Options

no one buying my prints after my gig

thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited February 17, 2008 in Mind Your Own Business
I don't understand why no one is buying my prints after my last photo gig. I got nothing but great comments, and I have made a FEW sales, largely digital downloads and I'm so happy and thankful about that. But I don't understand...there were more than 1000 people at this event, but they can't pony up money for a $5 4X6!

Does this happen to you and how do you manage it? Should I have charged the client more up front instead of anticipating that I'd get money from the sales?

Comments

• Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Check the Threads
    thenimirra wrote:
    I don't understand why no one is buying my prints after my last photo gig. I got nothing but great comments, and I have made a FEW sales, largely digital downloads and I'm so happy and thankful about that. But I don't understand...there were more than 1000 people at this event, but they can't pony up money for a $5 4X6!

Does this happen to you and how do you manage it? Should I have charged the client more up front instead of anticipating that I'd get money from the sales?
    1/ Take a few searches through the threads. This has been discussed in great depth before. It's a real eye-opener.

2/ Check your stats and see how many folks have visited and what has been viewed.

3/ Keep in mind that many people just don't seem to want prints any more. At least not ones that cost money.

4/ If you allowed downloads:
    a) you have no way of knowing if someone else might be selling your photos for far less money.
    b) perhaps those folks have posted them to a share site where anyone can grab them and do whatever.
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    xris wrote:
    1/ Take a few searches through the threads. This has been discussed in great depth before. It's a real eye-opener.

2/ Check your stats and see how many folks have visited and what has been viewed.

3/ Keep in mind that many people just don't seem to want prints any more. At least not ones that cost money.

4/ If you allowed downloads:
    a) you have no way of knowing if someone else might be selling your photos for far less money.
    b) perhaps those folks have posted them to a share site where anyone can grab them and do whatever.
    thumb.gif

Sorry, I should have done a search, expecting that this topic had been covered. I was just so upset that I posted before I searched! :)
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    thenimirra wrote:

Can you be more specific about the event, how booked, what type of event, how you promoted your photos to the attendees, etc.

I shoot hundreds of events every year and have learned a few things. Every event is different and I may some insight into that particular type event.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Last year I photographed a ski race. In order to photograph the event I had to sign legal documents with the US Forrest Service, and the Ski Area, get covered by a $2 million liability waiver, and agree to give the ski area 20% of my revenue from photo sales.

When all was said and done, I only sold one image from that event. :cry

It happens. Sometimes people don't want to own a print, they just want to look at the pictures.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    Do Tell -- Please?
    bham wrote:
    I shoot hundreds of events every year and have learned a few things. Every event is different and I may some insight into that particular type event.
    I'd love to hear your insight into event print sales in general. What type generates the most interest? (So far it's weddings, for me.) Which ones tend to flop? Pricing?
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    xris wrote:
    I'd love to hear your insight into event print sales in general. What type generates the most interest? (So far it's weddings, for me.) Which ones tend to flop? Pricing?
    thumb.gif

I don't know if certain ones flop, every event is also an opportunity to meet people who may have a future need. Sometimes getting them to your site is good, but not always. Also I don't mind answering question but to just basically say "Tell us everything you know", I don't have the time, unless you are willing to pay.

The more unique the photo opportunity, the higher dollar value that picture has. I.E. If you are photographing a class reunion and you take a photo of a husband and wife, that is less likely to sell, then a photo of 3 classmates that were great friends in school. Its also why a photographer can charge $1000 just for 4 hours of their time to shoot a wedding, but might be lucky to get $150 to for 4 hours at a birthday party. The once in a lifetime events are more valuable to people then to things that happen all the time. Adjust prices accordingly.

Every event has a sweet spot price where selling the X number of photos for Y price will net you the largest revenue.

Would you want to sell 10 photos at $5 a piece or 60 photos at $2.25 a piece, or say you only sold 40 photos at the $2.25, would you have your photos in more customers hands? Would more people then use you for future events? Is have 10 happy customers better than 2?

Another example that I think is similar is live music? How much do you pay to get into a name concert (Prince, Snoop Dog, Britney Spears, Alabama, Rolling Stones, etc) that seats 30,000 people for a seat in the nose bleeds versus how much you pay to go to the bar down the street to see live music. Well the concert ticket is probably at least $30 but the cover at the bar maybe $5 on a friday or saturday but free during the week.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    Interesting.
    Thanks Bham. Interesting.

I appreciate your taking the time, so I don't want to take too much of it, but I am curious about your experience selling specifically through SM.

Do you find people like to buy prints this way -- especially event photo's?

I charge a good rate to photograph events. Have done for quite some time. So I don't necessarily want to make big bucks off event prints. I jusy want to get them into people's hands without too much overhead. And that's the problem. Folks view on-line, then call me for prints -- even though I've heavily promoted the online order facility. That's cool, but fullfillment takes too much time for too little money, so I'd rather my event clients order directly from the gallery, leaving more time for the commercial clients.

