Options

Winter surf in Canada

ShanerShaner Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited February 12, 2008 in Sports
Hey everyone, just a few photos from a day out surfing here on Vancouver Island. We were blasted by a little snowstorm on the coast.
p769393619-4.jpg

p988368870-4.jpg
The drive out there was pretty brutal. I have a 2007 Toyota Matrix...not 4 WD so it was sketchy on the roads there.
p741498451-4.jpg

p599959380-4.jpg

p736276945-4.jpg

p587033038-4.jpg

p549391454-4.jpg
I love living here. The views are amazing. Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy the pics.

Comments

• Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    first 2 are beautifulclap.gif ..too damn cold to surf though
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Gotta love that mid-winter Jordan River swell! Nice shots.

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2008
    Thanks for the compliments. It sure is a beautiful place here.

VI, do you surf at all?

p714533082-4.jpg
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Nope. I've been to Tofino a few times and dragged my butt on a board out to the waves once or twice, but I wouldn't call it surfin. rolleyes1.gif

If you guys have a great idea for a surf shoot one day, PM me and we'll see what we can do. I've only got lenses to 200mm, though, but we'll see what we can get! thumb.gif

Cheers,
    VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    JSJR4JSJR4 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Nice shots. man that water looks cold :)
    Nikon & Nikon Lenses
    www.dgrin.com
    www.pixelperfectforum.com
    MacBook Pro
  • Options
    ASkipASkip Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Shaner wrote:
    Hey everyone, just a few photos from a day out surfing here on Vancouver Island. We were blasted by a little snowstorm on the coast.

The drive out there was pretty brutal. I have a 2007 Toyota Matrix...not 4 WD so it was sketchy on the roads there.

p549391454-4.jpg
    I love living here. The views are amazing. Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy the pics.

Hey, is that the US on the other side of the water in this picture? I have some land across the strait from Canada, and often wonder what's over there on your side. it's beautiful!
    Here's how the surf was in San Diego on the 9th. No snow to make it pretty.
    252816604_ujuwM-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Hey ASkip,

The water is pretty chilly althoug maybe not quite as bad as you would think considering I wear a 6/5/4 mm wetsuit with 5 mil booties and gloves during the winter.

That is the US, and it sure looks close. I figure from where these pics were taken it must be between Neah Bay and Clallam Bay in Wa.

I'm going to be heading down to California(maybe) in about a week and half. I was there last year and can't wait to go back for some waves. It's a totally different feeling wearing 3-4 mm less of rubber.

p767581499-4.jpg
  • Options
    ASkipASkip Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Shaner wrote:
    Hey ASkip,

The water is pretty chilly althoug maybe not quite as bad as you would think considering I wear a 6/5/4 mm wetsuit with 5 mil booties and gloves during the winter.

That is the US, and it sure looks close. I figure from where these pics were taken it must be between Neah Bay and Clallam Bay in Wa.

I'm going to be heading down to California(maybe) in about a week and half. I was there last year and can't wait to go back for some waves. It's a totally different feeling wearing 3-4 mm less of rubber.
    Your pictures are awesome. and people complain that the water is 57 here in SoCal. Have a fun trip down here. It was in the 70's today (air temp) and sets to head high.
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Burrr! Who surfs in the N. Pacific? Lots! As Shaners photos so nicely portrait.

Couldn't resist a plug for a great org., surfrider foundation.

It's a great grass roots group, I support 100%.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Is it safe to assume that if I brought my spring suit or 3/2 that I'd come out to the lineup as an icicle? rolleyes1.gif

Any more, paddling out in a full 6/5 is getting pretty epic. Not to mention the ice cream headaches one gets! But the tubes are soooooo worth it! Thanks for sharing.

Is it bad to tell you I'll be in sunny and warm North Shore next week? :D
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork