Options

Err 99, seriously fed up.

thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
edited March 6, 2008 in Cameras
I've been struck by the dreaded Err 99 problem with my 1ds MkII and it's really cheesed me off.

This camera is only a few months old and has spent most of its time indoors with any outdoor work in pretty temperate conditions, has received no knocks and still looks new.

I've done all the obvious, tried different lenses, different cards, taken the battery out, taken the coin battery out reset the camera, cleaned the contacts etc, still no joy.

The camera behaves normally until you try to take a picture, you hear the aperture changing then nothing, the error message appears. If I turn the camera off the shutter fires as soon as I turn it back on again.

Anyway the one last thing I thought I'd try having read that it sometimes works was to reinstall the firmware, trouble is I can't download it from the Canon site as you have to enter the camera's serial number but when I do that it just tells me my camera is up to date, great, does anyone have the 1.1.6 firmware?

Charlie

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited February 3, 2008
    Charlie,

What happens when you use the DOF preview?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    Sounds like a trip to the Factory Service Center of your choice. I would think this would be well covered under warranty.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Charlie,

What happens when you use the DOF preview?

I can hear it working as usual, it's the same as when I try to take a picture I just hear the same thing as the DOF preview but the shutter doesn't fire, however if I keep pressing several times the shutter does eventually fire but oddly, through the viewfinder I can see the aperture changing after the shutter releases, it's as though they're out sink.

Whatever happens no images are recorded.

Charlie
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    I can hear it working as usual, it's the same as when I try to take a picture I just hear the same thing as the DOF preview but the shutter doesn't fire, however if I keep pressing several times the shutter does eventually fire but oddly, through the viewfinder I can see the aperture changing after the shutter releases, it's as though they're out sink.

Whatever happens no images are recorded.

Charlie

Gotcha.

If you still want to try reinstalling the firmware I suggest you contact Canon support directly via e-mail and explain the problems you are having and why you need the firmware.

If you don't have the Canon Care e-mail address for their professional line, I can e-mail it to you if you want.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    I too think it's time to send it in to Canon for repairs.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    Thanks guys, this is going to have to go on the back burner, my wife went into labour shortly after my last post and about 3 hours later we have a new baby boy.

Fortunately I have a 20D to take some pics! I'll have to try and sort out the 1ds shortly.

Charlie

No name as yet (we weren't prepared, wasn't due till the 14th):-

250808248-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    Wow! Congratulations! clap.gifclap

I hope everyone is OK.

Best,
    ziggy53
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    re-boot?
    have you tried a reboot through the the pin hole on baseplate?
    thebigsky wrote:
    I've been struck by the dreaded Err 99 problem with my 1ds MkII and it's really cheesed me off.

This camera is only a few months old and has spent most of its time indoors with any outdoor work in pretty temperate conditions, has received no knocks and still looks new.

I've done all the obvious, tried different lenses, different cards, taken the battery out, taken the coin battery out reset the camera, cleaned the contacts etc, still no joy.

The camera behaves normally until you try to take a picture, you hear the aperture changing then nothing, the error message appears. If I turn the camera off the shutter fires as soon as I turn it back on again.

Anyway the one last thing I thought I'd try having read that it sometimes works was to reinstall the firmware, trouble is I can't download it from the Canon site as you have to enter the camera's serial number but when I do that it just tells me my camera is up to date, great, does anyone have the 1.1.6 firmware?

Charlie
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    gman33gman33 Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Beautiful baby

Sorry to hear about the camera...hope it gets resolved quickly

Ed
    Ed G - Philadelphia, PA
    http://ergphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    Thanks Ziggy and Ed, we're going to have our hands full now mwink.gif

Greg, I don't think the 1ds MKII has a pinhole?

Charlie
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    Well I rang up Canon and discovered my nearest pro camera service centre was only about 25 minutes away so I dropped it of earlier today, fortunately I have a couple of months left on the warranty.

I'll let you know what the verdict is when they get back to me.

Charlie
  • Options
    ShorthairShorthair Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 20, 2008
    Congrats on the new arrival! Far outweighs the bad stuff, anyhow quick question. Can the 40D or semi pro line also have the 99 error? I'm curious at what you learn about it after the repair is done.
  • Options
    jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Shorthair wrote:
    Congrats on the new arrival! Far outweighs the bad stuff, anyhow quick question. Can the 40D or semi pro line also have the 99 error? I'm curious at what you learn about it after the repair is done.

Good Afternoon,
    I had the dreaded 99 error once with my XT. I cleaned the contacts on the camera body and lens (Tamron 17-50 2.8) with chrome cleaner and a q-tip. Never had another error.
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    Lesley BrayLesley Bray Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Error 99
    Can the 40D or semi pro line also have the 99 error?

The answer is YES - my 40D showed the dreaded 99 error after I changed lenses a couple of weeks ago. Less than 1000 clicks.
    Took it back to the camera store, camera worked perfectly fine when I showed it to the manager, that part was frustrating, it was sent back to Canon for repairs - waiting for its return.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2008
    I collected my camera from Canon today, the engineer's report reads:-

Dismantled, mirror box repaired, optics and sensor cleaned.

So a fault with the mirror box but no detail as to why it may have failed.

Charlie
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:

Charlie

Sounds like Canon sucks ;P.

P.S Glad you got things worked out ;p.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2008
    Mike02 wrote:
    Sounds like Canon sucks ;P.

P.S Glad you got things worked out ;p.

Well I was somewhat bemused that of all the Canon equipment I've owned over the years, the most expensive and supposedly most robust was the thing to fail.

Still I was pleased they got the repair done so quickly and efficiently.

Charlie