What's your experience?
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    xris wrote:

I appreciate your taking the time, so I don't want to take too much of it, but I am curious about your experience selling specifically through SM.

I charge a good rate to photograph events. Have done for quite some time. So I don't necessarily want to make big bucks off event prints. I jusy want to get them into people's hands without too much overhead. And that's the problem. Folks view on-line, then call me for prints -- even though I've heavily promoted the online order facility. That's cool, but fullfillment takes too much time for too little money, so I'd rather my event clients order directly from the gallery, leaving more time for the commercial clients.

What's your experience?
    thumb.gif

Several things came to mind when I read this post.

If you sell / deliver the prints yourself, is there any additional sales tax you have to charge? If so, that would be one advantage for your customers to order on line.

Another thought would be to have an on line price, and a higher local brick, and mortar personally processed price. An Internet special.

Explain to your customers that you have spent a lot of time developing the Internet option, and the efficiency of this order delivery method is such that if they order on line you can provide their prints at a lower price.

Explain that the on line option will save them money, is faster, and you still provide the same satisfaction guarantee.

Sam
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    Convenience and Quality Prices
    I have two sets of pricing for prints.

My Smugmug prices - they are WYSIWYG - They are up for your purchasing pleasure. Basic Color/sharpening/Straight out of the camera basically stuff.

My Studio prices are not the same - they are higher and they include some touch up, a more deluxe paper and more of my time. I encourage my clients to order direct from me but for example, family members at the wedding generally will order via B&G; But the guests might want a photo and they can order via the Smugmug site - the end use will be different.

And yes, there is sales tax charged to those who buy direct from me. If they buy from EZ prints, I did not deliver them so I don't have to charge Sales tax. They technically aren't buying from me. I am only getting a sales commission from EZ Prints.

Sam wrote:
    Several things came to mind when I read this post.

If you sell / deliver the prints yourself, is there any additional sales tax you have to charge? If so, that would be one advantage for your customers to order on line.

Another thought would be to have an on line price, and a higher local brick, and mortar personally processed price. An Internet special.

Explain to your customers that you have spent a lot of time developing the Internet option, and the efficiency of this order delivery method is such that if they order on line you can provide their prints at a lower price.

Explain that the on line option will save them money, is faster, and you still provide the same satisfaction guarantee.

Sam
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    xris wrote:

What's your experience?
    thumb.gif

I would try to break people of the habit of calling all the time. Like Sam and ChatKat said charge more for in person. I understand some people hesitant of internet purchases, they just are, just explain that an online order takes you 5 minutes (or whatever your average time) to process (assuming proof delay, photos not high end stuff, so good quality but not a wedding portrait), but that fulfilling it locally takes 2 hours of your time and you are going to charge for that. With enough of a price difference, they will either pay it or do it online, or have a family member do it for them online. I have a few people I will do local stuff for but not many. They are either great customers that refer me mulitple weddings or customers that have dozens of events a year. So keeping them happy I have learned is profitable. In the end its about what is profitable and what isn't. What makes you money, and what costs you time, which could be potential money.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    Oh and because of this thread I have added my signature below.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    Thanks all. Definitely of interest. I like the 'studio prints' versus 'WYSIWYG' idea!
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2008
    xris wrote:

What's your experience?
    thumb.gif

I have sold over 10,000 photos through SM for one company (I have different company names for different target markets, and employees for some companies) and haven't had one phone call to order not via online. (Well I take that back I think I have had 2 orders not online) One due to time issue (needed it ASAP like 8 hours later) the other, they didn't have a credit card or debit card. The orders were of sufficient $ that I could justify it.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2008
    bham wrote:
    I have sold over 10,000 photos through SM...
    Interesting. Thanks for the detail!!
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    thenimirra wrote:
    , but they can't pony up money for a $5 4X6!

Curious, I browsed a few of your galleries.

Your 4x6 prices were $12, 9, and 10(LGM).

Your 5x7 prices were $15, 6, and 10(LGM).
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    nipprdog wrote:

not only are the prices confusing (why the big difference in prices between the different finishes? and between the sizes) but, two of the three photos I clicked on were too small to print at any of the listed available sizes (even 4 x 6!). This was in the health expo gallery.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    nipprdog wrote:

If those prices are real, it's no wonder why you're not selling anything. Hell I wouldn't pay $15 to have one of my own prints made into a 5x7! That's like well over a 600% mark up based on a $2.95 5x7 machine print cost.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2008
    nipprdog wrote:

That is a very odd price strategy. Doesn't make much sense to me. So a glossy 5x7 is only $6, but a lustre 4x6 is double that.

I price my glossy and matt the same and then add the right a increase to the lustre to keep my end profit the same.

$15 for a 5x7 is even a little high, on average in my area, for a wedding photo, let alone just an event.