Options

Guess this lens.. :)

DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
edited February 19, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Guess precisely which lens took this photo(not which lens is IN the photo.. lol)

The answer might surprise you.

I'll give you a hint. No adapters, filters, or tubes were used. Just lens and subject. Also EXIF doesn't properly reflect this lens as my camera doesn't correctly report its settings. So you must guess based solely on this photo. :)

2273582732_58fb39b89d_b.jpg

No cheating!! lol
Modus Imagery
Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876

Comments

• Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Your lens? Not mine? (Yes!)

Maybe an 18-55 kit?

a very coool L lens?

Another kit?

And, BTW, thanks for an up close and personal look at my next lens...quit teasing!
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    Guess precisely which lens took this photo(not which lens is IN the photo.. lol)

The answer might surprise you.

I'll give you a hint. No adapters, filters, or tubes were used. Just lens and subject. Also EXIF doesn't properly reflect this lens as my camera doesn't correctly report its settings. So you must guess based solely on this photo. :)

No cheating!! lol

The one listed under the photo as the 18-55 Ultra Wide? :D ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    The one listed under the photo as the 18-55 Ultra Wide? :D ... Skippy :D

Ok, I said no cheating.. hhahaha clap.gif

Yes, it's the 18-55 kit lens, but it's been hacked. the outer barrel has been moved inward a track, which 1) makes it much faster, as you can see by the bokeh and 2) makes it ultra wide macro. The only down fall is that it has a maximum focus distance of about 24 inches. But a minimum focus distance of zero inches. I can literally point my camera up and put a penny on the lens and focus on it, but also do so without obstructing the background. It's really a weird combination. Another huge advantage of this hack is that there's not the typical wide-angle distortion because I'm still staying within the original focusing ratio.

So I'd venture to say that it's closer to a 2.8(no exact number) now(due to elemental shifts by moving the barrel) and probably around 15-18mm at it's widest, but slightly wider than stock.

I call it a hack, but honest it was an accident. I had the lens on my camera and sat my camera on the couch. I kicked back and landed my heel right on the lens, jamming the barrel down off it's track. I sat there for a week and about cried... One day I decided to look at the lens again, and the one thing that I didn't try was focusing on something up close(I thought all was lost when I couldn't get it to focus across the room).

So now I have this very unique ultra-wide angle macro lens that I use for product shots and other interesting angles.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
  • Options
    prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    hahaha nice one!! great job skippy!!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    That's way cool :ivar

Now, if someone could put together a tutorial on how to do the same thing on purpose thumb.gif

Wish I had kept the kit lens... worth trying with an old cheapo 35-80 f4-5.6 mkIII?
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    I had the lens on my camera and sat my camera on the couch. I kicked back and landed my heel right on the lens, jamming the barrel down off it's track.
    This is one hack that I do NOT intend to try at home! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    Actually, I'm working on a way to make the lens convertible. it's current settings are super unique ,I'd like to be able to switch between normal and superwide macro.

I'll keep everyone posted. I'm going to buy another 15-88 kit lens off ebay and disassemble it and see what I can come up with. Chances are it'd only be AF in normal mode but manual in macro-mode.
    Modus Imagery