Options

Sorority Formal

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited February 12, 2008 in People
I have shared many photos of my camera ham daughters here, but my son is very camera shy. His girlfriend had a formal mixer at her sorority and asked me to take photos of them. Rather than do the normal shots I do of the kids in the backyard, I took advantage of her wanting photos to finally get some good photographs of my son as well. I had them meet me on the grounds of our state capitol building. They make a good looking couple, and I am proud that they will both earn university degrees in May. I still have a pile to edit, but thought I might share a few.

It was a beautiful afternoon, and there were other photographers everywhere you looked working with other people.

These were all taken with the Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS. It looks to be a good addition to my bag for this type of work.

C&C is always welcomed.

1-Warming up. We had just started at this point. I have noticed that it takes at least 10 minutes of shooting or so for people to relax when doing portraits. At least I tend to get better results toward the middle or end of a shoot.

253373389_aZrPG-XL.jpg

2-My handsom son.

253374719_LfsXp-XL.jpg

3-A BW conversion of the two of them.

253374930_39PtX-XL.jpg

4- She is such a sweetheart.

253374453_vsqZD-XL.jpg

5- Another BW conversion.

253375722_m2cHC-XL.jpg

6-A funky split tone....dancing in the park.(trying something new here....it also has a bit of zoom blur added.

253376198_mHAAj-XL.jpg

7-This one still needs a bit of work, but I really liked the backlighting for the few I took at this particular spot.

253376901_bozzk-XL.jpg

8- Another with a touch of backlighting. The light only lasted a few minutes and was gone.

253377305_cxroC-XL.jpg

9- I intend to work at this one a little more, but the wall was an awesome BG. It is an old...real old...armory building.

253373945_8pjTd-XL.jpg

10-

253373672_M87uE-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I have shared many photos of my camera ham daughters here, but my son is very camera shy. His girlfriend had a formal mixer at her sorority and asked me to take photos of them. Rather than do the normal shots I do of the kids in the backyard, I took advantage of her wanting photos to finally get some good photographs of my son as well. I had them meet me on the grounds of our state capitol building. They make a good looking couple, and I am proud that they will both earn university degrees in May. I still have a pile to edit, but thought I might share a few.

So glad we get to meet your son!!!

1-You are right about the "warm up" part of the session, he looks the most tense here, but it sure does get better! I'm not sure about the shooting angle of this one, but the BG is nice.

2-"My handsome son." No lie!!! iloveyou.gif I thought for sure we'd see more of the girls, but wow, you have been keeping this looker under wraps! I like the colors in this shot, could use a bit more contrast. Did you do a soft filter on this one? I am not a big fan, but that's just me.

3- I like this one, but his face seems a little soft. I liked this one a lot more until I saw the stunners later in this series...

4- Agreed! Love her simple, elegant dress. The pose is not flattering, IMO. Again the processing makes me blink, wondering if my contacts are dirty. It seems "foggy" to me. ne_nau.gif

5- I do like the processing in this one! Love the tone and the lighting. Maybe a lower angle would add to the drama?

6- I like this one a lot! Very fun, like the effect, and I bet they will too!

7-The lighting is GREAT as you said but her expression is a tosser...:cry

8- As Shay would say...HOLY MACARONI! I love everything about this one. Lovely bokeh, sharpness, colors and expressions. Beautifully done! clap.gif

9- OMG, I love this one even more. The background is fantastic! They look relaxed and comfortable here. I like the contrast and the lack of soft focus effect. Very urban and hip without contradicting their formalwear. A touch higher angle would be nicer to her chin, but it's not bad. Very cool shot!

10- I like that you did individual shots of them, something I always forget to do when I'm photographing couples. She's a stunner, and they make such a cute couple.

Thanks for sharing, Jeff!!! Very very nice series, even though I nitpicked a bit, these are VERY VERY nice photos, your consistency is impressive.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    rwdfresnorwdfresno Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    I really like 2,8,9,10. Excellent use of DOF on these. Very nice natural looking lighting. What did you use for fill lighting?
    Ryan Davis
    my flickr
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Hi Lynne,

I appreciate you taking the time for a detailed critique. It is always helpful and entertaining.
    So glad we get to meet your son!!!

1-You are right about the "warm up" part of the session, he looks the most tense here, but it sure does get better! I'm not sure about the shooting angle of this one, but the BG is nice.

They had just arrived and wanted photos in sunglasses. This is the first shot after the sunglasses were tossed. I agree about the angle. They were on higher ground than I. I have mixed emotions about NOT being tall enough to photograph him from a higher angle without a little help. She is as tall as him. They grow up so fast.
    2-"My handsome son." No lie!!! iloveyou.gif I thought for sure we'd see more of the girls, but wow, you have been keeping this looker under wraps! I like the colors in this shot, could use a bit more contrast. Did you do a soft filter on this one? I am not a big fan, but that's just me.

