Options

OMG I finally have it!!!

DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
edited February 15, 2008 in Cameras
I'm absolutely beside myself with excitement. There wasn't much to shoot tonight but tomorrow I'll be shooting all day with this bad boy. And man is it heavy. Good thing I'm a beefy guy and don't mind the extra weight.

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
2266171700_99e6ae7328.jpg

I'm sure you all have it as well and I'm just late to the game. I'm happy as my copy is super crisp wide open, something i was concerned about but now I can rest assured.
Modus Imagery
Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876

Comments

• Options
    OzoneOzone Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    You'll love this puppy, as I do. Have fun with it!
    Ozone
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Ooohh...I'm a little envious, I must admit! Congrats and have fun with it! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Congratulations clap.gif

Oh, if you do happen to tire of it.. my birthday is in May :D
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    :jawdropcongrats Images please
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Congrats! I absolutely love mine! I'm sure you will yours as well!thumb.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Ahhh youll hate it, Im serious, but id hate to see you feeling bad about your purchase... if you want to, you can send it to me.. and I will suffer with it.:D

lol... good luck with it, you wont be dissapointed!!
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    AugieAugie Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    It's only a Canon lens ne_nau.gif

JK on the lens

congratats and enjoy
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Why is everyone getting so excited about a can of soda?headscratch.gif
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    It's a mighty fine can of soda. mwink.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    hahaha, yes it is a splendid can of soda..

I decided to display its size by placing it next to some Canon lens for comparison, thus proving that it is, indeed, a properly sized can of soda.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    That is one expensive can of soda... like those $1200 per slice pizza in NYC...

Very nice! I have the f/4 non IS version!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Laughing.gif Welcome to the club. Mine does without IS, but is a spectacular lens. No Canon kit is complete without one of the 70-200 family included. :D
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Very nice. I rented that lens but it was just too heavy for me (even though I LOVED it). I ended up getting the f4 IS which I also love (and is carryable for me).

~ Lisa
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Too Kool!
    W O W !

beer.gif

thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Very nice. I rented that lens but it was just too heavy for me (even though I LOVED it). I ended up getting the f4 IS which I also love (and is carryable for me).

~ Lisa

yeah, I know what you mean. My advantage is that I'm not a little guy to say the least. I'm 6'2" 242lbs and pretty solid(built like a 1D, hahah). So weight tends to not be an issue for me. I just got back from lunch, snapping pics around the city where I work(in Baltimore), didn't really have an issue with the weight.

The one thing that really gets me was the first time I looked through the finder with IS on, it nearly made me toss my cookies. Motionsickness ftl... I think it's a combo of already having a bug and just not seeing what I was expecting.

I will also say that you are completely conspicuous with this lens on your rig. smaller EF-S lenses tend to keep you under the radar, but EVERYONE is just STARING at me while I'm out on the street. Totally not used to it.
    Modus Imagery
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    I will also say that you are completely conspicuous with this lens on your rig. smaller EF-S lenses tend to keep you under the radar, but EVERYONE is just STARING at me while I'm out on the street. Totally not used to it.

That is so true. I take the f4 out and have a few people comment on it (it's funny how people don't think i can hear them as they walk by), but definately not the stares I got with the f2.8.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    this is from last night. iso 1250 or something like that... f/2.8 1/25th

2266171388_ae424f0242.jpg
    Modus Imagery
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    I'm absolutely beside myself with excitement.
    What's that white thing? eek7.gif
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Besides its terrific optical quality, it also doubles as workout equipment to help build neck and arm muscles.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    What's that white thing? eek7.gif

ewwww!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Yea and it doesn't even look like a diet!
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    After having this lens for some time, I would say it has been worth every penny and then some.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    I'm absolutely beside myself with excitement.
    There is absolutely nothing not to like about that lens -- it's a workhorse and a masterpiece at the same time. Enjoy!
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    yukio wrote:
    Besides its terrific optical quality, it also doubles as workout equipment to help build neck and arm muscles.

Cuong

Good in a barfight, too.

I rented this one last weekend, and I can honestly say I was blown away. I pretty much expect all Canon L's to perform as well as you would hope it would do by reading the numbers, that it will be sharp wide open, focus fast, be built well, but the 70-200 f/2.8 IS seemed like it just sort of bent physics to its will to get you the picture you need. Sharp handheld portraits at 1/25th at 150mm just desn't seem possible. This lens feels like it came from the future.

I'm thankful that I don't need one at the moent, because I can't afforrd one but I'm glad to know that its out there and what I can do, so I can rent it when I think I'll need it.

As an added bonus, its long and sharp enough to pull in a portrait shot from 130' away when mounted on one of Canon's XL video bodies, and in the process it looks friggin' bada**! I chuckled every time I put it on the XL-H1 and booted the camera up - it would flash a message saying that it was an "HD Incompatible lens." The 70-200 L, even at that distance, has far and away more resolving power than the lens that came with the camera.

Congradulations!clap.gif
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    Images as requested... Go easy on me as I'm still not used to the focal length or features. I have developed some bad habits not having things like f/2.8 or IS..

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=753370#post753370

enjoy.
    Modus Imagery