Options

Head on a swivel, West coast Lacrosse

ASkipASkip Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
edited February 16, 2008 in Sports
hi,
Switching from the snowy east coast version, I thought I'd throw in some west coast college club lax action from this weekend. I'm happy that the season is back!
253235331_PhUVc-M.jpg

253247346_E7Xrx-M.jpg
and, ok, bad color, not sharp, but here's someone getting a little horsey ride in front of the goal...(he made the goal too, sadly, because my friend's son is the goalie).
253248477_MxsdT-M.jpg
looking forward to more of you guys's excellent posts of photos!

Comments

• Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    ASkip wrote:
    hi,
    Switching from the snowy east coast version, I thought I'd throw in some west coast college club lax action from this weekend. I'm happy that the season is back!
    Nice! Won't even comment on my weather-envy -- oh wait, I guess I just did! #1 is a great capture; I hope #2 resulted in a penalty!

Lax should really take off on the west coast -- it's a natural. Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    pantherlaxpantherlax Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Great timing and nice ice pick check on #1.

I donno if its just a small group of ppl here, but I like the lax enthusiasum(sp?) on Dgrin...and its only Febuary.
  • Options
    wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Nice work!

West coast must be okay--you get nice weather and now lax is growing there too. What more could you want.

I like the shot of the cross check in the back (#2). Just wish the sunbeam could have also hit the guy in the dark blue as well as the guy hitting him. Might have been a cool--almost spotlighting-effect...

Will
    Regards

Will
    edited February 14, 2008
    wmstumme wrote:
    I like the shot of the cross check in the back (#2). Just wish the sunbeam could have also hit the guy in the dark blue as well as the guy hitting him. Might have been a cool--almost spotlighting-effect...

Will
    Thanks. haha, I'll have the sun move next time.

I had a really hard time with the sun setting while the game went on. One end of the field had a reflective white building behind it and the other end had a black/shadowed hill in the background. Pretty much had to throw away most of the white backgound pictures because the camera was in manual mode and I'm just not fast enough to watch the game and switch the settings at the same time. Guess I shouldn't complain because from now on, most of the games I'll go to are at night under crappy high school stadium lights.
    I'll have to watch for your cool daytime pictures!
  • Options
    oldtimeoldtime Registered Users Posts: 331 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    If your not fast enough in Manual mode set to apeture priority
    Take a few test shots on either end of field and adjust these + or- EV till you get histogram were you want for either end of the field and use that as your baseline
    You can also bump up ISO to maintain shutter speed above say 800
    D-50, D2H,D300
    Nikon 50mm 1.8D
    Sigma 120-300 2.8
    Sigma 70-300-4-5.6
    my Galleries
    http://oldtime.smugmug.com/
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=6707
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2008
    oldtime wrote:
    If your not fast enough in Manual mode set to apeture priority
    Take a few test shots on either end of field and adjust these + or- EV till you get histogram were you want for either end of the field and use that as your baseline
    You can also bump up ISO to maintain shutter speed above say 800
    Or shoot RAW in combination with the above and fix it all later?
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    KED wrote:
    Or shoot RAW in combination with the above and fix it all later?

I've given up on Raw. takes too long to load into photoshop and too much space on the cards, so gee, I'd have to carry half an ounce more stuff to the field. I'm one of those people who takes 500 pictures per game, so, load time into the computer is like a factor to me. Maybe I need a faster computer.... I don't even want to admit that I don't understand the histogram. I imagine there's a tutorial here on it that I should read huh?
    Thanks.
    Anna (askip)
  • Options
    oldtimeoldtime Registered Users Posts: 331 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Here you go
    http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_histogram.html
    ASkip wrote:
    I've given up on Raw. takes too long to load into photoshop and too much space on the cards, so gee, I'd have to carry half an ounce more stuff to the field. I'm one of those people who takes 500 pictures per game, so, load time into the computer is like a factor to me. Maybe I need a faster computer.... I don't even want to admit that I don't understand the histogram. I imagine there's a tutorial here on it that I should read huh?
    Thanks.
    Anna (askip)
    D-50, D2H,D300
    Nikon 50mm 1.8D
    Sigma 120-300 2.8
    Sigma 70-300-4-5.6
    my Galleries
    http://oldtime.smugmug.com/
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=6707
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    ASkip wrote:
    I'm one of those people who takes 500 pictures per game,
    I've yet to figure that out. I shot 2-1/2 scrimmages last weekend (ten 15-minute quarters) and came away with 220 images. I know that your number may be more par for the course for frequent sports shooters, but I just can't find that much to shoot. Do you do a lot of sideline shots, player/coach headshots, etc? I'm taking one of my big lenses to tomorrow's game, and I do plan on doing some of those.

RAW or jpeg, I just would not have the patience, after shooting a game, to come home and sit down at the computer to process 500 shots, and it seems like there's always something to do to nearly every image, even if it's just a crop and an exposure tweak.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    KED wrote:
    I've yet to figure that out. I shot 2-1/2 scrimmages last weekend (ten 15-minute quarters) and came away with 220 images. I know that your number may be more par for the course for frequent sports shooters, but I just can't find that much to shoot. Do you do a lot of sideline shots, player/coach headshots, etc? I'm taking one of my big lenses to tomorrow's game, and I do plan on doing some of those.

I don't take too many sideline shots. Though after seeing the snow pictures I wish I had more pictures of the fans in their sundresses and sandals. hehe.
    I keep hoping I'll get the great picture of the guy winding up for a shot or someone flying through the air, so, pretty much if someone has the ball, I take a picture. I suck but I have fun anyway. kids on the teams like their pictures too. I do take a bunch when they're warming up to try to get my timing set for the game.
    Here's the gallery if you want to see what I take too many pictures of.
    http://scippix.smugmug.com/gallery/4318607_razN9#253231851
    oh, and thanks Oldtime for the histogram link. It's not so mysterious after all.
    :-)
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    ASkip wrote:
    Though after seeing the snow pictures I wish I had more pictures of the fans in their sundresses and sandals.
    Please do post some sundresses and sandals! That would be a welcome sight right about now . . . it's going to be about 30 degrees F. at game time here today! No snow at least.

Checked your gallery. Some cool shots there! There's no such thing as "too much" when it comes to lax shots!