Options

What's THE fastest way to upload Smugmug?

MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited February 10, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Ok, I've been using the "send to smugmug" hack and it works well.
Just wondering if that's the most practical way to upload (speed wise) lots of photos at once... maybe there are tools I'm not yet aware of?

One lesson I learned... using irfanview to tag the photos one really needs to use the "" marks before and after each and every word you tag and then upload because Smugmug didn't like the words without the quotation marks.

Thank you,
Markjay
Markjay
Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
Canon 20D - no more film!

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited January 13, 2008
    I can't speak about speed, but if you're uploading large numbers of photos you might want to consider Star*Explorer. Thread and link to product is at http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=4126.

--- Denise
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    I doubt which tool you use will make any significant impact. The connection speed you have will be most critical, and the throughput speed to SM's servers. That said I tend to use Komodo Drop as it stay's out of the way & I can continue to work with my other apps while the upload is in progress--not an actual acceleration, but a perceived one since I'm not stuck twiddling my thumbs while it's going.
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    I'm not sure that any software may help you, sorry.
    Upload speed for standard cable/DSL connections are about 256 kbps [30 KB/s] only !!!

Check your upload connection speed at, for example :
    http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

but there is a lot of internet speed tests around.
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Hi - I tried the speed test as well - nice utility.
    I use the 'Send to Smugmug' Application on my laptop (Windows Vista) and
    it works like a charm :)

- jerryr
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    z_28 wrote:
    but there is a lot of internet speed tests around.

nod.gif we have our own thumb.gif Click my latest test below:

222443763.png
  • Options
    JuliaJulia Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Hey, thanks for posting that Andy.

Things seem awfully slow for me lately... and good lord, look at these results relative to yours! At least I know it's not in my head! Hmmm... must work on this.

222604098.png
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    I've always used the Firefox addon SmugBrowser coupled with the FasterFox utility. It uploads 6 streams at a time this way and it goes pretty quickly, but I have a pretty fast cable connection to the net.
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    222619889.png

Andy - 1783 kbps upload looks somewhat amazing - what's you got ? T3 ???
    eek7.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    HoyBoyHoyBoy Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    I guess I have no room to complain. :D

222911564.png
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    What slow connections!

223698620.png

I keep thinking of upgrading to an even faster connection, but, so far it's been OK. mwink.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    What slow connections!

223698620.png

I keep thinking of upgrading to an even faster connection, but, so far it's been OK. mwink.gif

How do you all get such fast upload speeds? The fastest upload speed I can find here (SF Bay Area) from either AT&T DSL or Comcast Cable is 768kbps. What technology and provider is offering that faster upload speed?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Sorry to drag this back on topic... rolleyes1.gif

I've been very happy with KomodoDrop. Its about as simple an application you can get to use, and its totally hands off once you queue up the files. I recently sent over 900 files, queued them up before I went to bed and it was done in the morning.

thumb.gif
    Markjay wrote:
    Ok, I've been using the "send to smugmug" hack and it works well.
    Just wondering if that's the most practical way to upload (speed wise) lots of photos at once... maybe there are tools I'm not yet aware of?

One lesson I learned... using irfanview to tag the photos one really needs to use the "" marks before and after each and every word you tag and then upload because Smugmug didn't like the words without the quotation marks.

Thank you,
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Thank you!
    You don't have to apologize for bring up this topic again, you were actually helpful! I've now tried three different smugmug uploading applications and..
    I like this one the best so far.

Problem: It's not reading my keywords and caption on the photos.......
    so it leaves me more work to do. That's not my style. One of the other apps did in fact retain my file information / captions and keywords.

Any idea how to tell kimono drop how to KEEP the keywords I spent the time to create inside the files?
    mbellot wrote:
    Sorry to drag this back on topic... rolleyes1.gif

I've been very happy with KomodoDrop. Its about as simple an application you can get to use, and its totally hands off once you queue up the files. I recently sent over 900 files, queued them up before I went to bed and it was done in the morning.

thumb.gif
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Hi Mark, the simple uploader works fastest and best for me, and I upload hundreds, if not thousands of files at a time.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    How do you all get such fast upload speeds? The fastest upload speed I can find here (SF Bay Area) from either AT&T DSL or Comcast Cable is 768kbps. What technology and provider is offering that faster upload speed?

That's the frustrating thing.. it's different everywhere. Here's Cablevision, 2500 miles from San Jose:

222443763.png
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    It's FIOS from Verizon. FIOS is fiber optics. Technically, they COULD offer up to 100mb/s each way! (That's 100,000kb/s up and down.) But, I can't get it yet (no one can). In New Jersey, you can get 20,000kb/s bi-directional right now! And, *I* could get up to 30,000kb/s down and 15,000kb/s upload NOW in CA, but, it's like $350/mo or so... The NJ offering is the same price as my 15/2--but they get 20/20.. argh.

I can use full bandwidth 24/7 given my network.. It's all optimized for the fast fios speeds; low latency, large packet sizes, decreased error detection, etc.. Bumps up your speed a bit over what you'd normally see. Great for multi-threaded downloads or uploads :)

The cool thing is that on a fast connection, I can download an entire CD in about 5 minutes.

FIOS is unfortunately only available from Verizon, and only in select areas. You just need to be lucky... :)

David
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Strips the keywords
    Andy, I've tried the simple uploader. It is fast enough but, it's stripping or at least not showing the keywords and captions I created in my photo files.
    In other words: I create keywords and captions IN each file, but when I upload them through simple uploader....

none of the information shows up under the photos in the galleries.
    That would force me to re-keyword and caption... I don't think so.

So please tell me, what can I do to ensure those keywords and captions STAY and show up in the gallery under the photos... using simple uploaader?

Thanks
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Mark, the simple uploader works fastest and best for me, and I upload hundreds, if not thousands of files at a time.
    Markjay
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    I like my FIOS lol3.gif

LA:

232894008.png

Smugmug:

232894534.png
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I like my FIOS lol3.gif
    232894008.png
    I might upgrade to the 15/15 too... But, I have static IP's (5 total), so, I'm already paying extra money..... We'll see how much more they want. :devbobo
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    I can't speak about speed, but if you're uploading large numbers of photos you might want to consider Star*Explorer. Thread and link to product is at http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=4126.

--- Denise
    Thanks for the plug, Denise, much appreciated! thumb.gifiloveyou.gif
    And I'm happy to confirm that S*E is now back in the game after the "Black Friday" (smugmug security rollout with the album/image keys) deal.gif
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    I might upgrade to the 15/15 too... But, I have static IP's (5 total), so, I'm already paying extra money..... We'll see how much more they want.
    I use DHCP thus far, but I was honestly surprized by how little extra they charged for the 15/15 compared to 15/5 I had before. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I use DHCP thus far, but I was honestly surprized by how little extra they charged for the 15/15 compared to 15/5 I had before. deal.gif
    I'm paying $120 (less a $20/mo credit) for my 15/2 static with 5 IP's. I think the 15/15 is $40 more. I'm awaiting an answer, and... I'm debating if $480/yr extra is worth the money.

David