip ties to hold it down for 10-20 minutes, but then, with my luck, I'm sure as I go to cut the zip tie and release the shutter, I'll give it a big shake, and ruin 20 minutes of exposure. I'm pretty sure there is no way to override this in my camera (canon 300D) to make it a click open / click shut kind of operation. Is this different on other cameras (nikons?)?

Here is one I did where i managed to hold it open for 89 seconds w/o too much shake. A start at least (need a pretty bright monitor):

3023790-M.jpg
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm pretty sure there is no way to override this in my camera (canon 300D) to make it a click open / click shut kind of operation. Is this different on other cameras (nikons?)?

You need remote control with RS-60E3 terminal or wireless Remote Controller RC-1 and RC-5.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    fish wrote:

You need remote control with RS-60E3 terminal or wireless Remote Controller RC-1 and RC-5.
    Don't you miss the good ol' days of cable releases???
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm pretty sure there is no way to override this in my camera (canon 300D) to make it a click open / click shut kind of operation. Is this different on other cameras (nikons?)?
    I seem to remember at least one of the Nikons I've had could work that way. It might have been my N-90 with the multi-control back. I don't know about the D series though.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    So how do you guys that have the awesome star trail pics do it? I think I've picked up this: tiny aperture, very long exposure, right? Well, the only problem is, for bulb, I have to hold the shutter open. Not only does my finger want to fall off, but i make the camera shake as I adjust. I've been contemplating rigging up some zip ties to hold it down for 10-20 minutes, but then, with my luck, I'm sure as I go to cut the zip tie and release the shutter, I'll give it a big shake, and ruin 20 minutes of exposure. I'm pretty sure there is no way to override this in my camera (canon 300D) to make it a click open / click shut kind of operation. Is this different on other cameras (nikons?)?

Here is one I did where i managed to hold it open for 89 seconds w/o too much shake. A start at least (need a pretty bright monitor):

3023790-M.jpg
    Hey Eric go to Hunts in Hadley and get a remote! they are very inexpensive and you can lock the shutter button down for long shots. Don't get the wireless, get the old fashion plug in, works wonders.
    Lynn
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 23, 2004
    fish wrote:

I have the RC5, its the cheapo one, don't think it will work on bulb. I'll check it out though.
    Erik

edited March 23, 2004
    just found it in the camera manual - says it works with bulb, one click to open, next click shuts, up to 2.5 hours bulb with full charged battery.

Should work.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious!
    Erik

edited March 23, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I have the RC5, its the cheapo one, don't think it will work on bulb. I'll check it out though.
    From your manual:
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited March 23, 2004
    fish wrote:
    From your manual:
    Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Again.
    :D
    I had read that same line right after I read your first post.
    Erik

edited March 23, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Again.
    :D
    I had read that same line right after I read your first post.

ain't the internet a wonderful thing?

and yes, I do miss the days of when you could just buy a $5 cable release.
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    The Nikon N90 requires a 125 dollar electronic release.

The nikon D100 digital takes the old style mechanical releases, kind ironic huh.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    The Nikon N90 requires a 125 dollar electronic release.

The nikon D100 digital takes the old style mechanical releases, kind ironic huh.

Yes, that is ironic. rolleyes1.gif

OK, dr, let's see your bub shots.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • peachmaanpeachmaan Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    It seems the Problem has been solved ....
    Another thing that could have been done is, while taping the button down, and after desired exposure releasing/untaping the button is
    ---> to cover the lens....

(I love my cable release!! )

Here's a pict and link to an addicting site..... danger......time will fly,IMO.
  • peachmaanpeachmaan Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    I 4got to post this....:

Explanation: Positioning his camera and tripod on planet Earth, near Maricopa, Arizona, USA, astrophotographer Joe Orman created this trailing display of the ongoing sky-full-of-planets on May 3rd. He initially captured the grouping in a 20 second long time exposure recording the positions of the bright planets and stars. Covering the camera lens for five minutes, he then exposed the same frame for 45 minutes, tracing the gentle arcs of the celestial wanderers as the Earth's rotation carried them toward the western horizon. Of course these planets, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn all still dazzle in western skies near sunset, but sky gazers who want to see Mercury should look soon. Mercury starts the evening closest to the horizon - visible here above the wide bright trail left by Venus - and in the coming days Mercury will be the first to leave the evening sky entirely as it moves closer to the setting Sun. Tonight Venus and Mars will appear very close together, separated by only one third of a degree.

Found on : This Site
    edited March 24, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Yes, that is ironic. rolleyes1.gif

OK, dr, let's see your bub shots.
    Bub shots, eh?

It was, of course, completely overcast last night.
    Erik

• zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    edited March 25, 2004
    It was clear last night, not very clear, but enough to give it a go, so here's the result:

2004-03-24.jpg

Not bad, but not great. I shot this at f/16 ISO100 for 25 minutes (at which point, my only partially charged battery gave up the ghost). Further suggestions?

Also took some moon shots that i haven't posted. Fixed up my previous error, and shot it at sunny f/16 1/125 and it looked good, but very small and grainy when i zoomed in to crop. Fish, how the hell did you get those really nice ones a while back? My main point of contention is I have no idea how you got the moon to fill so much of the frame. Am I wrong in thinking that your 200mm is your longest lens?
    Erik

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    It was clear last night, not very clear, but enough to give it a go, so here's the result:

2004-03-24.jpg

Not bad, but not great. I shot this at f/16 ISO100 for 25 minutes (at which point, my only partially charged battery gave up the ghost). Further suggestions?

Also took some moon shots that i haven't posted. Fixed up my previous error, and shot it at sunny f/16 1/125 and it looked good, but very small and grainy when i zoomed in to crop. Fish, how the hell did you get those really nice ones a while back? My main point of contention is I have no idea how you got the moon to fill so much of the frame. Am I wrong in thinking that your 200mm is your longest lens?
    Hey Erik thats pretty good.. I must try all this...and remember to recharge my battery....:D
    edited March 25, 2004
    zero-zero wrote:

What a coincidence that you should post that. Thanks. For the last week I've been thinking about ways to duplicate a film camera's ability to do multiple exposures on a single frame. I have a completely different reason for wanting to do it... but this product must be a lot easier to use than shooting multiple, carefully underexposed digital frames, and then combining them.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2004
    I've been wanting to give these things a try, but we're currently experiencing our typica June gloom in March. Hrm. I've also wanted to try a long exposure (but not that long) to capture the jets approaching LAX (we live right under the flight path for the westbound traffic), but the low ceiling has made it impossible. Argh.

Btw, I really love the sky/planetary/star shots!
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited March 25, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    What a coincidence that you should post that. Thanks. For the last week I've been thinking about ways to duplicate a film camera's ability to do multiple exposures on a single frame. I have a completely different reason for wanting to do it... but this product must be a lot easier to use than shooting multiple, carefully underexposed digital frames, and then combining them.
    Take a look at www.astrostack.com too.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited March 26, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Take a look at www.astrostack.com too.

Ian

Thanks Ian, have you tried it?
    Sid.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited March 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks Ian, have you tried it?
    Yes. Pretty easy to use. But I've never tried to stack anything
    like the other guy has (starfields and badlands).

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited March 26, 2004
    Think it would work for street shots? Low light, traffic trails, a way to avoid over exposing some parts of the shot to get long exposures for traffic trails?
    Sid.