Options

Rally Fun in the Snow!

Option1Option1 Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited February 16, 2008 in Sports
Had an absolute ball at the Rallye Perce Neige in Maniwaki, Quebec on Saturday. Best fun you could have standing up (while neck deep in a snowbank).:

1. Jon Nicholls & Carl Schenk, Mitsubishi Evo:
Nichols_Schenk_Evo_Perce_Neige_9feb08_DSC0462.jpg

2. Martin Losier & Shirley Normandin, Mitsubishi Evo:
Losier_Normandin_Evo_Perce_Neige_9feb08__DSC0348.jpg

3. Sylvain Erickson & Chloe Erickson, Subaru Impreza:
Erickson_Erickson_Subaru_Perce_Neige_9feb08__DSC0288.jpg

4. David Legault & Pat Lavigne, Mitsubishi Evo:
Legault_Lavigne_Evo_Perce_Neige_9feb08__DSC0572.jpg

5. Andrew Comrie-Picard & Marc Goldfarb, Mitsubishi Evo:
Comrie-Picard_Goldfarb_Evo_Perce_Neige_9feb08__DSC0546.jpg

6. Peter Thomson & Brian Maxwell, Mitsubishi Evo: (well some of it at least)
Thompson_Maxwell_Evo_Perce_Neige_9feb08_DSC0455.jpg

The rest are at http://www.competitionimages.com/maniwaki_08.html

Thanks for looking and, of course, C&C is most welcome as always.
Neil
:: Sports: CompetitionImages.com :: Words: Blog :: Nature: www.motifwebs.com ::

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Great stuff ! i am yet to try doing some rally photos. How does the snow go ? Do you have ample light with the reflection or too much & need to stop it down ?
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    Thanks Gus!

It was basically a dull, overcast day all day and to add to the fun the snow came down for the last 2 of the 4 stages I shot. Consequently, I shot most of the day at an ISO of 400 on shutter priority with continuous focus and metering set to center-weighted.

All that seemed to give me plenty of shutter speed to play with. In fact at times I probably was a bit conservative and shot a little too fast leaving me with frozen wheels and cars looking like they were standing still. Then again, I'll throw out the excuse that it was my first time shooting rally cars. ;)

Oh and to counter the possibility of the snow fooling the cam's metering, I added +0.7 or +1.0 ev to compensate.

Given that was the first serious shooting I've done with my new D300, I was very pleased indeed with the results. The RAW images out of the camera required significantly less post-processing than I ever had to do with my best day with the old D100.

Thanks again for the kind words,
    Neil
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
  • Options
    KennyKenny Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    Option1 wrote:
    Had an absolute ball at the Rallye Perce Neige in Maniwaki, Quebec on Saturday. Best fun you could have standing up (while neck deep in a snowbank).:

The rest are at http://www.competitionimages.com/maniwaki_08.html

Thanks for looking and, of course, C&C is most welcome as always.
    Neil
    Had a look at your galleries Neil... some really cool stuff there (pardon the pun! :D) Some great images. Looks like you had a ball. I particularly like some of the Subaru shots in your gallery. I'm not sure what lens(es) you were using... but it looks like you were right in the thick of the action! Great stuff.

Cheers,
    Kenny
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    Thanks Arvan and Kenny!

Kenny, I was using my Sigma 80-400mm OS lens on the D300 and, to be honest, I often found myself over-lensed even at the short end. Oh well, know better now. Next time I'll carry two bodies - one with long lens, one short.

Thanks again for the comments.

Neil