Options

anyone use online backups ?

TallyHoTallyHo Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited February 15, 2008 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi,

I recently lost my time machine hard drive (but thankfully not my main drive) and so am now thinking i need yet another level of protection.

Has anyone used online solutions such as mozy ? Ive used the 2gb free version and it seems fine but want other people opinions before i commit my backups to it.

Im about to get a raid external drive enclosue so I will mirror my media drive as well as use another external drive as my new time machine drive.

I just think maybe an online solution would be a good idea just incase an asteroid hit the house or something :)

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I know Smugmug does not tout themselves as this, but I consider that since the they house my high-res images and I can retrieve them, they are an online backup for me.

I still do backups at home of course also.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    The only one I can vouch for is Mozy, and you're already using it. I used it for all my business files and never had a problem. Every other morning at 2AM my files were automtically backed up transparently. I would see no reason to switch from that.

As for SmugMug, I think under Gallery Tools there is an item that says "Request Back Up" or something similar. I dont have any of the details for that handy but you might want to look into it.

Chuck Cannova
    http://chuckinsocal.SmugMug.com
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,277 moderator
    edited February 13, 2008
    I use Amazon S3 and Jungle disk. Backups in multiple locations, and not in my house...

--- Denise
  • Options
    scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Originally used jungle disk + s3 but mozy was much cheaper for 100+ gb so I switched, happy with it so far.
  • Options
    storksbstorksb Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    I'm currently using Mozy. I find for the price that once setup I can forget about it and know my backups are being taken care of. I tried S3, but could get the S3 firefox extension to work properly. So I went to Mozy and have been happy since.

Simonrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    FrankFrank Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    I feel that paranoia is better than the expense and grief of losing your stuff. :cry

I use Carbonite for one PC (about 72 GB so far) and Mozy for my newest PC (about 130 GB so far). I've used Carbonite for about a year with no problems and a few partial restores. I've used the free Mozy on laptop and other machines and an unlimited MozyHome account for about a month.

I like both, each has little features and quirks that intrigued me, so I'm continuing with both for now.

I had lots of trouble getting S3 and FireFox to work properly, plus the cost for the amount of data would be exorbitant. Note that the price advantage for Mozy disappears if you are using their Pro (business) version.

I also use SyncBackSE to locally archive to a networked disk and rotate detachable drives with redundant copies. And fianlly, all original photos get uploaded to SmugMug.

At some point I hope to get back to taking and post-processing photos, but in the meantime all of this archiving stuff keeps me off the street. :D

- Frank
    .... .- ...- . .- -. .. -.-. . -.. .- -.--
    "Whether you're rich or you're poor, it's nice to have Money!" - Alfred E. Newman
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    I currently use Mozy. I love it. I backed up 95gb. I brought an external drive to work with the files on it and uploaded on our 3mb T-1 line. Still took 6 days.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    cwphotos wrote:
    I currently use Mozy. I love it. I backed up 95gb. I brought an external drive to work with the files on it and uploaded on our 3mb T-1 line. Still took 6 days.

I would have preferred Carbonite to Mozy, based on the specs I think. But then I found out that you can't backup from an external drive with Carbonite. That was a deal killer for me. Mozy it is, and no problems so far.