Options

My Onsite Workflow - Suggestions and Comments

mbg0333mbg0333 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited February 11, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
[FONT=Geneva, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have been doing action shots for various youth events over the past several years. Action shots mainly but league photos and other small events.

I currently have:

4 Viewing stations
1 Editing Station
3 Olympus P-100 4x6 Printer
Epson R200
Epson R1800 for large format printing.
Canon 20D
Sigma 50-500mm lens

All of this works extremely well and have made many event very profitable for me.

However, I am a striving entrepenuer and want to improve. I want to be a cut above the rest. Mainly because I have to make up for my age. Being only 20 years old sometimes causes people to underestiame by abilities. So I have decided to do something that is not done in my area. Onsite printing for everything. When I say everything I mean everything. Action shots, league shots, dances, you name I'll do it. I know alot of people will say that do leagues like this is not worth but I beg to differ. May take more that one day but the turnaround is instant. I feel the biggest complaints is how long pictures take to get back.

My proposed new workflow:

4 - 10 viewing stations running 5minutephoto or EventPhotoSoftware. (cant figure out which one is better)
Very fast editing system running Express Digital Pro for package printing and quick adjustments
2 Sony UPDR100 or 150 - There is a significant price difference but I hope some people have input on which one I should go with. One will be just for 4x6 (7 second print) and other just for 5x7 (less than 30 secs i think).
1 Sony GRD700 - 8x10 -Print in less than a minute
Canon 40d
Another 50-500mm lens
70-200 2.8 throughout.

We are talking about quite a large investment but the instant gratification that all americans crave will make it impossible for a league or tournament to turn it down.

In addition I have a t-shirt press that allows me to make photo t-shirts, mousepads, bags and more on the spot as well.

Any input, ideas, comments, questions would be much appreciated.

This would also cut out the need of a lab as I could do my own lab quality prints at very reasonable prices.

Thanks,
Maxx Gandy
www.mysportphotos.com
www.mbgphotography.com
[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,209 moderator
    edited January 23, 2008
    Maybe you could narrow all the above down to a specific question? I have a difficult time trying to figure out what you are asking us. headscratch.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    First off, let me say congrats on your motivation.

The biggest attribute you have is your pictures. You need to show people what you can do and what the final product will look like.

Everytime you go to the mall, wear one of your shirts with your logo, an example of one of your favorie pics and contact info. Do not make it gawdy and overbearing. Make it slick looking and something every kid would want to wear.

Make a few catalogs to show off your merchandise, picture packages, prices and examples of your work. These catalogs are not for giving away but just as a show and tell when you are hustling for work and showing off what you do.

When you go to sports events to shoot or any event you shoot, bring a sign/stand large enough for people to see you and to get interested in what you do. Plaster the sign with action shots that you have taken to get people excited about what you can do.

As far as equipment goes, you are on your own. You need to figure out what is really neccesary and what is just cool to have. You are not going to make money on items because they are cool to have but you will make money if the items are useful and are productive. Speed is not as important but quality is. Don't just look at hardware as the final cost. You have to look at how much the supplies or refills cost as well. This sometimes adds a dramatic cost to your base fees.

The most important part of your buisness is obviously you. Become a good hard pressing hustler but maintain your professionalism so people take you seriously and you will be on your way to make some cash.

Good luck and never give up on your drive:D
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2008
    Ill be the first to agree that quality photo is the key. The previous company I worked for offered a terrible product and high prices.

That said I feel as thought I have a proven results with the quality and quantity of my pictures.

The current setup I have is great but slow. I'm constantly have to tell customer it will be just another second or can I mail them to you.

I believe that the more people you reach the more likely you are to sell pictures.

So if I have say around 10 viewing stations that gives a more individualized viewing experience, more money.

Also, if a person walks away in minutes with their prints they then have the oppurtunity to advertise for me. Quality picture and quality prints will sell themselves.

Imagine a mom or dad returning to a team meating with 10 photos they went and bought and it only took 10 minutes.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Do you have any shots of your existing setup? Your just talking about how your going to make more sales and not asking any questions. headscratch.gif

Your website doesn't say anything about these on site printing services either.

There are allot of very smart people in here that can help you make the best of any setup you have. But you need to ask specific questions. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2008
    With a revamping of equipment and how I am doing things, comes a new website which is currently in the works.

I guess what I am asking is will this setup increased my sells?

Like I said earlier, if it was your setups what would your change or leave out?

Comments and suggestions on the printers, do you have one? Do you like it?
    What dont you like about it?

My research on the products themselves have been quite extensive! I just want some comments and concerns about from peoples personal experience. Read specs and reviews is nothing compared to what people actually say about them that use them in the field. Now I as get the equipment and begin my setup, my questions will increase!!
  • Options
    CoryKCoryK Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 11, 2008
    My experience
    I used 4 viewing stations last year and plan to add at least 2 more in spring as well as a mobile "roaming station' using a tablet PC for more pro-active sales. Viewing stations are the only way to go. I also believe more stations = more people viewing = more sales. I think the investment is well worth it. Depends on the size of your events and your "booth" but the more you can manage space, power and budget wise the better. It's the age old selling trick, capture the sale when emotion runs highest. I use touch screens as it saves all the mess of keyboards and mice and allows me to have a nice clean set-up with all the screen mounted on along the wall.

I should note that I have the luxury of being in a static environment and in my own 16"x24" sales building. I'm the exclusive photography service provider for a newer race track in Canada. (http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/) My events typically have anywhere from 125-300 participants with me shooting 5-10K images a day. I assess and sort the images by participant and have them for sale via my touch screens within 35 minutes of being captured. (Soon to improve to near real time when I finish my wireless testing this spring) I print onsite with an ML500 and Epson 2400 for larger sizes. I will be reaplcing the ML with a 8x10 Shinko this spring as the ML500 isn't best suited for my mostly 1 off print work. My biggest seller is CDs of images and this year cost per unit (in bulk) has dropped enough to allow me to used Flash memory keys instead of CDs. This will greatly easy the end of day CD burning rush and provide more perceived value to my customers.

As for software I use MetaFlow from Picsphere (www.picsphere.com) as my workflow and viewing station software. It's a new local company close to were I operate, I was one of their early testers and have been using it since last summer and really like it. I don’t know anything about EventPhotoSoftware (do you have their website, I’d love to know more about it?) but I did look at 5minutephotos last year and it wasn’t as complete and efficient as Picsphere. Basically, it combines the workflow of Express Digital and the viewing stations of 5minutephotos, all-in-one package. I went into my business with a clear idea how I wanted to operate and became increasing frustrated by what was out there and how it forced me to work around how they felt I should run my business. When I first meet the guys from Picsphere their idea for the software was very open, let the photographer work how they need to. It's still in beta but they have proven very responsive to my needs and any issues that have come up.