Options

Tripod Bag that's good on rivers?

drdoakdrdoak Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited February 19, 2008 in Accessories
What with my upcoming Grand Canyon trip, it occurs to me that a bag of some sort to at least keep my tripod from being constantly soaked and coated in river sediment would be a good idea. I've looked around a little, but I could really use some opinions from you guys. I've got a Manfrotto 190XPROB (around 22.5" folded) and a pretty standard sized ball head.

Thanks!
...and the river flows through our souls...
www.chrislindbergphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Go to your nearest Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mtn., Dicks Sports or Sportmans Warehouse and get a marine bag( the proper name eludes me right now)...at 22.5 or 24" long they will not fit the pod tightly so you also put some clothes or other stuf with it also....but in the photo world I do not think there is anything made for your needs......I was going to point you to LowePro for a Camera Back pack that floats but that was not what you are looking for........

Hope this helps
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    starky987starky987 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    check out kata bags. not sure what the website it but just google "kata bags"

amazingly durable and strong bags. provide a ton of protection. inside is customizable. can carry a tripod with ease and is comfortable with the tripod attached. sizes vary (R-101 backpack is what i have and its the smallest through to the R-103 which is larger). Many bags meant to hiking, and outdoors activities. Although not waterproof if you drop it into the river, all bags come with a waterproof cover to protect it from the rain.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    starky987 wrote:
    check out kata bags. not sure what the website it but just google "kata bags"

amazingly durable and strong bags. provide a ton of protection. inside is customizable. can carry a tripod with ease and is comfortable with the tripod attached. sizes vary (R-101 backpack is what i have and its the smallest through to the R-103 which is larger). Many bags meant to hiking, and outdoors activities. Although not waterproof if you drop it into the river, all bags come with a waterproof cover to protect it from the rain.

I think he was looking for a 'TRIPOD BAG'....LowePro is the ONLY Camera Back pack(that I know of) that is totally water proof and floats - they have 2 models but the tripod is on the outside and will still get drenched while in the boat from the spray........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    tripod is on the outside and will still get drenched while in the boat from the spray........
    That wouldn't bother me too much.... I put my Slik tripod in the dishwasher when it get's too dirtyrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited February 16, 2008
    Or you could pick up a good dry bag from REI or some such. Wrap your tripod
    in a towel so that it's protected, stuff it in the bag and close it up.

Ortlieb is one such manufacturer.

Enjoy the trip!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    That wouldn't bother me too much.... I put my Slik tripod in the dishwasher when it get's too dirtyrolleyes1.gif
    Me either as mine have been in rivers, mud, gook and I just tear them down and clean them up and they are ready to go again.

Mine just get strapped to the side of my MC when I'm out on it...or across the grab bar depending on which pod I am carrying................

ian408 wrote:
    Or you could pick up a good dry bag from REI or some such. Wrap your tripod
    in a towel so that it's protected, stuff it in the bag and close it up.

Ortlieb is one such manufacturer.

Enjoy the trip!

Dry Bag...that is what I was calling a Marine bag.....they are very heavy Poly with zip lock tops....some are Yellow and some I have seen are clear.

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

Really?
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Really?
    Yup. Why not? The few metal pieces on it won't rust. And cascade does a bang up job getting it cleaned. mwink.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    I had to cross a deep fast running stream the other day to climb up on a boulder in the middle to get a photo (of which someone took a photo of me doing so) so i took my camera off my tripod..threw the tripod 30 feet into the shallows towards the boulder ...got across to the rock...retrieved the tripod from the bottom of the stream & re-attached the camera & then lightly threw the both of them 8 feet up onto the boulder so i could climb up & get the photo.

I may sit this thread out for advice.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    gus wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif
    Sounds like I should too!
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif
    Sounds like I should too!
    No greater device invented for clearing bush out the way...something to jam between 2 trees to climb with or being ready to defend a brown snake off with...i give you my "manfrotto 190 pro with a 222 head "
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Yup. Why not? The few metal pieces on it won't rust. And cascade does a bang up job getting it cleaned. mwink.gif

rolleyes1.gif I learn something new everyday rolleyes1.gif

Next time mine is dirty I will remember to throw it the dishwasher.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    gus wrote:
    I had to cross a deep fast running stream the other day to climb up on a boulder in the middle to get a photo (of which someone took a photo of me doing so) so i took my camera off my tripod..threw the tripod 30 feet into the shallows towards the boulder ...got across to the rock...retrieved the tripod from the bottom of the stream & re-attached the camera & then lightly threw the both of them 8 feet up onto the boulder so i could climb up & get the photo.

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Send me your email and I will forward the video (wav file) of the bungee jumper.

• Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Send me your email and I will forward the video (wav file) of the bungee jumper.
    Yeah i saw it ..its an old beer ad from here.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Well in case you are looking to keep your gear, possibly the tripod, dry....I can recommend the Seattle Sports dry bags. I have a Super Lattitude, that is a fold-seal bag, and offers a purge valve for getting rid of air in the bag for nice compression.

http://store.seattlesportsco.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=11&idproduct=19

I actually put my entire camera bag in this when I go paddling in the kayak, and never had a problem. The largers sizes will likey fit your tripod, but I don't think I would put mine in it, I would just get over it getting wet.
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    The tripod should be ready for use at any time on the road. It would be better off to hang around and handy.
    Putting in a sealed water proof bag is just too troublesome.
    I got a cheaper Slik 340 AMT comes with the head for travelling and rough use then keep the more expensive Giottos for serious business.
    It is small enough to be put together with clothes and packed in a large dry bag when you don't use it or check in to the flight. The clothes can provide sufficient cushion to protect the legs and the head. It is dangerous to pull the tripod out from the drybag when you are on the river. Get prepare before starting the boat.
    Anyway, the tripod and head don't have any electronic parts to protect. Wash it with water and airdryne_nau.gif, then ready for next use.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    goofrygoofry Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    If you looking for a bag just for carrying and to keep a little dirt/dust off, I would suggest a bag that is used for those cheap fold up chairs. They are made of a thin canvas (usually) and fit a tripod very well. They also have a sinch string for closing which makes it easy to access.

You can usually get the chair/bag at places like Walmart for less than 10 bucks. Throw away the chair and use the bag.
    Goofry

http://www.spotlightpicture.com

A bunch of Canon Stuff.
  • Options
    SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Umm goto your local Super Wally World, Target, Linens-N-Things or supermarket and get some of these Zip n'Go or regular Space Bags.

main_section_01.jpg
    ==> https://www.spacebag.com/zipngo/912208

space_bags.jpg

Don't worry about using a vacuum on the regualr Space Bags you can press and roll the air out and then seal it up nicely. Might as well have some extra bags for your clothes and anything else you don't want wet or just to use at home for storage too.

:dgrin
  • Options
    bhowdybhowdy Registered Users Posts: 658 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    You could go to the nearest FedEx, UPS or Airborne location and get a plastic blueprint shipping bag. It would then be possible to close the plastic bag securely and place it in the regular tripod bag.

The tripod would be safe from the water ... the tripod bag, not so much. Depending on the size the bag and tripod might both fit inside the blueprint bag.

Bob
    Maryville, TN.

http://bhowdy.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Build a case out of 5" ABS piping with a quick remove cap on it. You could mount it (lash it down) somewhere on the boat and people would be less likely to step on it, and it would be well protected, reasonable accessible, and probably float if it got loose in a capsize. I've seen pictures of a similar set up mounted on motorcycles.

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    drdoakdrdoak Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    The PVC pipe idea sounds pretty good, but it'd be harder to pack in the luggage (which I'm supposed to keep to one bag). Most everything else just seems like more than I need. I've got a strict limit on the size of my day bag, so I've gone with a LowePro Slingshot 100 that I'll slip into a dry bag that goes into their provided dry bag. Ought to stay dry ;). I suppose I'm not sure just how concerned I am to keep the tripod dry, but I'd also not mind keeping some of the river silt out of the ball head. And keep it from getting too banged up. That and it's easier to rig onto the boat (I'd imagine) when inside a bag.

Thoughts on how I might go about carrying the tripod? I've got some larger LowePros that have the tripod straps, but they fall outside my size limits. Maybe there's a different bag I should be using for all the gear?

Here's the excerpt that spells out the daybag:
    Waterproof Day Bag - This bag is for all items you need access to during the day. It is not tubular shaped like the other dry bag, rather it is shaped like a manilla envelope. When laying flat and empty, it measures 2 feet in length and 1 1/2 feet wide (don't forget to leave room to roll it down at the top). Although it is much smaller than the other dry bag, it has sufficient room to hold those items you may need access to during the day. The items you keep in your day bag may vary from day to day, depending on the weather conditions. It is not a backpack.
    Items To Keep In Your Day Dry Bag
    • Water Bottles
    • Rain Gear
    • Long Sleeve Cotton Shirt and Pants (for sun protection)
    • River Guidebook
    • Hip Pack or Small Daypack for side hikes
    • Hat
    • Camera
    • Sunglasses
    • Polypropylene Long Underwear
    • Binoculars
    • Sunscreen
    • Hiking Shoes (if different from those you wear on the raft)
    Thanks for all the thoughts so far!
    ...and the river flows through our souls...
    www.chrislindbergphotography.com
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    I would take the ball head off, and put in your slingshot...if you are worried about it. Get a luggage strap, and clip it to the tripod, and carry just as it is.