Options

exposure manager vs smugmug

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited February 15, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
So first off, I love SM and the service I get here on dgrin.

But... I notice from a thread over on another forum (don't worry Andy, you already chimed in on it) that there's another photo-website service available that offers some options SM doesn't.

Exposure Manager offers full branding on print sales-- inserts, coupons, print packages, etc. Now these are all features that have been requested over and over here, but so far they're not available for SM sites.

I know SM doesn't comment on upcoming features-- though Andy did mention changes to the shopping cart in the thread on the other forum-- but I am wondering if SM plans to offer these same branding services?

If not, I see it as a very viable option to continue to use SM for my main site under petespringer.com, but also get an EM site for $100/year and use my petespringer.net url for my print sales. It would be pretty easy (and seamless) to add a link to my SM site that directs people over to the EM site for print sales.

So the reason I'm posting is that I would MUCH rather use SM for everything-- print and download sales plus my main site. But... and I'm sure I'm not the only one... without the branding and with the hassles over the SM shopping cart (I still get contacted by people who can't use it due to the cookies issue), I'm finding EM a very attractive addition to SM (they take less commission on print sales too).

So before I sign on to EM for the options SM doesn't offer-- I'm just wondering if SM has any plans to address this whole branding issue in the near future. It appears EM uses EZ prints too-- so print quality is not likely to be an issue.

Guess what I'm crossing my fingers for is someone from SM to say, "Hold on-- we're working on branding and plan to unveil something viable very soon." Anyone from SM care to comment on this?

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    So before I sign on to EM for the options SM doesn't offer-- I'm just wondering if SM has any plans to address this whole branding issue in the near future. It appears EM uses EZ prints too-- so print quality is not likely to be an issue.

Guess what I'm crossing my fingers for is someone from SM to say, "Hold on-- we're working on branding and plan to unveil something viable very soon." Anyone from SM care to comment on this?
    You are correct, we rarely talk about future stuff, Pete... but I can tell you that we've had many discussions on "mild branding" in the shopping cart, which would allow some pro identity in the cart. But they are just discussions and nothing's been done yet on it. If I had my way, we'd also have some pro cobranding on the packaging as well. We're not set up for that, yet, either. Something else I've discussed publicly here is the idea of a "thank-you" print that would be included in each pro - order. That too, is only in discussion.

NONE of these things have any timeframe associated with them. But they are all features I'd love to see us get done.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Thanks Andy. That does help. I know you folks watch "the other guys" and obviously these branding ideas are possible, but I'm aware you have many, many other things on the SM plate besides branding.

I'll very, very, very much look forward to the shopping cart changes-- as I'm sure will many others! Thank you prints sound like a great idea-- I'm sure SM knows all about the importance of real people helping out here and through email-- it'd be great to see some of that translate to print sales in the form of branding/thank yous. SM seems very forward thinking and I just wanted to put in my two-cents on this issue. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply. :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    jh4wvujh4wvu Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    More Pro features...when??
    I have been looking into using Smugmug for a project at my full-time job but since it is a state agency we have to go out to bid on these types of services (don't understand though). Since I am having to compare other services it is making rethink my own use of Smugmug (Have 2 accounts).

I would like to use Smugmug but I think a few things are missing that others have such as discount coupons, discount packages, reprint discounts, and volume discounts. Branding in the shopping cart and in the mailing is also a big plus.

Is there any way to tell us that these are on the way pretty soon. They are also going to look at the 15% vs 10% fee and the lower yearly cost.

I keep reading that they are on the radar (for over a year now) but haven't seen any of them added. Again any ideas on when these features would be implemented would be great....

Exposure Manager is looking pretty tempting but would hate to leave such a great company otherwise.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    jh4wvu wrote:
    I have been looking into using Smugmug for a project at my full-time job but since it is a state agency we have to go out to bid on these types of services (don't understand though). Since I am having to compare other services it is making rethink my own use of Smugmug (Have 2 accounts).

I would like to use Smugmug but I think a few things are missing that others have such as discount coupons, discount packages, reprint discounts, and volume discounts. Branding in the shopping cart and in the mailing is also a big plus.

Is there any way to tell us that these are on the way pretty soon. They are also going to look at the 15% vs 10% fee and the lower yearly cost.

I keep reading that they are on the radar (for over a year now) but haven't seen any of them added. Again any ideas on when these features would be implemented would be great....

Exposure Manager is looking pretty tempting but would hate to leave such a great company otherwise.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Hi Chris, we plan on having coupons, packages.. but we don't preannounce dates of delivery, I'm sorry. I wish I had a better answer for you!
  • Options
    MRudlandMRudland Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Chris, we plan on having coupons, packages.. but we don't preannounce dates of delivery, I'm sorry. I wish I had a better answer for you!

I am very excited about the features SM WILL be introducing in the future. They have to do everything they can to stay competitive in their changing market place just like we do as photographers (and not website designers!).

I would still love to be able to have a "thank you" card automatically added to each order that goes out. Or is there a way for ME to add one to each order that is being shipped out? Can we do that? Add to an already existing order with me being the one paying for the 4X6? hhhmmm....

And packages...I'd love to see the coupon thing or a "Order so many and choose one free" option.

And the personalized license download thing I suggested a few days ago.

Laughing.gif Sorry, I'll shut up.

Anyway, I'd like to say that in the almost full year I've been with SM, my entire way of being a photographer has changed. SM has changed my business for the better, my sales have increased so much, and while my sales are small compared to many here, to me it's been an amazing differance. I hope that SM doesn't mind me making some suggestions about features and changes I'd personally love to see. Be assured though, that I recommend SM to everyone. I sing the praises of SM to other photographers, even if they are my own personal direct competition.

This is my ode to SmugMug!

Thanks guys and gals!

Michelle