He looks like his daddy?rolleyes1.gif
    I did use a soft focus filter, but also used a mask for his hair, face, and lapel of his jacket and shirt/tie area. I did differnt versions of these with/without such effects. I am ok with the effect in small doses. It is easy....real easy to go overboard with it, and I may have here even though it is used on elements other than my subject.
    3- I like this one, but his face seems a little soft. I liked this one a lot more until I saw the stunners later in this series...

I agree...and that sucks!!!....because it is very sharp in color. I did my favorite LAB mode conversion, but it my not be the best choice for this image. The difference in skin color made it tough to control the contrast. That conversion method zaps midtone contrast, and I plan to try again with some different mothods.
    4- Agreed! Love her simple, elegant dress. The pose is not flattering, IMO. Again the processing makes me blink, wondering if my contacts are dirty. It seems "foggy" to me. ne_nau.gif
    Yes this one is soft. This one was a tad soft before I even started. It is the ONE shot that I wish I had my bag...and 85mm lens for. I have photographed other people against these same columns, and it is tough for my camera to "see" enough contrast in the column's shadow to grab a sharp focus. An F1.8 lens may have helped, but a reflector would have absolutely helped. I have a half dozen or so of her against this column in one pose or other, but have not worked with them yet. Maybe I will give you a peek when I do.
    5- I do like the processing in this one! Love the tone and the lighting. Maybe a lower angle would add to the drama?

A lower angle would have taken it to the next level- agreed. This shot was actually at a much wider angle before cropping, but they were too centered in the composition. It is definately a keeper, and the light was outstanding at this "spot".
    6- I like this one a lot! Very fun, like the effect, and I bet they will too!
    I am sure it will make the cut for their Myspaces!!
    7-The lighting is GREAT as you said but her expression is a tosser...:cry
    I didn't really notice that....thanks.
    I tend to work light and locations pretty good, and will look through the others I have of this pose/location to find a better one. I'm betting that I do.
    8- As Shay would say...HOLY MACARONI! I love everything about this one. Lovely bokeh, sharpness, colors and expressions. Beautifully done! clap.gif

Ok your busted now!!!! I used a soft focus filter here also....but....didn't over do it. That lens is a treat to use, and I was pleased with my flash balance here.( I used flash in ALL of these shots)
    9- OMG, I love this one even more. The background is fantastic! They look relaxed and comfortable here. I like the contrast and the lack of soft focus effect. Very urban and hip without contradicting their formalwear. A touch higher angle would be nicer to her chin, but it's not bad. Very cool shot!
    I am very exited about this wall. Things are about to pick up for me with senior sessions, and I will definately be using that wall. I think I need a three step stool......but am not at all sure I am pleased about you pointing out my .....ahem .....lack of tallness to the entire world wide web.rolleyes1.gif I still owe you for pointing out my "thing for feet" a year or so ago, but unfortunately have not collected enough "feet" shots to pull off the prank I intended to play on you!!!mwink.gif
    10- I like that you did individual shots of them, something I always forget to do when I'm photographing couples. She's a stunner, and they make such a cute couple.
    Thanks for sharing, Jeff!!! Very very nice series, even though I nitpicked a bit, these are VERY VERY nice photos, your consistency is impressive.

Well these aren't engagement photos......:just .....yet

I ALWAYS make it a point to do seperates. They have dated for quite awhile, but it is always nice for parents to be able to have good photos of their kids....especially after going through the trouble of buying expensive clothes or renting tuxedos that may only be worn once. It's all about the Momma's!!!

I have been trying to pursuade them both to do some "graduation" photos. He will be done with school, and she will be starting med school soon.

Thanks again for the detailed critique. As usual, our opinions are in agreement even if I don't like you picking on my camera angle.
    mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    rwdfresno wrote:
    I really like 2,8,9,10. Excellent use of DOF on these. Very nice natural looking lighting. What did you use for fill lighting?

Thanks.

I used a 580EXII flash for all of the shots you see in this post. I have puchased a diffuser, but it hasn't arrived yet. I also used a 1/2 CTO gel on the flash. I have found that it helps to balance the color temperature of my subject to the background very well in outdoor shade. I have had mixed results using that gel in sunlight. I rarely do portraits in direct sunlight so have not really experimented enough to get a good feel for using a gel in sunlight. The flash alone looks pretty close to a match in temp on the candids/snapshots I have used a flash on in sunlight.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I think I need a three step stool......but am not at all sure I am pleased about you pointing out my .....ahem .....lack of tallness to the entire world wide web.rolleyes1.gif I still owe you for pointing out my "thing for feet" a year or so age, but unfortunately have not collected enough "feet" shots to pull off the prank I intended to play on you!!!mwink.gif

I honestly don't remember what you're referring to.....I'm sure I didn't mean anything by it! :uhoh
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Thanks again for the detailed critique. As usual, our opinions are in agreement even if I don't like you picking on my camera angle.

boy, have I stepped on some toes!?(pun intended) rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, I have no idea how tall you are, or how tall the lady is. Most pics that exist of me are up into my neck, so I am probably more sensitive to it than most. All I know is that I'm 5-11 and I usually carry a step ladder to get flattering angles on girls who are almost always shorter than me. But, even if I am taller than them, the lens itself can hit them right on. One of my favorite tricks when I don't have a stepladder is to have the subject squat down, use a thin DOF, and voila...in fact even I look good at this angle.
    189645019_WgSMm-Th-3.jpg
    (photo by Andi)
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    I honestly don't remember what you're referring to.....I'm sure I didn't mean anything by it! :uhoh

From Abigail.....
    Quote:
    3. Again, I love the composition. The only problem I have with it is that her feet keep drawing my eyes away.

Wow, you're digging deep here (teasing!) talking about her cute feet that way! I agree they're distracting from her face, but I'm actually shocked they are so neatly placed....like a little butterfly.

ps. Some 40yo femme footsies in stilletos would REALLy get my attention!! Actually I might find it equally distracting if I saw no feet. I was only telling you where my eyes drifted while viewing. Take it w/ a grain of salt.

boy, have I stepped on some toes!?(pun intended) rolleyes1.gif

All in good clean fun!!!:D

Seriously, I have no idea how tall you are, or how tall the lady is. Most pics that exist of me are up into my neck, so I am probably more sensitive to it than most. All I know is that I'm 5-11 and I usually carry a step ladder to get flattering angles on girls who are almost always shorter than me. But, even if I am taller than them, the lens itself can hit them right on. One of my favorite tricks when I don't have a stepladder is to have the subject squat down, use a thin DOF, and voila...in fact even I look good at this angle.
    189645019_WgSMm-Th-3.jpg
    (photo by Andi)

I am just teasing you.....even about the foot. I should keep a small ladder in my truck always.....and I guess a wagon to carry it and all else around on these photo trips. It never fails, whatever I leave behind is what I wish I had brought along.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    I really like #8 and #10. Having absolutely no experience in the area, I won't comment further. I will attempt to get my son, his girlfriend and some classmates to let me do high school senior portraits this spring. I'll be keeping this thread in mind for inspiration.

Any hints on how to pose a 6'5 guy with 5'4" girl?

ann
  • Options
    jensen photosjensen photos Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Eight nine and ten really blow me away. They have a professional finish and quality about them.

Hats off to you!
    Just call me Jay.
    My photo gallery.
    O mother river, Mississippi sing me your song.
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    These are great!!! Wonderful series. It is hard to single one out of such a fine series, but I love #8. They certainly challenge me to improve.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    2, 4, 6, 8 ,9 and 10! thumb.gif

6 thumb.gifthumb.gif

9 thumb.gifthumb.gif:Dthumb.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Great series. 8 and 9 are by far my favorites. I think the critiques provided are dead-on so I'll stick with those.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Really nice series, keep the great work coming................
    Ann McRae wrote:
    ann

sitting, the use of steps.....lying on the ground (or studio backdrop), split rail fences, her sitting on his lap.......just not standing next to each other (unless it is wedding pics) cause they all will look like a MUTT and JEFF portrait:D (guess that could be MUTT and SHANIA nowdays......)
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I really like #8 and #10. Having absolutely no experience in the area, I won't comment further. I will attempt to get my son, his girlfriend and some classmates to let me do high school senior portraits this spring. I'll be keeping this thread in mind for inspiration.

ann

Thanks for commenting. As for experience, I would say that if you have eyes that work then you are qualified to comment....:D .

I have some decent senior photos in my galleries you might want to look at for ideas as well. For the posing of a tall guy and average girl Art said exactly what I would suggest. Seated poses for the most part, use stairs, and one that he didn't mention was to have him carry her piggy back and get her head in sight above his shoulder. You might consider what you plan to do to at least get yourself at....if not above...his eye level for standing poses. Good luck!!!
    jensen photosEight nine and ten really blow me away. They have a professional finish and quality about them.

Hats off to you!

Thanks....a professional look is the goal!!!mwink.gif
    DavidSThese are great!!! Wonderful series. It is hard to single one out of such a fine series, but I love #8. They certainly challenge me to improve.

Hey David, I appreciate you taking the time to comment. Most of my inspiration is from others here......self inspiration comes in tiny bits and pieces!!

evoryware2, 4, 6, 8 ,9 and 10! thumb.gif

6 thumb.gifthumb.gif

9 thumb.gifthumb.gif:Dthumb.gif

Hmmmm,
    Thats an awful lot of thumbs. I am glad you included #2 in there as it is one of my favorites. Thanks for looking!

TravisGreat series. 8 and 9 are by far my favorites. I think the critiques provided are dead-on so I'll stick with those.

I dunno about the critique.......Lynne thinks I am too short!!!:D
    I appreciate you taking a look and taking the time to comment.

Art ScottReally nice series, keep the great work coming................

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ann McRae
    ann

sitting, the use of steps.....lying on the ground (or studio backdrop), split rail fences, her sitting on his lap.......just not standing next to each other (unless it is wedding pics) cause they all will look like a MUTT and JEFF portrait:D (guess that could be MUTT and SHANIA nowdays......)

Thanks for the kind comments, and I believe your advice to Ann is dead on.