Options

First fireworks shots having a clue or the right gear (12 img)

SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
edited February 12, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
So this weekend was Winterfest in Bend. It was the first event I really had a chance to go out with nothing in mind but shoot for fun. So I was really looking forward to it. I'll have a snowboard series coming out in a few days. But wanted to post some of the fireworks I shot.

I only moved here about 6 months ago so I wasn't sure where to set up for the fireworks, so I asked someone and they showed me the closest possible place I could have been. *I was about 200 feet from the mortar base so it was REALLY loud (and fun!). The problem was that it was too close to the action. I had my glass zoomed all the way back to 18mm and still missed some of the action. My camera was literally pointed stright up in the air. I was just using my remote and crouched down a few times to chimp exposure since I was in ss bulb.

So all that talk for this. I know there not the greatest, but I had a blast taking them! Hope you enjoy.

BTW these were all shot w/ my new (new to me) D200!:barb BTW it wasn't the D200 that was the "right" gear. It was having a remote to fire the shutter..

252937395_7gMQF-L.jpg

252937925_WhzbE-L.jpg

252938978_cFUsn-L.jpg

252940057_FBXVG-L.jpg

252941227_nYPCv-L.jpg

252942148_daSQj-L.jpg

252943276_5XLA2-L.jpg

252944176_RYXE7-L.jpg

252944950_hcaXt-L.jpg

252947379_kqzwK-L.jpg

252948309_WEoim-L.jpg

252950486_L8uxi-L.jpg

252949717_B5Uud-L.jpg

Cheers,
-Jon

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    So this weekend was Winterfest in Bend. It was the first event I really had a chance to go out with nothing in mind but shoot for fun. So I was really looking forward to it. I'll have a snowboard series coming out in a few days. But wanted to post some of the fireworks I shot.

I only moved here about 6 months ago so I wasn't sure where to set up for the fireworks, so I asked someone and they showed me the closest possible place I could have been. *I was about 200 feet from the mortar base so it was REALLY loud (and fun!). The problem was that it was too close to the action. I had my glass zoomed all the way back to 18mm and still missed some of the action. My camera was literally pointed stright up in the air. I was just using my remote and crouched down a few times to chimp exposure since I was in ss bulb.

So all that talk for this. I know there not the greatest, but I had a blast taking them! Hope you enjoy.

BTW these were all shot w/ my new (new to me) D200!wings.gif BTW it wasn't the D200 that was the "right" gear. It was having a remote to fire the shutter..

Cheers,
    -Jon

Hey there Jon, you got some great shots here clap.gif
    You'll remember next time to be further away.

Fireworks are really enjoyable for any age group,
    I love listening to the ooooooowwwwwww ahhhhhhhhhh ohhhhhh wwwoooooows from the crowds as each explosion produces rainbows of showered colours into the sky.

Well done Jon, a really nice series you've capture with this lot thumb.gif
    .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Hey Jon-

Good stuff here. I had the same problem at the last fireworks I shot.

Really like 6-9 thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Looks like McDonald's sponsored picture #12 rolleyes1.gif

252949717_B5Uud-L.jpg

Nice shots thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    how did you get rid of the smoke from the fireworks?
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Thanks all for the replies.
    rwells wrote:
    Looks like McDonald's sponsored picture #12 rolleyes1.gif
    Fortunately we live in a very outdoorsy place. So this was about the only McDonald's airplay we get :D Deschuttes (pronounced Deeshoots)brewery funded allot of the event (along w/ US Cellular) so they did have some very tasty McDrinks there...
    how did you get rid of the smoke from the fireworks?
    There were some shots w/ smoke in them. But there was a decent wind and the fireworks didn't seem to give off too much smoke. I'm sure I'll swagger into my next fireworks shoot and have no keepers due to smokerolleyes1.gifrofl
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Now I have even more reason to envy you for living in Bend. Cool shots!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    These are wonderful great work
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    Glad everyone like them:D

I figure it was a good time to post fireworks anyway. This would give us all a fireworks "fix" unti the 4th of July.

All these fireworks were shot over a lake and there's a great viewpoint on the other side (where I wasn't located) that will be perfect for shooting the firework AND getting the lake reflection in there as well! I'm really excited to do that soon..